Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
Hi everyone. I just got my brand new iPad 4 on launch day and I noticed that the color temperature is much warmer than on the iPad 3rd gen.
I own one myself and when I put them together the iPad 3 display looks much better and also brighter.
I don't know if this is just another case of the never-ending issue of the famous yellowish screen or if it's what the iPad 4 display is going to look like now LG is the new manufactor.

Anyone else who also got a new iPad 4 noticed something like that?

image.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Hi everyone. I just got my brand new iPad 4 on launch day and I noticed that the color temperature is much warmer than on the iPad 3rd gen.
I own one myself and when I put them together the iPad 3 display looks much better and also brighter.
I don't know if this is just another case of the never-ending issue of the famous yellowish screen or if it's what the iPad 4 display is going to look like now LG is the new manufactor.

Anyone else who also got a new iPad 4 noticed something like that?

url]

Actually, yellow is more typical of Samsung whilst pinkish white is more like LG, mine looks more like your pinkish white one.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Damn, so it's a defective iPad?

Not defective just different sourcing, like I said, mine is more like the pinkish white on your photo. These things are like the lottery you cannot know anything about the panel until you fire it up and compare it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I would be more concerned with bad pixels (tough to detect on a retina display) and heavy bleeding.

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
Not defective just different sourcing, like I said, mine is more like the pinkish white on your photo. These things are like the lottery you cannot know anything about the panel until you fire it up and compare it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I would be more concerned with bad pixels (tough to detect on a retina display) and heavy bleeding.

It isn't as bright either. What's the bleeding thing?
Thanks for the help!

----------

Be thankful for a uniform yellow. Here's my two-tone model:

:confused:

Oh my gosh! Is that an iPad 4 too?

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Mine started out really yellow and has subsided a little more as each day passes. See if that's the case. If it's still not up to your standards at the end of the 14-day trial period, exchange it.

dekoder

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
I guess Apple will make more warm screen than "cool" one for iPad4. So in future, we can't use it as excuse to change, as Apple will say :"all screen are like that". Next time if you get a "blue" screen, then you can change.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Oh my gosh! Is that an iPad 4 too?

Yes, that's a brand new 4, ordered from Apple online. Arrived off the FedEx truck on Friday. Actually, the whole thing seemed more yellow on day one. I feel like the white might be creeping up from the bottom. But I've looked at it so much I feel like I'm losing my damn mind trying to figure out what's yellow and what's white. I called Apple immediately (I'm about 100 miles from the nearest store). The tech asked me to send her some pictures (which I did) and asked me to check back in with her on Tuesday to see if it's improved any. But I can assure you, I'm not keeping this one unless it becomes totally uniform within the next week. I will be in a town with an Apple store this weekend, so if the yellow tint isn't gone by Saturday, I'm going to swap it.

My wife also bought a new iPad 4 (from Best Buy) yesterday. It also has a yellow hue, but it's not as pronounced and it's more uniform across the whole screen.

Both of them are distinctly yellow in comparison to my old iPhone 4. They were also yellow in comparison to an iPad 3 we had (but just sold it, so it's not here anymore for pictures). Here's another thread where I posted a pic of my new iPad with my iPhone 4 lying on top of it.

We've got a couple of iPhone 5s on the way. Curious to see what those look like.

----------

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
Yes, that's a brand new 4, ordered from Apple online. Arrived off the FedEx truck on Friday. Actually, the whole thing seemed more yellow on day one. I feel like the white might be creeping up from the bottom. But I've looked at it so much I feel like I'm losing my damn mind trying to figure out what's yellow and what's white. I called Apple immediately (I'm about 100 miles from the nearest store). The tech asked me to send her some pictures (which I did) and asked me to check back in with her on Tuesday to see if it's improved any. But I can assure you, I'm not keeping this one unless it becomes totally uniform within the next week. I will be in a town with an Apple store this weekend, so if the yellow tint isn't gone by Saturday, I'm going to swap it.

My wife also bought a new iPad 4 (from Best Buy) yesterday. It also has a yellow hue, but it's not as pronounced and it's more uniform across the whole screen.

Both of them are distinctly yellow in comparison to my old iPhone 4. They were also yellow in comparison to an iPad 3 we had (but just sold it, so it's not here anymore for pictures). Here's another thread where I posted a pic of my new iPad with my iPhone 4 lying on top of it.

We've got a couple of iPhone 5s on the way. Curious to see what those look like.

----------

my brother has an iPhone 5 and the screen looks as white/blueish as the iPad 3

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
It's rumored to be a final step in the manufacturing process, where the ipad's are dipped in a vat of piss for 5 minutes.

Just depends on the worker's mood that day.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Mine is very slightly more yellow than my iPhone 4, but I can live with that.

What I do notice is that it is not nearly as good off-angle than my phone. How are other people's new iPads in this regard?

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
Mine has the same viewing angle as its predecessor. The iPhone 5 has a better angle bc they took the gap between the glass and the display out.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah, the iPad is not terrible, but it definitely gets dimmer off-angle than the iPhone 4. I don't have an iPhone 5 to compare.

I'm having what may be a hardware issue as well, so I was just wondering if this is normal for the screen.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Looking at the iPad 3 and 4 side by side the 4 has a softer yellow/red tone and the 3 a (harsher to my eyes) blue tone.

Using both I def prefer the yellower tone, it's easier on the eyes but I understand why others prefer the other. (Indeed at full brightness, which I rarely use, I think the 3's colour is slightly better)

The iPhone 5's screen is different again than both of those screens. Ah the fun of screen variance. (I'm pleased that that the iPhone 5 replacement I got Saturday had as good a screen as the original I had, I had hell with variance on the 3GS)

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
It's not the color what I'm concerned about the most, but the brightness. I feel like my old iPad 3 display is brighter in daylight. Maybe I'm just overthinking and it's just my perception :D

----------

Yeah, the iPad is not terrible, but it definitely gets dimmer off-angle than the iPhone 4. I don't have an iPhone 5 to compare.

I'm having what may be a hardware issue as well, so I was just wondering if this is normal for the screen.

You mean same screen issue with iPad 4?

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
It's not the color what I'm concerned about the most, but the brightness. I feel like my old iPad 3 display is brighter in daylight. Maybe I'm just overthinking and it's just my perception :D

Yeah, just boosted the brightness again on both to compare. The iPad 3 does seem a bit brighter at max.

The more I compare the screens I'm not sure which I prefer. Either alone is fine but when you put them side by side, I begin to feel the 3 edges it with the white standing out a bit more (ESP comparing icons one iPad atop the other). I'll compare again in a week I thinks to see if there is any settling but I don't imagine there will be much change.

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
Well, I just think it wouldn't be that hard for apple to add an option in settings to adjust the color tempt, that would at least solve this issue/concern many of us have.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Is there generally a way to adjust color temp once a jailbreak becomes possible on a new version of iOS?

----------

Well, I just think it wouldn't be that hard for apple to add an option in settings to adjust the color tempt, that would at least solve this issue/concern many of us have.

They definitely need to do this. All they would need is a slider bar like the one for brightness.

iCenturio

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Is there generally a way to adjust color temp once a jailbreak becomes possible on a new version of iOS?

----------

They definitely need to do this. All they would need is a slider bar like the one for brightness.

ColorProfiles by Ryan Petrich, available on Cydia

weas

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
Yes, Cydia... but what about a default option in the settings menu. I think it would take the apple engineers less than 5 min to code that...
Looking forward the the jailbreak

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.