Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Like even if I have the app turned off will I still be using push ? And even if I'm not getting notifications from say Instagram , will it still be using push? Like if I have it in the notifications turned on? Please help

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Push notification is a system where an app sends you alerts from the server for certain events like messages, updates, etc. Apple has designed it so that the app doesn't need to be open all the time so you get your notifications but they push to the device when they arrive.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Push notification is a system where an app sends you alerts from the server for certain events like messages, updates, etc. Apple has designed it so that the app doesn't need to be open all the time so you get your notifications but they push to the device when they arrive.

Even tho I don't recive a message from "fb messenger app" does it still use push data?

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Like even if I have the app turned off will I still be using push ? And even if I'm not getting notifications from say Instagram , will it still be using push? Like if I have it in the notifications turned on? Please help

In order for an OS to get notifications from many apps, it has to "listen" for notifications on different ports (each app would have its own port). That kills battery life. Apple push notifications works like this: iOS listens to only one port, the one that is connected to Apple's servers. A third party app (fb, twitter, Instagram) sends its notification to Apple's server, which in turn sends the notification out to your device. Thus, many apps can push, but only one port needs to be open. This allows for much better battery life.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
In order for an OS to get notifications from many apps, it has to "listen" for notifications on different ports (each app would have its own port). That kills battery life. Apple push notifications works like this: iOS listens to only one port, the one that is connected to Apple's servers. A third party app (fb, twitter, Instagram) sends its notification to Apple's server, which in turn sends the notification out to your device. Thus, many apps can push, but only one port needs to be open. This allows for much better battery life.

So would you say that having Instagram and twitter on notifications would cause alot of battery drain?

airynmanj

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Yes, receiving a fB messages will be pushed to your phone
a112.jpg

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
I always wondered how long are the push notifications stored on the server? What if I switched my phone off for a month, will I get all the backdated notifications when I turn my phone on?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So would you say that having Instagram and twitter on notifications would cause alot of battery drain?
Depends on how many notifications you're getting and what you mean by "a lot". There are probably bigger fish to fry on the battery drain front if that's your primary concern.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No, because what is pushed to the phone is the notification, which is typically small and quickly delivered. Email checks are likely to pull in a lot more data/drain more battery than notifications.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
No, because what is pushed to the phone is the notification, which is typically small and quickly delivered. Email checks are likely to pull in a lot more data/drain more battery than notifications.

Well depending on how many you get the battery WILL drain. I got maybe 10 instagram notifications and 2 text messages when I went to bed and in the morning it was at around 94%, from a full charge.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, leaving push notification on does drain the battery because even if you don't have any notification your phone still has to send out the request to see if there is any. I know some phones have the option of setting it to check constantly, every hr, every few hrs, etc. Checking it constantly drains more battery than every few hrs. I'm not sure what the options are for the iPhone as I'm still waiting to receive my FIRST one..lol. 2 more days and I'll have it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well depending on how many you get the battery WILL drain. I got maybe 10 instagram notifications and 2 text messages when I went to bed and in the morning it was at around 94%, from a full charge.
Losing only 6% in ~8 hours is pretty darned good. I'm sure they use battery, but having WiFi on uses battery, and having cellular on uses battery, so of that 6%, it's unlikely much was due to notifications themselves.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Losing only 6% in ~8 hours is pretty darned good. I'm sure they use battery, but having WiFi on uses battery, and having cellular on uses battery, so of that 6%, it's unlikely much was due to notifications themselves.
I leave wifi on my phone overnight and I wake up with 100% haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.