Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
So you've owned a bunch of Apple phones, Apple tablets, and one competitor product and that qualifies you to make a "best product there is, period." statement?
"Most Exciting product out there", maybe. "Best Product"? Probably not. I think the problem is his wording because he talks as if he made a definitive discovery when all he's doing is talking out of emotion.

I got two iPad Mini's in because this is the product Ive been begging for and for the most part it delivers. BUT, theres enough recognizable issues that it's tough to say this is anything but a placeholder and its defenders will turn on it the exact same way they turned on the iPad3 once its successor is released.

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Hyperbole and disproportional excitement. It's an Ipod for goodness sake. It's bigger than the Touch, smaller than the Ipad, with old componentry. That's not to say it is a "bad" product, but the best? LOL. It's more of the same for a company that lacks innovation. Next year I bet we get slightly thinner, lighter, and faster iPods running a tired old operating system that still depends on a computer to work.

Will it have GPS? Will the Maps work? No. I just used my Nexus 7 as navigation on a trip. No cell plan (of course) and no wireless. It was a real trooper. The more expensive Apple iPhone 4S with its expensive data plan and pathetic battery life just led me astray. Heck, it can't even navigate my neighborhood now. I'm tired of being an isheep that gets fleeced by this company.

jumpmandds

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Ohio
Lol please be quiet you like your mini good for u use it and enjoy it lol people go nuts when a new apple product is launched it's a smaller iPad nothing special nothing to rave about u like small things good for u want a cookie?

cperry2

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Lol please be quiet you like your mini good for u use it and enjoy it lol people go nuts when a new apple product is launched it's a smaller iPad nothing special nothing to rave about u like small things good for u want a cookie?

No I just want some commas in the sentences lol it really increases ur intelligibility and cogently separates ur idea lol its a good idea im just saying have an opinion but u need to put some dots and tails in there its good to put in the small details u want a cookie?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

And the point of your post is?? Are you telling someone (somewhat politely, but I suspect it's not really intended that way) to shut up about their excitement regarding a new Apple product on an Apple fan forum? Really?

Do *you* want a cookie for expressing your (rather offensive and completely misplaced) opinion?

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
I have been playing with it since yesterday at 3pm and I swear I can't put It down. I have owned every iPhone out I have the 5 right now and owned iPad 1,2 and 3rd gen with retina and have owned a 7" kindle fire and I swear this beats them all I mean even with the non retina display I find playing games,browsing the web and watching youtube videos very easy on the eyes I don't know why people are complaining apple has a big hit with this mini can't wait for mini 2.

The bold portion is all that needs to be read in this entire thread.

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
No retina, goofy resolution = junk. My employer offered one for free, not even going to jump on it...not worth the paperwork.

It is starting to show how much Jobs really carried Apple. So many disappointing moves lately :(

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
No retina, goofy resolution = junk. My employer offered one for free, not even going to jump on it...not worth the paperwork.

It is starting to show how much Jobs really carried Apple. So many disappointing moves lately :(

Exaggeration, hyperbole and melodrama - all perfect troll attributes.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Exaggeration, hyperbole and melodrama - all perfect troll attributes.

Spewing epithets without providing any facts is extreme trolling. You could argue that iPad Mini resolution is good but you did not. Because you can't. When much cheaper tablets have better screens, more RAM, faster CPUs, GPS etc. it's hard to argue with facts that iPad Mini is not an inferior tablet, is not it?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Spewing epithets without providing any facts is extreme trolling. You could argue that iPad Mini resolution is good but you did not. Because you can't. When much cheaper tablets have better screens, more RAM, faster CPUs, GPS etc. it's hard to argue with facts that iPad Mini is not an inferior tablet, is not it?

Epithets? Wow, you really don't understand what I said or implied, and you're completely offensive in your ignorance. I'm not even sure you understand the term, "epithet."

Let me help you by explaining what I meant in my post which you should have inferred (though you could have inoffensively asked me to clarify instead of embarking on your "mini"<wry grin> tirade):

"goofy resolution" exaggeration

"=junk" hyperbole

"It is starting to show how much Jobs really carried Apple. So many disappointing moves lately" this I would classify as melodrama, when this name is brought up it makes my ears ring with violin music, which is melodrama.

I'm a long time fan of Apple and Steve Jobs' products, but ffs, he's *not* the head of this company and to bring his name up as an indictment against the current status of the company or its products is nothing more than attempting to bring a dead man back to life, animate him with qualities that *[speaker]* thinks he should/did/must have and provide him with attitudes [speaker] thinks he should have.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Epithets? Wow, you really don't understand what I said or implied, and you're completely offensive in your ignorance. I'm not even sure you understand the term, "epithet."

Let me help you by explaining what I meant in my post which you should have inferred (though you could have inoffensively asked me to clarify instead of embarking on your "mini"<wry grin> tirade):

"=junk" hyperbole

"It is starting to show how much Jobs really carried Apple. So many disappointing moves lately" this I would classify as melodrama, when this name is brought up it makes my ears ring with violin music, which is melodrama.

