Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
You should check the settings for the equalizer.. make sure it's off and sound check is off as well.. other then that, check your hearing as what other people suggested

Mikeycartmen

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I have a black iPhone 5 32gb & the volume using the same Bose headphones as on my 4S is definitely approx 20% quieter in the iPhone 5...... REALLY annoying as I use headphones quite a bit. Why have Apple decreased the output to headphones?!

I will try & compare to another 5 user tomorrow & update.....

Observation is the new phone now has red bars at the upper limit that weren't on the 4S & I read an article somewhere about EU law now insisting phones in Europe can only go to a max of 75% of full volume. Outside of Europe there is no such limit. Anyone else heard/ read about this?

XboxJezuz

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
My iPhone 5 is also way quiet...

Hey,

I just got the 5 via upgrade and mine is also really quiet when listening to music compared to the 4.

I still have the 4 and I've tested them side by side with the headphones from the 4 and the new ear buds, I've tested on YouTube and with my own music, this even applies to watching TV on either device.

Has anyone here gotten to the bottom of this? Orange (my network in the UK) are offering me a replacement as it's 3 days old, but I said I'd go to the Apple Store first to see if they can help.

Cheers.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Did you all make sure to disable the EU volume limit? Screenshot is in Dutch, but it's just the Settings > Music > Volume limit screen.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.PNG
    IMG_1210.PNG
    108.2 KB · Views: 83

XboxJezuz

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Yea I've checked that setting (and every other setting I can think of) ...maybe it's faulty... seems like a strange fault though.

gabriellegaige

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Sound check

Have you got the Sound check option on... I have just turned mine off and the volume has increased significantly :)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Mine seems to be louder, but I guess thats because I have the 32 GB model.

Huh, that means mine must be twice as good as yours, I have a 64GB. It's great the little things Apple throws in when you spend more money. But in all seriousness, I wonder if the OP is utilizing both speakers on the bottom of the phone..or do both only function in the higher capacity models?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Huh, that means mine must be twice as good as yours, I have a 64GB. It's great the little things Apple throws in when you spend more money. But in all seriousness, I wonder if the OP is utilizing both speakers on the bottom of the phone..or do both only function in the higher capacity models?

One speaker only, not two...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.35.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 3.35.09 PM.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,021

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Doesn't the iPhone 5 have 2 speakers? Therefore, making it louder.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw an earlier post that the iPhone 5 has 1 speaker only

ace.neerav

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
same problem...

Received a brand new box packed iPhone 5 as an upgrade replacement to my iphone 4... its black and 32 gb.

Restored from my iphone 4 backup...
sound check off
volume limit : full
equaliser: off
(same settings in iTunes on mac)

conclusion: volume too low.

restored the phone as new...
sound check off
volume limit : full
equaliser: off
(same settings in itunes on mac)

conclusion: volume too low.

I dont see any settings for Europe. My unit is made for India unit.

Dudikowski

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Use the included Apple EarPods

I've had problems with low volume but it turned out the problem was my old Apple earphones I was using. I think I just grabbed some earphones I had laying around and never bothered with the new EarPods.

When I use the EarPods I have to lower the volume or it feels to high.
When I use my old Apple earphones the volume is irritatingly low.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Mine seems to be louder, but I guess thats because I have the 32 GB model.

I have 16 GB iPhone 5 and it's louder than any of the other iPhones I've had

----------

I got it...srcasm is a lost art my friend

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Black 16gb iPhone 5.

Louder in every way.

Headphones=louder

Loud speaker=louder

Earpiece=louder

Not just louder but of a higher quality too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.