Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Precisely. Apple had to update their macbooks too recently to curb battery drain. I know. I got it on my Air a few months ago.

I have no doubt that someone saw the issues with those phones and spouted something along the lines of "The battery life sucks on the iPhone4s/Galaxy S III/Nokia Lumia 800. Just a fact", and we know they were eventually fixed.

I just hope LG and Google have sorted what we've seen out once I take delivery of my Nexus 4.

I have bought the extended battery for my Galaxy Nexus which helpes the thing chug along more during the day. As long as the N4 matches it I'll be ok. :D

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Same could be said about NFC.

iPhone 5 didn't have it so therefore it was worthless and not needed.

Such hypocrites the Apple fans!

people don't judge the nexus 4 for lack of LTE at least not apple users, but look on how they defend it for the lack of LTE!! I'm just saying how android users are so damn annoying about the iPhone and how they try to switch people to android with their basement dwellerness about how android rocks

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
people don't judge the nexus 4 for lack of LTE at least not apple users, but look on how they defend it for the lack of LTE!!

People are not judging the Nexus 4 for lack of LTE? Ha, where have you been? Even Android fans are judging it for lack of LTE.

No one is defending the lack of LTE (what a silly position to take). Many of us have said numerous times that we hope Google will eventually release carrier specific versions that can include LTE/CDMA and be subsidized through the carriers. I myself have pointed out repeatedly that it's actually imperative for Google to do this if they want the Nexus branding to really take off.

But, having said that, realize that this is an unlocked device. Unlocked phones typically don't come with LTE. Not even the iPhone 4/4S. The thing is what Apple decides is what we get so when apple didn't offer LTE last year, that was that - that's what people had problems with. If you wanted an iOS device you were out of luck. Whereas with Android, if LTE (or SD expansion or removable storage) is that important you can still get it. It's not like LTE doesn't exist with Android anymore and we're all suddenly back peddling on it. That's the freedom of choice. They're not always easy decisions because there are tradeoffs. But hard choices are better than no choices.

I'm just saying how android users are so damn annoying about the iPhone and how they try to switch people to android with their basement dwellerness about how android rocks

We're here to discuss alternatives to iOS. You're welcomed to leave the Alternative forums. You're only annoying yourself by coming in here, knowing what the topics will be about, and getting mad at them.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I don't care if the Nexus 4 or the iPhone have LTE, here in Spain there are no LTE networks deployed so if it is cheaper with HDSPA+, better for me.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Can you include a title? Or a sentance up top that just says " PETITION AGAINST CAPPED NEXUS STORAGE "

or something?

cause I know many peolpe aren't going to bother reading the whole thing so hopefully you can grasp their attention with a good title. Also maybe it should say "SIGN PETITION" or something.

You mean the one at the top that says "Petition to get MicroSD slot in Nexus phones"?
It is there.

As for changing the I to We...seems somebody already did or i never had I in there....lol. Thee 35 sigs now but obviously need a lot more.

Last edited:

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I hope software fixes the issue soon, because that battery life isn't looking too good. The iPhone 5 has amazing battery life because of the optimized hardware, which throttles the CPU from 1.3GHz (intesive apps) down to just 500MHz (videos, texting, email). Maybe google has the N4 running on all cylinders at maximum speed all the time? Who knows?

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
You mean the one at the top that says "Petition to get MicroSD slot in Nexus phones"?
It is there.

As for changing the I to We...seems somebody already did or i never had I in there....lol. Thee 35 sigs now but obviously need a lot more.

48 now :)

Nice, so where exactly are you going to send this letter to?

come one people sign up....and if you signed up sign up again :) I'm curious to see a reply from Google.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nexusphones/signatures

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

come one people sign up....and if you signed up sign up again :) I'm curious to see a reply from Google.

Ill send it to them somehow when i get a lot of sigs. I posted the widget code for anybody who wants to put it on their blog or website, or they can just use the link with their own Title with the link in it.

I set it for 1 million sigs and dont expect that much but certainly if i only get 100, that wont help.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Please explain the disparity in battery life across different reviews? Many have stated it gets them through a full day with moderate use.

Please explain how LG and Google can both claim 15.3 hours talk time and 330 hours standby time if it's not even anywhere near that?

Testing unfinished software is hardly a fact of anything but the results of unfinished software.

The screen is the biggest battery drain.

Screen isn't on during talk.

