Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I've always been afraid of excessive phone use because of the dangers (real or not) they talk about with cellular phones near your head....

Supposing there is such a thing as those cellular waves dangers, if I got an iPad Mini (which I realize only had GPS and data), I'm thinking to get the 4G LTE to use a lot with both internet and GPS (I walk a LOT, especially around the city) and would be having the iPad mini on all the time (for the GPS signal for my pedometer) while it's in my inside vest pocket.

You think there is anything to worry about in the same way of the cellular signals, having the 4G iPad mini on and close to me all day every day....? Or is cellular completely different than data & GPS?

Maybe it's a silly question, but I couldn't get anything that addressed this directly with Google, and I'm sure someone on here might know something, especially since this is so device-specific.

Thanks in advance! :)

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Not a silly question, I wonder the same thing about my iPhone 5 that I'm thinking about keeping in my pocket at all times.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Not a silly question, I wonder the same thing about my iPhone 5 that I'm thinking about keeping in my pocket at all times.

Yes, keeping it on at all times with data running- not cell call on, but data/4G/GPS for voice note taking, pedometer, etc....

Anyone know or read about this before...?

haoledoc

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
There's simply no convincing evidence that any of these waves are harmful. There are radio waves passing through your body at all times, regardless of what device is in your pocket. I wouldn't worry about it.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
There's simply no convincing evidence that any of these waves are harmful. There are radio waves passing through your body at all times, regardless of what device is in your pocket. I wouldn't worry about it.

But having the device on, and pressed against my chest/heart all day, every day? With GPS, LTE, 3G, that stuff...? I know its different being in the same room, but against your organs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.