Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Judging from this article on Joystiq, this may be exactly what we are getting. If that is the case, I am so sold!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/11/need-for-speed-most-wanted-is-a-secret-return-to-paradise/

One of my biggest disappointment's of this year's E3 was that Criterion is creating another NFS game, instead of making a sequel to my beloved Burnout Paradise. If this article is accurate, then I am baffled by the decision to call it NFS, but ultimately I don't care. If it plays like Paradise, I will play the hell out of it!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I used to love the burnout series but then started to detest it. I didn't get any enjoyment from the open world structure of the past game or the randomness of stopping at traffic lights to begin a race, and if it failed have to trail halfway across the city to restart it... Totally annoyed the crap out of me (I know the restart event was patched in later - but I'd already got rid of it before then).

I'd prefer they went back to 'courses' but that's not going to happen, so it seems I'll never get a traditional burnout ever again, though the last Ridge Racer played a good homage to the old burnouts, but still missed the mark.

As for the need for speed series... Haven't found one yet that I have actually enjoyed at all. :(

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
What I loved about the open world structure was the exploring/collecting part. I spent countless hours tracking down all the road blocks, billboards and stunt jumps! Beautiful world to explore, and a race event at every street corner waiting for me to jump in whenever I feel like it.

I can see how it wasn't for everyone, I was a little off-put and overwhelmed at first myself. But once I really got into it, it ruined me for every other racing game that came out since. The only other racing game that ever brought me a comparable level of fun and long-lasting entertainment was "Burnout 3: Takedown". Its stunt mode was actually vastly superior to Paradise, I hope they fix this in the next game.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Yeah I think overwhelmed would best describe it for me. I just maybe didn't give it enough time to grow on me, but for me the joy of a driving game is in the pick up and play - I guess I'm more of a Mario Kart kind of structure person when it comes to my driving games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I am massively hyped for this.
Was never really interested in the series until Burnout Paradise was on sale on Steam. It was really addictive, threw around 40 hours into it.

Funnily enough I was watching the E3 show where they announced it, but I had missed the intro. Footage from NFS:MW played and the whole time I thought it was Burnout Paradise 2. Even if they never mentioned Paradise again... I think we all knew what it was supposed to be ;). Kinda like Modnation Racers and LBP Karting.

But yeah, I loved Paradise for the open world structure, it was like a Zelda or Metroid game in that way. The exploration was really well done. Even now I just go back to it in 30 min bursts to find all the crash gate things.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Okay, after watching the trailer and gameplay videos, I am sold! This is the Burnout Paradise sequel I've been waiting for - looks awesome!! :)

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Not looking forward to Criterion quite possibly tarnishing the epic status the original Most Wanted brought to the table. The original Need for Speed: Most Wanted (available on Xbox 360, PS2, GameCube, and Xbox 1, and PC) was AMAZING - best chases, amazing gameplay, great actors, superb music.

And most importantly - UPGRADABLE CARS. If that's lacking in Criterions version then it'll quite frankly just be an epic fail in comparison to the original in my eyes.

Oh well we'll see

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
First reviews are popping up on metacritic....looking good, so far!

I'll be picking this up rather sooner than later!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Never played a Nfs or burnout so I decided to pick up most wanted for the vita and I'm digging it. I've read reviews and they say the vita version is the same as the console version except for some graphical performance.

Good stuff.

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Never played a Nfs or burnout so I decided to pick up most wanted for the vita and I'm digging it. I've read reviews and they say the vita version is the same as the console version except for some graphical performance.

Good stuff.

Bless

I think it was Pocket Gamer who said there seems to be less traffic on the road on the Vita one. But if that's the only thing different then I'll pick up the Vita one as soon as it's available in Europe.

Good reviews. Spiritual sequel to Burnout Paradise. Defo buy :)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
My girlfriend bought me the PS3 version today.

I am having so much freaking fun!! Hunting down the billboards and security gates, just like in Burnout Paradise, I love it!

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I've been playing the hell out of it. I love that it is every part of Burnout Paradise I loved; the cars, the billboard and security gate busting, and awesome soundtrack. My only complaint, no DJ Atomika.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
No super jumps! And no Stunts or Road Rage events. Only things I am missing, really, but still an outstanding game.

And the soundtrack isn't nearly as good, but the custom soundtrack feature works great!

Loving this game, though I am not very good at it. I can barely finish first in the "easy" races! :D

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Does it have the same "build up boost" system that Burnout Paradise has?

Yep! But you need to earn the "boost" feature for every car by finishing 1st in its respective "easy" race first.

Takedowns work exactly the same, too, and also fill up your boost meter.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I feel like the billboards are easier to find this time around.

In Paradise, there were some boards that really made you go"how in the world do I get there??" Then, drive up some building ramp three blocks away, jump across a few rooftops etc, and finally there it was.

In Most Wanted, so far it's mostly "find the ramp that is right next to the bill board". I'd like just a little more challenge! :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I need help... :( all the cars feel like heavy skateboards. Finding it really hard to not drive like bumper cars, never had this trouble with burnout games. :eek:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I need help... :( all the cars feel like heavy skateboards. Finding it really hard to not drive like bumper cars, never had this trouble with burnout games. :eek:

They did something stupid with the steering, its too jumpy, and how you described it is pretty much accurate. I hate the steering in the game..

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Strange. That's how I felt about Hot Pursuit, but I didn't notice it in this one.

Maybe you had acclimatised to it? At the moment I'm struggling very badly with the over sensitive controls to the point where 'tilt motion control' works better than the d-pad ... When that happens you know there's something wrong.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I am hoping Feral Interactive may make a Mac native port of the original Burnout Paradise. I love the Burnout series but I have never played Paradise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.