Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
For people who miss itunes syncing - I think doubletwist is pretty good. Looks like a solid player too and if you buy the AirSync portion of it you can supposedly AirPlay to the ATV.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
For those mentioning notifications on the lock screen: you can just pull down the notification shade even while the phone is on the lock screen.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
For those mentioning notifications on the lock screen: you can just pull down the notification shade even while the phone is on the lock screen.
True. This works if you have the slide to unlock enabled.

Doesn't work if you have security enabled.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Are you saying that there is a way on an Android to use Airplay to display my photos, videos, or maybe even my screen to an AppleTV?

Just confirmed with my friend that his Android device works with his Apple TV, just needs a free app but has all the functionality apparently.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
It seems like Doubletwist works to do this. Can you ask your friend what he uses?

Thanks.

Just confirmed with my friend that his Android device works with his Apple TV, just needs a free app but has all the functionality apparently.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Plants vs zombies (not compatible with my GS3 for some stupid reason).

AppleCare and the customer service.

Better Bluetooth hands free clarity in my vehicle.

Things I don't miss: dinky screen size (4.8" is a bit too large but I would rather larger than smaller.)

Crappy keyboard in iPhone . Swiftkey is amazing. I only have to type in 3 letters and I can fill in the word.

Customizing.

I want a hybrid iPhone/android phone!

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'm thinking of getting a Note2 and am a Mac and iPhone user. I'm trying to think about the things that I might regret, I don't synch music to my phone, so iTunes is not an issue. The only thing I can think of will be airplay between my 4S and my ATV.

Anyone willing to share anythings they miss or regret about switching to anything other then their iPhones?

Thanks.

Im not missing anything after moving over to Android, its actually quite the opposite, there is so much more you can do on Android.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Im not missing anything after moving over to Android, its actually quite the opposite, there is so much more you can do on Android.

I agree. There is so much misinformation about Android around this forum from users who I bet have never even used it. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of it when I first tried it a few years ago but boy has it ever matured. I am glad I was feeling bored and decided to give it another shot because I have been pleasantly surprised.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I miss the build quality and the occasional ease of use (small form factor when my gs3 belt clip decides to harass a love handle when driving.)....Other than that, my gs3 with jellybean is a monster of a phone.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The only thing I miss is the ecosystem, and by that I really mean iTunes and a few iOS only apps like Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Billings (Marketcircle) and Things (Cultured Code)

Other than that . . . . . there's nothing. And this is coming from an EVO owner. I don't miss the dated home screen, the lack of customization, the endless number of taps and swipes needed to change simple things, etc., etc.

If Apple ever got off it's rump and made an iPhone Pro with 4.8" screen and an up-to-date iOS that allows me to delete the standard apps and change settings from within an app then I may jump back and maybe even move up to an on-contract/subsidized iOS device.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I use the Executive Assistant app that consolidates my calendar, texts,email, news feeds,Facebook and Twitter feeds on the lock screen. .IMO, this is better than notifications.

For swipe activated gestures, the Nova launcher might be something to look at.

Thanks for the tip. Will look into those.

----------

GMD is basically like Activator. Less actions can be triggered but it's the best there is AFAIK. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gmd+gesture+control&c=apps

Thanks as well.

I would've mentioned iMessage but I called AT&T and got them to add the unlimited messaging and mobile to any mobile for an additional $5 (was paying $5 for 200 text before).

So for $10, I got unlimited texting and unlimited mobile calling to AND from any mobile carrier. Normal price is $20 so not to bad. I've got whatsapp as well but not everyone does so messages like "k", "no", "yeah", "lol" add up quickly.. :D

Last edited:

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
I recently switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3 after having used iphone's exclusively since 2007. To be honest I don't miss anything as such, they are just very different. The iPhone still wins with its ability to make some otherwise fairly complex things very straightforward and automatic, such as syncing, backups etc. But with android my world has suddenly been opened up, I can now use my phone for almost anything I can think of and many things I can't think of. The iPhone is limited by what Apple allow, even the apps while great are still limited by Apple's vision of what should and should not be done with our phones. On android there is no limits. This is a blessing in that we can do anything we like with our devices, it lends us enormous power. But of course with that power there comes the responsibility of ensuring that we don't mess things up or worse than an app messes things up. On iPhone you don't get that power but you also dont have that responsibility.

Given the advantages of having that extra power, it makes android the winner for me, despite its drawbacks. I mean hell it was worth it just to have timed profiles back which is something I've missed since my old Nokia smartphone days back in the early 00's.

