Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be keeping your ipad mini?

• Yes!

Votes: 216 68.6%
  • No

Votes: 55 17.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 43 13.7%

• Total voters

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Between the wonderfully hyperbolic keynote and the excruciatingly negative postings, I was left scratching my head, debating whether to buy or to skip. There is a Best Buy on the way to work, so on Friday morning I made the detour and stood in line for 45 minutes.

I know all about the competition, their specs and prices. So the decision to pay more had to be justified in some way, which I did as follows:

1. With a mini I would be able to reuse 100+ iPad apps that I already own. Granted, many are free and others are low cost, which means it's not quite the same as switching between Nikon and Canon when you have a big investment in lenses. But reusability of existing 100+ apps meant preserving the whole user experience and bringing it down to a smaller and more portable device. Many of these apps are beautifully designed and I'm not sure the Android or Windows equivalents are as good.

2. Specs are perfectly acceptable. The screen is the only detractor, but the mini's individual pixels are smaller than the iPad 2's, and they are squeezed into a smaller area. It's not Retina quality, but the screen is quite acceptable. Without having to push 4 times as many pixels, the iPad mini can extend battery life and render/scroll the screen more quickly. The A5 is no slouch. And built on a 32-nm process, it is more power-efficient than when it debuted.

3. Build quality and industrial design are important. Many people think these are non-value-added factors. They cannot bring themselves to put a price tag on build quality and/or industrial design. My own purchasing habits over many years show a reverence for both design and build because they bring additional satisfaction-of-ownership.

So what do I think of the iPad mini after 3 days?

a. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I am. When Steve Jobs introduced the original iPad, many just saw it as an iPhone with a big screen...until they actually used it. The iPad mini is like that too. The reduced size, weight, and thickness are almost subliminally appealing.

b. Every now and then I try to imagine what a Retina display on the mini would look like. The mini already has higher PPI than iPad 2 and smaller individual pixels, but of course Retina would give it a palpable boost. But if that means bigger battery, thicker chassis, beefed-up processor, and increased weight, then no thanks. Recall that iPad 3 gained a bit of thickness and weight for these reasons.

Am I keeping it? Yes, absolutely.

Is it more expensive than competitors on specs alone? Yes.

Is it more expensive than competitors on specs + build + design? Not in my opinion.

The mini isn't cheap, but it's a product I'm happy with.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I will be selling this Wi-Fi version I got, today I forgot my S3 and it felt useless.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I will be returning mine. Love everything short of the screen. It's just not enough to justify almost 500$ for the 32gb. I will definitely get the next one if it's retina.

lolnick

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I will be returning mine. Going from retina display devices for two years down to low resolution quality of the mini drives me nuts. i cant stop noticing it. When the mini with retina display comes out the original mini will be completely worthless in resale value unlike other apple devices.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I will be returning mine. Love everything short of the screen. It's just not enough to justify almost 500$ for the 32gb. I will definitely get the next one if it's retina.

Yeah, I also spent close 500 bucks on a 32GB (no 16GB avail) and didn't feel comfortable so returned it. Nice little toy but can't get used to low res when u have a retina one.

BC-2

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2012
I had a LTE mini on order but canceled it after seeing it in person at the apple store. The screen isn't horrible but not nearly as crisp as the retina displays that I've become accustom to with my iPhone and rMBP. If I didn't have these, I probably would be ok with the mini's screen. I have become spoiled and just can't go back. While at the apple store, I played with the 4th gen iPad and ended up buying a 16g wifi to hold me over until the mini gets retina or the iPad 5 comes out.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Happily keeping mine! I've owned the iPad since the day it came out, and I find myself using this a lot more. The form is just perfect for me!

brownn

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Love everything about my iPad mini - apart from the screen. Its a real deal breaker for me. It didnt seem too bad in the store, but on getting it home and using it in "real life scenarios" its just too much of a deal breaker for me, especially when side by side with my aged iPhone 4, so back to the sheffield meadowhall store it goes!

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest

I agree. I use my iPhone 5 a lot and reading on it is better with retina display. The mini really couldn't do anything my phone can't so I didn't feel I needed it nor could justify spending over $400 for the 32 GB model.

bacsi

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
Loving it much more than I thought and am upgrading to the LTE. The ipad 2 is great but this is so much more portable, can sling it in my purse and take it anywhere so LTE will be more useful for me.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
I wouldn't mind trading my iPad 2 for it. I use iPad only once or twice a month for an hour or so, and for only 1 very specific app. And smaller size would make it easier.

As for general comfort, a 10" Android tablet works for me, functionality and size-wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.