Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
Fact is people who are complaining about the A5 being in the mini are ignorant. The Tegra3 in the N7 is also an old chip and graphics performance is worst than the A5. That is why the N7 has lag issues since its processor is slower and it has to render a higher resolution.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review/5

1) It's not a fact. It is your opinion.
2) It's the OS that causes the lag, not the GPU.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Fact is people who are complaining about the A5 being in the mini are ignorant. The Tegra3 in the N7 is also an old chip and graphics performance is worst than the A5. That is why the N7 has lag issues since its processor is slower and it has to render a higher resolution.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review/5

The problem with them using an A5 and not something beefier is that something beefier will last substantially longer. Granted, the A5 is chugging along nicely in the iPhone 4S and the 5th Gen iPod touch, but those carry much less screen real-estate and thusly won't tax the A5 as much as the iPad mini and iPad 2 will. Given that the A4-enabled iPads lasted only two and a half years before being left out of iOS updates, the iPad mini only getting an A5 is legitimately disappointing.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
Yea, I do not see any hiccups or anything wrong with the processor or RAM in the Mini.

But I can understand the frustration, for the price/premium over the other tablets of its capacity, we should be expecting the newest processor, RAM, and display...

But in terms of real-life use, it works just fine.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I have had some games crash and web browsing feels rather slow to me but I don't know whether that's my wifi speed.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
I have had some games crash and web browsing feels rather slow to me but I don't know whether that's my wifi speed.

Have you double clicked on the home button and closed some of the apps running in the background to free up some of the RAM?

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Yea, I do not see any hiccups or anything wrong with the processor or RAM in the Mini.

But I can understand the frustration, for the price/premium over the other tablets of its capacity, we should be expecting the newest processor, RAM, and display...

But in terms of real-life use, it works just fine.

Yes and has great battery life. It's delicate balance and I think they nailed it.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Android OS has always been laggy. Until maybe recently with jelly bean.

Jelly bean is suppose to be buttery.

I find android OS laggy experience unsatisfying.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
The iPad mini could be run by a gerbil on a treadmill....does it really matter? As long as everything is smooth and apps run great, why do the internals matter?

The A5 was a problem for retina resolutions. This is 1024x768...

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
The Mini runs significantly better than the iPad 3...which is what I'm coming from. So yeah...could care less what processor is in it as long as it's smooth and doesn't lag occasionally like the 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.