Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I was considering it, but went to check one out today and it didn't impress me in the least bit. I was at least expecting it to be "zippier" but it wasn't. Definitely holding onto my 3 until there's a real upgrade.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I was considering it, but went to check one out today and it didn't impress me in the least bit. I was at least expecting it to be "zippier" but it wasn't. Definitely holding onto my 3 until there's a real upgrade.

I really wouldn't. I sold my Mini and I'm going to get a 3 to save cost. The 4 is too incremental.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I did, once I was able to sell my 32GB black ipad 3 for $450. The upgrade is worth it for me because of the frontside FaceTime HD video camera. I do web broadcasting and it is good to have that feature that allows me to broadcast in clearer fashion.

This along with the A6X chip were my main reasons. I needed a better workhorse and felt like I able to get one without too much compromise. Had I not sold my ipad 3 for that amount on CL, I would not have purchased the fourth generation.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I did, once I was able to sell my 32GB black ipad 3 for $450. The upgrade is worth it for me because of the frontside FaceTime HD video camera. I do web broadcasting and it is good to have that feature that allows me to broadcast in clearer fashion.

This along with the A6X chip were my main reasons. I needed a better workhorse and felt like I able to get one without too much compromise. Had I not sold my ipad 3 for that amount on CL, I would not have purchased the fourth generation.

Thinking of doing the same. I really don't need the 4th , but for an extra $50-75 after selling the 3rd gen is kinda hard to pass up. Choices......

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Thanks for letting us know. Make sure you come back and update this, we'll all be waiting.

IF you can sell your 3 and get the 4 for $75 you'd be dumb not to do that. Newer tech for $75 is a no brainer.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Thanks for letting us know. Make sure you come back and update this, we'll all be waiting.

IF you can sell your 3 and get the 4 for $75 you'd be dumb not to do that. Newer tech for $75 is a no brainer.

I wasn't surprised when I saw the author of this response. Another useless contribution to a thread. Well done.

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Sold my 64GB Cellular iPad 3 for 680 Euro in Germany. Deffinitely going to upgrade to 32 GB Cellular iPad 4 as soon as it is released.

Bought iPad 3 - 64 GB cause I had no other choices left in the store as 32 GB will be more than enough for me.

marcovortex

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sold my iPad 3 thinking I was going to grab an iPad mini but for ME the screen and performance of the mini was JUST poor enough to take a pass on this generation. Since I had already sold my iPad 3 I recently grabbed and ipad 4. The best way I can describe it is the change between an iPhone 4 and 4s. Those two devices and the ipad3/4 are basically the same but it's the internal changes that make the device feel that much better. The rare lag in app switching, the slight tearing on large graphic intense websites, and the frequent lagging and frame dropping in the most demanding games is gone. The iPad 3 was and is an amazing device in my opinion; the iPad 4 just makes the whole experience that much better.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

I wasn't surprised when I saw the author of this response. Another useless contribution to a thread. Well done.

Seems like pretty solid advice to me. I'd upgrade to the 4 from the 3 in a heartbeat for $75. The reality is, it probably can't be done that cheaply.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Seems like pretty solid advice to me. I'd upgrade to the 4 from the 3 in a heartbeat for $75. The reality is, it probably can't be done that cheaply.

Yes, I'd do it for $75, but the reality is that its closer to $300.

Even if the 3 was still the current model, you can't get close to new price with a resale.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I'm waiting on selling my 3rd gen until the battery or weight is fairly improved...or until ios no longer supports it :eek:

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I was lucky to still have an unlimited plan on my ipad 2 and sold the whole package for the cost of an iPad 4.....that means my wife gets my 3 to replace her 2...everyone wins....oh, and as for the unlimited plan...it was on my wife's ipad and she used maybe 500mb/mo if that...We have a Verizon share plan which has more than enough data for us...

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
No chance. Apple has pulled the rug out from under me this time by doing a six month cycle. The 32 GB 3 cost about 650 with taxes, so selling it at 450 and buying a 4 at 650 would "cost" me about 400 dollars. Ouch. I was planning on getting more than 450 out of it six months down the line in Spring 2013. No chance of that now. The monthly "rent" on this thing has skyrocketed to about $30. That is a dollar a day for every day I have owned it :(

The 4 is undeniably a significant improvement inside. It isn't enough to warrant the upgrade, though. I don't play games, and I can do my work on the iPad fine now. I am just a little bummed that I probably won't be upgrading to the 5. Apple's upgrade game is a little too costly, without as much benefit lately, and the Google Nexus 10 is much more tempting:)

clyde2801

macrumors 601
They're going to keep rolling out new models of iPads every year, or possibly less now. Some will be S upgrades like the 4, others will have drastic redesigns and new features. It's pretty obvious, unless you have scads of disposable income or enjoy signing your paychecks over to Apple, Inc., that you'll have to adopt one of the following strategies:

1. Use what you got until it no longer needs what you need it to do or breaks out of warranty;

2. Buy the newly discontinued model off of craigslist or the refurbished store for a tidy discount;

3. Buy the base wifi model and use better file management, cloud storage and possibly an LTE mifi if necessary (the more expensive the model, the bigger the resale loss);

4. Donate your 'old' model to a charity for a tax write off (?);

5. Any combination thereof (such as buying a refurbished 16gb iP3 for $378 and possibly selling it for $300 when the 5's come out, and then buying a refurbished iP4 for $378 again-actually, that doesn't sound too bad at all);

6. Or buy applecare plus and accidentally run your iPad over with a cement truck as soon as you find out your local apple store is out of refurbished units of your same model. (KIDDING!)

This cutting edge is bleeding the green out of my wallet. Count me as a victim of upgrade fatigue with this last release. At least until they introduce a new model that literally blows my socks off. Hopefully, that will happen by next April.:p

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I found that in a store with such good lighting and people around you it's actually quite difficult to assess the quality of a screen. For instance, I am very clear how does an iPad 2 screen look like and how an iPad 3/4 is better than it, but the iPad 2 actually looked better when I picked it up in the store (I mistook it as the new iPad 4, only after a while I found out the blurry text on the home screen). Also after some hands on besides the lightning connector I really couldn't find any difference between the 3 and the 4 - because there was no comparison at the same time.

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
If you dont mind me asking, where did you sell it? I'm in Germany too and looking to use Wirkaufens.de to sell our old iPads and MacBook Pro, is there a better option around? (Slightly distrusting of eBay)

I sold it on eBay. :) I don't know if I am lucky or not but I never had any problem with the devices I sold from eBay. And I sold a lot. :) I only accept PayPal payments, no money transfer or no cash on collection or anything else.. And don't accept any buyers from outside of EU. You can arrange them in the Seller account of eBay. That options gives more security to both seller and the buyer. If you have an eBay account just try your luck. ;)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
LoL... not sure who the winner is, you or MyiPhone7. Sorry if you don't like my response.
When I make a blog post and call it a thread here on MR, by all means respond the same.

Hmm, that's funny. I thought that button says "new thread", not "new blog post". I guess I'll have to clean my glasses.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Upgrade so I can have. Clearer FaceTime call and a chip that will run apps slightly better then my 3? Waste of cash, this model is 7 months old and can do anything the newer one can. I'm holding onto my cash until the next one at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.