Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I have been using my iPhone 5 for about a week now. So far no complaints. Things I like are larger screen, retina display, speed (opening and closing apps etc), weight.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For the people having battery life issues, you should have your phones inspected by Apple. The battery life on my iP5 is absolutely amazing, even when web surfing on LTE - something that destroys my Galaxy S3.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I don't really notice a difference. The only thing I noticed right away is that its slimmer and lighter and I forget that it's in my pockets. ( a few times I patted myself down thinking I lost my phone :p)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Even besides those things, how are you managing with the iPhone 4 speed? Theyre really bad

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
My battery drain has been faster but nothing that would effect my schedule. I waiting for the jailbreak to come out. SBSettings + LTE Toggle will only improve things further!

I kinda feel the same about the back button as well. Most of the time it's not a problem but say it's sometimes annoying when I am using the phone while lying down.

Hopefully Ive will change the position of the button. Droid phones are too big for me, but at least they did something to accommodate for the larger sizes and have a universal back button near the wrist.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
How long is your iphone lasting on a average day usage?

I been playing a few games on it, surfing the web, music, and it is 7:44 PM now and at 47%.

I only charged the phone last night.

Last edited:

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I've actually had better life on my 5 compared to my old 4. I do like the bigger screen as well. The older screen seems to small now by comparison.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
How long is your iphone lasting on a average day usage?

I been playing a few games on it, surfing the web, music, and it is 7:44 PM now and at 47%.

I only charged the phone last night.

that is a perfectly fine battery life...
do people expect to get smartphone battery life similar to those traditional dumb-phones or something? :rolleyes:

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Just the opposite here. 4 is laggy compared to 5. I'm getting great battery life (10 hours on current charge & yes ..tons of notifications & BT on). The screen is great & I am typing this one-handed while rocking my son to sleep.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Iphone5, battery life is good. LTE is very fast. Larger screen = more real estate to view on. More bells and whistles.Much lighter. Only negative would be the anodized aluminum which is subject to dings and scuffs

Mac pro 8

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Even though I must say my 3GS was an absolute dream, it can't come close to comparing to this beast of a phone (my IPhone 5). Now the problems Your having with Your phone like battery life and iOS 6 problems is something that can probably be resolved if You'd be a little more specific. Apple is constantly coming out with updates to resolve issues with the operating system. You might have a defective battery (who Knows). My battery isn't that great in my iphone 5 but for the most part it gets me through the day wit no problem (of course I carry my charger wit me in case of emergencies). The 4inch screen is a definite plus in my book, cause it fits in the hand perfectly and my adjustments when texting, scrolling, swiping, etc is a minimal adjustment at best for my thumbs. I did find it kind've weird that my thumbs were getting a tiny bit fatigued. I guess it'll take some time getting use too. In the mean time I'll be practicing on my thumb & hand stretches, "LMBO"!!!

Last edited:

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
man...i never never thought i would say this but after spending a few weeks with my iPhone 5, i can officially say i miss my iPhone 4 for two main reasons:

-say what you say about the size of the iPhone, 3.5 is the perfect size for using with one hand and i'm not against bigger displays, i'm just saying for the normal average use the 3.5'' size in so many ways.

-the battery life of the iPhone 5 is AWFUL! beyond awful....it's the worst battery life of anything i bought in the last decade! i miss the the standby battery life of the iPhone 4, now i have to charge my iPhone every time i come from outside.

and i'm not going all the rubbishness behind IOS 6 i assume the previous generation iPhones are effected too...

Please don't take this as another complain thread, i'm the biggest Apple fanboy i love my Macbook Air, my Mac mini,my iMac, my cinema display, my iPod,my iPhone 4 and my Apple TV.
My battery on my ip 5 is so good.. It last me 7 hrs of usage and 20 hrs of stand by

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It all boils down to personal preference. If people like the smaller 3.5" screen, they are more likely to return to previous models.

However the battery life thing shouldn't be that bad. Most iPhone 5 battery aren't as bad as the OP described. Bring it to the Apple store.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
The battery on my 5 is so much better than my 4S. After a day of medium use I still have 70% left. Most likely the OP issue is signal.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
If you have better than 2 bars LTE then the battery life is actually better than idling on 3G. Whenever I'm on 3-5 bars of LTE it's like my battery doesn't even go down at all for at least 30 minutes

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I'm getting better battery life than my 4 now after I traded in my 1st 5. And screen size is per individual... Maybe u have smaller hands. I have Asian small hands lol but still love the screen minus the times I have to adjust to reach certain menu items located in the front.

Edit: realized that when signal is low it seems to delete 10% per hr from my experience. Hopefully 6.1 addresses this issue.

blackhawk526

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
Believable

Haven't had my phone on LTE for 2 weeks due to the bad battery life and I get full bars of service.

Between the horrible wifi data speeds and battery life, I'm waiting on a potential software fix.

The hardware is perfect, now the software just needs bugs fixed!

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Personally think you're insane. I loved my iPhone 4 but the 5 is leaps and bounds better.

When I look at my wife's 4S screen I can't believe how antiquated and small it looks.

Never going back.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Personally think you're insane. I loved my iPhone 4 but the 5 is leaps and bounds better.

When I look at my wife's 4S screen I can't believe how antiquated and small it looks.

Never going back.

Same

Never thought my 4S was small until I got the 5...

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
After using my iPhone 5 for more than a month, I can say that I can never go back to a smaller screen. I was worried at first that the taller, but same width screen, wouldn't work, but I was wrong. It's perfect (for now) for me.

My battery life is really good, but then again, when I am at the office, I plug it in to charge, and in the car I plug it in to charge as well.

Same here. Battery life is great.
I could never go back to using an i4 from an iPhone 5.
I dont wanna go backwards.

I'm the same way... I have a charger here for that exact reason. This way I will never have to worry about it at all. I have only ever gotten below 20% once, and that was because I was out till 3 in the morning using turn-by-turn GPS frequently throughout the night.

I also agree that I feared the taller screen would be awful, but I am very happy with it... and I cannot stand my work phone now (4S).

To people who do not have it yet, it doesn't seem like much... but after you use it for a while, it is hard to go back.

I think the biggest reason I have to eat my own words is the extra row of icons, lol... I thought that would be the most pointless part of it all, and I really did not care about that. But I really do enjoy having more icons on my main page, which I did not see coming.

I do not like folders because it annoys me when I leave an app then have to "close" the folder, so I only put stuff that I barely use in folders. So the extra row actually turned into a benefit for me... which I did not expect at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.