15 hr talk time.
8 hr video playing
4 hr web browsing

Similar results between the LG Optimus G and nexus 4

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Review from CNET UK: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/google-nexus-4-review-50009629/

Not a very thorough review, but it scored well in their benchmark test:

To see how it stacks up against the competition, I booted up my benchmark test and hit go. On the Geekbench test, it returned a frankly astonishing score of 1,975, putting it just below the powerhouse Galaxy Note 2 and far above the S3. It did similarly well on the CF-Bench test, where it managed to achieve 13,207, again well clear of the S3.

Clearly, the Nexus is a proper shirehorse and that's exactly what I found in my day-to-day testing. Swiping through the homescreens and loading menus was immediate and free of any lag, as was switching between running apps using the multi-tasking bar.

EDIT:
Can you imagine what the reviews would have been like if Google had shipped final software builds instead? Oh well.

A member at the XDA forums said it best:

"You're free to believe what you want, but a quad core Snapdragon Pro, running more slowly than its dual core sibling (which has also a lesser GPU), and slower than its IDENTICAL TWIN sold under another name (LG), doesn't sound right to me and makes me think that there were issues during the test (either of HW, SW or methodology nature)..."

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
It still confuses me why Google would even send out review units with unfinished software. I think they have gotten every other aspect of this Nexus launch right so far. Oh well, there is always one blunder.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
It still confuses me why Google would even send out review units with unfinished software. I think they have gotten every other aspect of this Nexus launch right so far. Oh well, there is always one blunder.

It's tradition. : rolls eyes :

[Speaking specifically about smartphones...]

No seriously, Google sucks at launching these things. The Nexus One had no fanfare whatsoever, but was ironically the "best" Nexus launch. The Nexus S was released via Best Buy and was delayed for a reason I don't remember. The Galaxy Nexus was exclusive to Verizon and was delayed (by Verizon, though) and came with bloatware (then ended up a mess that would eventually lead to Google hating carriers). And now the Nexus 4 with unfinished software to tarnish early reviews.

This year is particularly critical for Google and the Nexus smartphone because it's so obvious they're trying to attract the average consumer away from carrier contracts with better build quality, with the low price point, and the establishment of the Play Store. It's also vital for the Nexus line to take off so Google can forge the relationship they want with the carriers for future LTE/CDMA devices. This isn't the right start.

Oh well.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Not only forging relationships with the carriers for LTE, but I think anyone looking at the Nexus 4 is going to be the type like us to go look at reviews online. And people are going to see these so-so reviews with unfinished software.

Potential loss of sales for Google.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
It's tradition. : rolls eyes :

[Speaking specifically about smartphones...]

No seriously, Google sucks at launching these things. The Nexus One had no fanfare whatsoever, but was ironically the "best" Nexus launch. The Nexus S was released via Best Buy and was delayed for a reason I don't remember. The Galaxy Nexus was exclusive to Verizon and was delayed (by Verizon, though) and came with bloatware (then ended up a mess that would eventually lead to Google hating carriers). And now the Nexus 4 with unfinished software to tarnish early reviews.

This year is particularly critical for Google and the Nexus smartphone because it's so obvious they're trying to attract the average consumer away from carrier contracts with better build quality, with the low price point, and the establishment of the Play Store. It's also vital for the Nexus line to take off so Google can forge the relationship they want with the carriers for future LTE/CDMA devices. This isn't the right start.

Oh well.

A lot of the complaints about Android, specifically fragmentation, poor implmentation, lack of updates, bloat, etc are largely due to what the carreirs did to the OS. Stripping it, skinning it, not updating it, loading it with needless crap and slowing it down, etc.

In that sense I do not blame Google for wanting to take control of the OS and not put it with the carriers as in the past. Imagine what iOS would look like if Verizon or worse AT&T had the chance to skin it, strip it down and never update it....

I for one would prefer to keep the carriers out of the hardware and software side of the business, let them focus on infastructure instead of giving me needless options to buy ring tones, use their crappy apps and restrict what I can and cannot load onto a phone that I paid for...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
A lot of the complaints about Android, specifically fragmentation, poor implmentation, lack of updates, bloat, etc are largely due to what the carreirs did to the OS. Stripping it, skinning it, not updating it, loading it with needless crap and slowing it down, etc.

In that sense I do not blame Google for wanting to take control of the OS and not put it with the carriers as in the past. Imagine what iOS would look like if Verizon or worse AT&T had the chance to skin it, strip it down and never update it....

