Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayakukla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
brought in my machine for some dead pixels on the screen and also complained about the keyboard heating up. Initial cooling tests at the store passed so I assumed they would just do the screen.

Got the computer back today after a two week wait. They replaced screen, logic board with ram, airport card, left fan and right fan. I am typing on it and it is actually cold, compared to the keys getting so hot your fingers hurt to type. I ran all sorts of temperature tests with various apps before I brought it in, it was all normal. As I said, even apple's in store tests were normal. I guess the testing at the depot center found the problem.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    384.2 KB · Views: 660

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Tbh, it looks like they didn't bother trying to find the problem (it wouldn't be *all* of those parts), and just replaced everything that could be causing it :p

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I don't really understand this part:

If retina display is a display with a pixel density that makes individual pixels indistinguishable, then how does one find a dead pixel?

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012

If retina display is a display with a pixel density that makes individual pixels indistinguishable, then how does one find a dead pixel?

It must be a cluster of pixels, not just a single one.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
It must be a cluster of pixels, not just a single one.

Even on retina, if you have a solid color over the screen and a single pixel is a different highly contrasting color, it is distinguishable. I have two dead pixels on mine but I haven't bothered with a repair as the rest of the machine is perfect.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI

It doesn't make the individual pixels indistinguishable, it reduces their size so that visibility is lower. If you have one pixel that displays a completely different color from the surrounding pixels (or nothing at all), it becomes pretty damn apparent.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
2k in repairs? they should have just given you a new laptop instead of spending time repairing a defective one.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

A) It's indistinguishable from a certain distance - there's no reason one can't sit closer to the screen than the average person.

B) The human eye can see much finer density for high-contrast images. A single hot pixel on a bright screen (and vice versa) would be detected even from a normal distance

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
2k in repairs? they should have just given you a new laptop instead of spending time repairing a defective one.

Most of the parts they removed will be fixed and reused. They'll go to a different facility where they can troubleshoot and replace the individual components that have failed. Then, the repaired parts will be used as warranty replacements in another computer.

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom

I had some stuck white pixels on my rMBP. I had 2 clusters of 4 and 5 single stuck pixels. The clusters were very easy to see on any background at normal viewing distance but the single pixels could only be seen on a black background and I had to move in close to the screen to see them. They couldn't be seen at normal viewing distance, at least with my eyes.

It's with apple now getting the screen replaced. Hopefully it comes back without additional problems...:D

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Awesome, thanks to everyone for clearing the "dead pixel on retina display" up for me. Sorry for highjacking your thread.. back to you!

mayakukla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
They told me retinas had no dead pixel policy while other computers especially iMacs needed 5
Pixels

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.