Apple need to do a lot more if they want to stay ahead of the game. The iPad is still a great device and I'd still buy one if I needed a tablet device, no doubt. But the iPhone is way too limited now, I had high hopes for the 5 but its just more of the same. The hardware is lovely as always but its held back by a rapidly aging UI with limited functionality. And I'm sorry but nice hardware alone isn't enough for me anymore.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I miss the build quality and the occasional ease of use (small form factor when my gs3 belt clip decides to harass a love handle when driving.)....Other than that, my gs3 with jellybean is a monster of a phone.

Yes the build quality on the GS3 is subpar but on Motorola it's solid.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Only thing I think I will miss is cloud sharing and photo syncing. I'm planning on ditching my wife and my iphones for Win8 phones in the near future, depending on how they review. I have been using Skydrive though and I can get most of the functionality of iCloud and photostream so far, but haven't really delved into them too much.

It's amazing how many apps and things in Apples ecosystem I thought I needed, but was able to find alternatives, realize I didn't need them, or found better desktop version of (on my tablet).

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Only thing I think I will miss is cloud sharing and photo syncing. I'm planning on ditching my wife and my iphones for Win8 phones in the near future, depending on how they review. I have been using Skydrive though and I can get most of the functionality of iCloud and photostream so far, but haven't really delved into them too much.

It's amazing how many apps and things in Apples ecosystem I thought I needed, but was able to find alternatives, realize I didn't need them, or found better desktop version of (on my tablet).

What did your wife do to warrant a replacement by a WP8 phone?? :eek:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What did your wife do to warrant a replacement by a WP8 phone?? :eek:

She's been asking for a while actually, but I held out since WP7 wasn't so great. We just sold my ipad and replaced it with a winPro tablet and she is completely hooked, so we will end up keeping her "simple" ipad for the baby!

While I'm completely sold on the tablet side I'm not sure on the phone side, I still need to play with WP8, but at least Microsoft isn't afraid to innovate and take chances and that's what I liked about Apple 3 years ago. But Android doesn't appeal much to me, and iOS definitely lost its bite years ago so I'm not sure which way I'm headed. That galaxy note 2 sure does look savory though.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
She's been asking for a while actually, but I held out since WP7 wasn't so great. We just sold my ipad and replaced it with a winPro tablet and she is completely hooked, so we will end up keeping her "simple" ipad for the baby!

While I'm completely sold on the tablet side I'm not sure on the phone side, I still need to play with WP8, but at least Microsoft isn't afraid to innovate and take chances and that's what I liked about Apple 3 years ago. But Android doesn't appeal much to me, and iOS definitely lost its bite years ago so I'm not sure which way I'm headed. That galaxy note 2 sure does look savory though.

Hehee ... JOKE

Your Head

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
For people who miss itunes syncing - I think doubletwist is pretty good. Looks like a solid player too and if you buy the AirSync portion of it you can supposedly AirPlay to the ATV.

Couldn't get it to work properly.

Everytime I try playing a video on my android tablet and airplay it to my appleTV, my appleTV say video format not supported.

----------

The note 2 is probably the only android phone/tablet that can get me to switch away from my iPhone. It's still on the expensive side for an android phone.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Only miss a couple of things;

1. exchange email on the iPhone is much better and more reliable than I've found it to be on Android.
2. IMessage
3. The ability to easily compress recorded video. I had an ios app that did this in seconds yet can't find anything equivalent on Android. Think it's also baked into ios

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Things I miss when I use my Android phone:

1. Music app is way better on iPhone (I know its debatable, but personally I think iOS has a great player)
2. Full headphone controls
3. iMessage, mostly because it links to my iPad and computer
4. Facetime, easier for my older relatives to use than Skype
5. Rowmote. Honestly an amazing app to control a Mac through your phone.
6. iTunes remote. Alternatives in Android Play Store, but they're a song and a dance to get working, and they don't work well at best.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Things I miss when I use my Android phone:

1. Music app is way better on iPhone (I know its debatable, but personally I think iOS has a great player)
2. Full headphone controls
3. iMessage, mostly because it links to my iPad and computer
4. Facetime, easier for my older relatives to use than Skype
5. Rowmote. Honestly an amazing app to control a Mac through your phone.
6. iTunes remote. Alternatives in Android Play Store, but they're a song and a dance to get working, and they don't work well at best.

Most of this falls under ecosystem. Owning and enjoying the integration between all those Apple products it only makes sense to use an iPhone.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I am currently waiting for the Nexus 4 to hit the UK which is when I am ditching the 4S - The problem I have right now is the fact that I have been in the whole iPhone / iOS ecosystem since the very first one (started a lot earlier with iPods etc.) - I will be able to get around the DRM'd music (decrypt or simply burn to CD > rip again), but the amount of money I spend on apps is scary...

Really musn't think about it, otherwise I will be changing my mind and keep whining about things I hate with iOS 6 on my 4S :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.