I for one would prefer to keep the carriers out of the hardware and software side of the business, let them focus on infastructure instead of giving me needless options to buy ring tones, use their crappy apps and restrict what I can and cannot load onto a phone that I paid for...

That's the goal, I suppose. Google has an uphill battle to face.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
That's the goal, I suppose. Google has an uphill battle to face.

No doubt about it; I see the Nexus 4 as the first small step; hopefully its a successful one. I know I will be ordering on the 13th like many others and I can compare it directly to my iPhone day to day for a while.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
No doubt about it; I see the Nexus 4 as the first small step; hopefully its a successful one. I know I will be ordering on the 13th like many others and I can compare it directly to my iPhone day to day for a while.

Post pics and impressions, please. :)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Review from CNET UK: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/google-nexus-4-review-50009629/

Not a very thorough review, but it scored well in their benchmark test:

To see how it stacks up against the competition, I booted up my benchmark test and hit go. On the Geekbench test, it returned a frankly astonishing score of 1,975, putting it just below the powerhouse Galaxy Note 2 and far above the S3. It did similarly well on the CF-Bench test, where it managed to achieve 13,207, again well clear of the S3.

Clearly, the Nexus is a proper shirehorse and that's exactly what I found in my day-to-day testing. Swiping through the homescreens and loading menus was immediate and free of any lag, as was switching between running apps using the multi-tasking bar.

EDIT:
Can you imagine what the reviews would have been like if Google had shipped final software builds instead? Oh well.

A member at the XDA forums said it best:

"You're free to believe what you want, but a quad core Snapdragon Pro, running more slowly than its dual core sibling (which has also a lesser GPU), and slower than its IDENTICAL TWIN sold under another name (LG), doesn't sound right to me and makes me think that there were issues during the test (either of HW, SW or methodology nature)..."

You know, i have no idea what those tests are even for. What is a CF Bench test? If it loads my webpages fast and zips around everything else fast, i dont care what the scores are as long as it does that, takes good pictures and the battery is good.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
why is this piece of crap so cheap???

Because it isnt being sold by Apple or have a
blackapple.gif
on it

----------

62 now. I have to find a better place to put this. I stated a thread with the link but it got removed.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Never in their phones though.

Good point. Though Im hoping google will change that but if they want to force people to use cloud storage and streaming they will continue with the small storage space. The problem though if you are in a small town like me and drive through the mountains the poor reception makes streaming a pain :(

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
9to5Google Nexus 4 review: http://9to5google.com/2012/11/02/review-lg-nexus-4-a-world-class-smartphone-for-300/

Yet another vastly different take on battery...

"The battery and electronics savings from not having LTE comes in handy. The 2100mAh battery is a significant boost over the Galaxy Nexus. I haven’t even come close to using the full battery in a day – even with using the hotspot feature."

Performance is on par with every other review, though...

"moving between apps and scrolling are as fluid as you would find on an iPhone 5."

You can thank the 2GB RAM, Zerogap screen tech, and quad-core processor for that.

img_20121102_112040.jpeg

"Size-wise, it isn’t much bigger than an iPhone 5 and it uses that space to add a lot more screen"

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
It definitely sounds like the phone is going to have very good battery life. I can't wait to grab this thing on the 13th and test it out in t mobiles $30 plan.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
9to5Google Nexus 4 review: http://9to5google.com/2012/11/02/review-lg-nexus-4-a-world-class-smartphone-for-300/

Yet another vastly different take on battery...

"The battery and electronics savings from not having LTE comes in handy. The 2100mAh battery is a significant boost over the Galaxy Nexus. I haven’t even come close to using the full battery in a day – even with using the hotspot feature."

Performance is on par with every other review, though...

"moving between apps and scrolling are as fluid as you would find on an iPhone 5."

You can thank the 2GB RAM, Zerogap screen tech, and quad-core processor for that.

"Size-wise, it isn’t much bigger than an iPhone 5
and it uses that space to add a lot more screen"

Yeah it is. Its just slightly shorter and thinner than the GS3.

GS3 is 5.38" tall 2.78" wide 0.34" thick
N4 is 5.27" tall 2.70" wide 0.35" thick
iP5 is 4.87" tall 2.31" wide 0.30" thick

Since the buttons are a part of the screen, i wonder how much viewing space you lose compared to the GS3 even though the screen is 4.7

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.