I'm a long time fan of Apple and Steve Jobs' products, but ffs, he's *not* the head of this company and to bring his name up as an indictment against the current status of the company or its products is nothing more than attempting to bring a dead man back to life, animate him with qualities that *[speaker]* thinks he should/did/must have and provide him with attitudes [speaker] thinks he should have.
Steve was responsible for the god awful skeuomorphic designs on apple software. He was also the reason Apple was too pig headed to get into the 7" tablet game sooner than it did. The man was only as good as the people working under him. He may have been a better sales person than tim but i like the contrast of the more reasonable tim cook vs the jesus like stubborn even when hes dead wrong steve jobs. I actually think apple needs a tim cook at this point in time. Steve created so many enemies when it wasnt necessary imo.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

"=junk" hyperbole

I am still waiting for you to start discussing the technical merits of the device. Let's start with screen resolution. How does iPad Mini resolution compare with 7" Android devices?

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I am still waiting for you to start discussing the technical merits of the device. Let's start with screen resolution. How does iPad Mini resolution compare with 7" Android devices?

I can answer that...obviously they just chose to beat them to market, crap screen issue solved until next product launch.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand the appeal of the mini.
If you want a smaller screen device, why not use the iPhone? The 10" screen is perfect for viewing the full web, the 7 inch form factor feels like a compromise, like when you need to browse the web/read books/go on Facebook on the go.. But isn't that what the iPhone is for?
The 10" is small and convenient enough to carry around for travel and have lying around the house and doesn't compromise on content for me - like it's significantly better than the iPhone in that if its lying on my table with my iPhone, is choose the iPad. It feels like the full web.
I tried the mini, it doesn't give that feeling, it still feels like I'm getting skimped out, like using an iPhone

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
If you want a smaller screen device, why not use the iPhone? The 10" screen is perfect for viewing the full web, the 7 inch form factor feels like a compromise, like when you need to browse the web/read books/go on Facebook on the go.. But isn't that what the iPhone is for?
The 10" is small and convenient enough to carry around for travel and doesn't compromise on content for me

I wont speak to the mini specifically, but to 7 inch tablets. They ARE a compromise. They fit in the space where your 4 inch phone screen is too small to use for much more than games and text messages and the 9-10 inch tablets are a PITA to lug around and or hold while reading.

So, for something on the go as an e-reader, email and internet device they are great. Light weight, nice form factor. Then they can also be used for light productivity and are far better at media consumption than a 4 inch phone with a very small weight penalty.

The larger tablets are great for productivity and great media devices, but overkill for casual email, texting and internet browsing and are big and heavy to lug around or hold.

So for some, like me, I wanted a larger screen than my iphone that I could see and work with easier, without having to hold a large heavy ipad for long periods of time. I can carry it in my bag and not even know it is there.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I wont speak to the mini specifically, but to 7 inch tablets. They ARE a compromise. They fit in the space where your 4 inch phone screen is too small to use for much more than games and text messages and the 9-10 inch tablets are a PITA to lug around and or hold while reading.

So, for something on the go as an e-reader, email and internet device they are great. Light weight, nice form factor. Then they can also be used for light productivity and are far better at media consumption than a 4 inch phone with a very small weight penalty.

The larger tablets are great for productivity and great media devices, but overkill for casual email, texting and internet browsing and are big and heavy to lug around or hold.

So for some, like me, I wanted a larger screen than my iphone that I could see and work with easier, without having to hold a large heavy ipad for long periods of time. I can carry it in my bag and not even know it is there.
But is the experience on the mini significantly better that you're willing to do through your bag to get it when you want to look something up instead of using the iPhone that's already in your hand? For me the big ipad definitely is significantly better. It definitely fills the hole for me for when I'm sitting in my lounge and suddenly want to look at something on the web, but can't be bothered to get to my computer up stairs, turn it on, only to browse, and so I settle for a skimped out browser of the iPhone. Just an example. Ymmv

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
But is the experience on the mini significantly better that you're willing to do through your bag to get it when you want to look something up instead of using the iPhone that's already in your hand? For me the big ipad definitely is significantly better. It definitely fills the hole for me for when I'm sitting in my lounge and suddenly want to look at something on the web, but can't be bothered to get to my computer up stairs, turn it on, only to browse, and so I settle for a skimped out browser of the iPhone. Just an example. Ymmv

For me it is a compromise. I always have my iphone with me, but when I am commuting, or sitting on a plane or even on my couch I want a larger screen than my iphone but I find the iPad just too big to deal with after a while. So perhaps to say it better, the iPhone is great for short looks or quick checks, the 7 inch is great for carrying around, so when in a new area, at a coffee shop, on the train or plane where the weight and size is a consideration but still I will be using it for longer periods of time, so a larger screen is desired.

But everyone has different wants and needs. A 7 inch tablet may not fit your needs.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009

Could you elaborate on which tablets have better screen, faster CPU? You haven't provided any details yet you seem to argue that mini is an inferior product - regarding which tablets?

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
The 10" is small and convenient enough to carry around for travel and have lying around the house and doesn't compromise on content for me - like it's significantly better than the iPhone in that if its lying on my table with my iPhone, is choose the iPad. It feels like the full web.
I tried the mini, it doesn't give that feeling, it still feels like I'm getting skimped out, like using an iPhone

That's exactly my thinking, except I have an iPod touch, not an iPhone, which I carry around with me at all times. I guess I don't read enough books because that seems to be the sweet spot for 7" tablets.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Could you elaborate on which tablets have better screen, faster CPU? You haven't provided any details yet you seem to argue that mini is an inferior product - regarding which tablets?

Nook hd (better screen and ram), kindle hd (better screen) nexus 7 (better CPU and screen).

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010

+1

I agree 100%. iPad mini feels like a compromise when viewing the web. I have my iPhone5 if I need to view the web in a pinch on the go or need to look something up real quick. But if I want to view the web in all it's glory the way it was intended and plan on spending some time browsing or using apps, I'm going with the full iPad all the way! Plus the Retina makes it that much better. So best tablet IMO is the iPad4 right now. The mini may be the best portable tablet out there but to me the iPad3 was never bulky or a problem to me to carry around anyway. Now all of a sudden with the mini, the iPad3/4 is to bulky, big, heavy to carry around?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Nook hd (better screen and ram), kindle hd (better screen) nexus 7 (better CPU and screen).

Kindle HD from review: "web browser isn't great. I found it slow to scroll through web pages once I had double-tapped to zoom in on an area. Often I would just see a big blank area instead of text or pictures, and have to wait for a few seconds for anything to appear."...heavy and thick for its seven-inch screen...Kindle Fire HD is actually the slowest of the three. It benefits from a slightly higher GPU clock speed, but it is hampered by its higher resolution. It has much less battery life than iPad for video and gaming. It even doesn't ship with charger.

Nexus 7 has VGA camera like from Nokia dumbphone made in 2003. It has 30% less screen than iPad mini, heavier by more than 10%, thicker by 30% compared to mini, no 3G or LTE, laggy browser (chrome), LCD ripples, mono speaker, screen with washed colors, few optimised apps.

Nook HD has worst speakers, heavy and thick (11 mm) (from review: Nook HD's speakers are. There are two speakers, on the bottom of the tablet as you hold it in landscape — they're so astonishingly quiet that I spent a half-hour looking in settings to see if I had turned something down by accident (I hadn't.) Even in a dead-quiet room, dialog is virtually inaudible, and music is hard to hear even at full volume..Nook HD just doesn't work well. At all. Almost every time you touch anything, the response is riddled with lags, stutters, and crashes. Apps take a few seconds to load, each and every time. Whether you're scrolling in the browser or just in your library, it's stuttery and lags behind your finger. Playing Ski Safari (the best game in the world) was a jittery mess, with frame rates dipping so low at points I could barely see what was happening. .)

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Kindle HD from review: "web browser isn't great. I found it slow to scroll through web pages once I had double-tapped to zoom in on an area. Often I would just see a big blank area instead of text or pictures, and have to wait for a few seconds for anything to appear."...heavy and thick for its seven-inch screen...Kindle Fire HD is actually the slowest of the three. It benefits from a slightly higher GPU clock speed, but it is hampered by its higher resolution. It has much less battery life than iPad for video and gaming. It even doesn't ship with charger.

Nexus 7 has VGA camera like from Nokia dumbphone made in 2003. It has 30% less screen than iPad mini, heavier by more than 10%, thicker by 30% compared to mini, no 3G or LTE, laggy browser (chrome), LCD ripples, mono speaker, screen with washed colors, few optimised apps.

Nook HD has worst speakers, heavy and thick (11 mm) (from review: Nook HD's speakers are. There are two speakers, on the bottom of the tablet as you hold it in landscape — they're so astonishingly quiet that I spent a half-hour looking in settings to see if I had turned something down by accident (I hadn't.) Even in a dead-quiet room, dialog is virtually inaudible, and music is hard to hear even at full volume..Nook HD just doesn't work well. At all. Almost every time you touch anything, the response is riddled with lags, stutters, and crashes. Apps take a few seconds to load, each and every time. Whether you're scrolling in the browser or just in your library, it's stuttery and lags behind your finger. Playing Ski Safari (the best game in the world) was a jittery mess, with frame rates dipping so low at points I could barely see what was happening. .)

Fail. The Nexus 7 has a 1.3 mp front facing camera for Skype. It is not intended to be a camera for pictures. Fail 2 it comes with better then 3g. Fail 3 it has stereo speakers. Fail 4 the screen is crisp and clear.

Man where do people get facts from. Your entire post is a fail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.