Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
True, but in theory the photos I'm currently working on would benefit from the SSD of the Fusion drive, even though the entire aperture library won't fit on the SSD. No?

I can't tell. I don't know how the fusion drive would work with your library. Maybe, as soon as you open a photo it moves it to the SSD so you can work with it faster. Another possibility is that it only moves it to the SSD in case you're using it a lot (more than any other photo that is).

I guess the only way to tell for sure is using a Fusion Drive for over a month and then an SSD for another one. Of course this isn't easy to do (lol) but it'd be the best way.

That is in the current generation of 256GB Apple SSD. The 256GB SSD in my 2011 MBA is less of a performer than the Fusion drive, and less than the current generation of 256GB SSD.

That's because in the 2011 MBAs the controller was SATA II 3Gbps (if I recall correctly). In this Mini and the 2012 MBAs (and new MBPs) they use a SATA III controller, which is 6Gbps.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
There was a day when, if you lived in Memphis, you'd get everything from FedEx next day regardless of what you paid for. Then they started holding packages in their warehouse to deliver on the scheduled day, but you could call and pick your package up if you were too eager to wait. Now I guess they're sending your package on the grand tour instead. :p

Heh. For me it was UPS that sent my package on a grand tour - FedEx delivered the mini two days earlier than scheduled. But my memory and SSD came via UPS. Here's the tracking history... notice that it was at the destination facility in Ontario 3 days before delivery, but got to go on a nice 4,000-mile trip around the country in between. :rolleyes::D

Code:
Ontario, CA, United States 	10/29/2012 	3:13 P.M. 	Delivered
Ontario, CA, United States 	10/29/2012 	7:36 A.M. 	Out For Delivery
Ontario, CA, United States 	10/28/2012 	9:07 P.M. 	Destination Scan
Ontario, CA, United States 	10/27/2012 	7:16 A.M. 	Arrival Scan
Albuquerque, NM, United States 	10/27/2012 	6:42 A.M. 	Departure Scan
Albuquerque, NM, United States 	10/27/2012 	5:34 A.M. 	Arrival Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 	10/27/2012 	4:29 A.M. 	Departure Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 	10/26/2012 	12:11 P.M. 	Arrival Scan
Ontario, CA, United States 	10/26/2012 	5:34 A.M. 	Departure Scan
Ontario, CA, United States 	10/25/2012 	11:20 P.M. 	Arrival Scan
Boise, ID, United States 	10/25/2012 	10:07 P.M. 	Departure Scan

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
The plot thickens. After doing a Time Machine restore for an hour, the setup process asked me to set up a new user account (???) so I did. Then when I got to the desktop, none of my files transferred over. None. I called Apple and they said to run Migration Assistant manually, which I am doing now. They said that Migration Assistant works with Fusion Drives, so that was not the problem. Or so I hope. Not as painless as I had hoped...

Oh, Disk Utility shows one volume named Macintosh HD, with 1.12 gigs of storage. There is no indication of SSD.

This is exactly what I thought (my post on page 1 of the thread). Someone else mentioned that there must be an index that specifies which file is stored where, SSD or HDD, and that file is backed up by Time Machine. So, when one runs the Time Machine restore, the index file specifies where to place the files being restored. The problem is that if you try to restore from a Time Machine backup made on a non-fusion drive to a Fusion Drive, that index file does not exist in the Time Machine backup. Hence, the problems with the restore process. These new Macs equipped with Fusion Drives must come with the newer version of Migration Assistant that is Fusion-Drive compatible. It probably places applications known to OS X to the SSD drive when restoring from an older Time Machine backup. User data is most likely restored to the HDD, and some of it will be moved to the SSD during the first days/weeks/months of using a Fusion-Drive equipped Mac.

As for the shipment speed, here’s the shipping record of my Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i7 with Fusion Drive:
- 11/01/2012
8:49 am: Delivered
7:59 am: On FedEx vehicle for delivery
7:55 am: At local FedEx facility
6:28 am: At destination sort facility
4:10 am: Departed FedEx location, MEMPHIS, TN
12:00 am: Arrived at FedEx location, MEMPHIS, TN

10/31/2012 - Wednesday
11:11 pm: International shipment release - Import MEMPHIS, TN
10:21 pm: In transit CHEK LAP KOK HK
3:49 pm: In transit LANTAU ISLAND HK
2:20 pm: Left FedEx origin facility SHENZHEN CN
9:15 am: Picked up SHENZHEN CN
12:36 am: Shipment information sent to FedEx

So, it literally took 36 hours 34 min for my Mac Mini to get to my house in North Carolina from the factory in Shenzhen, China. This is nothing short of amazing inventory management and delivery speed on Apple’s and FedEx part. I did pay an extra $13 or so for expedited shipping, but the speed with which it was delivered is just mind blowing.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I have isolated the SSD and HD used in the Fusion Drive, using iStat Menu.

They are Samsung SM128E for the SSD, and Hitachi HTS541010A9E662 for the HD.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
This is exactly what I thought (my post on page 1 of the thread). Someone else mentioned that there must be an index that specifies which file is stored where, SSD or HDD, and that file is backed up by Time Machine. So, when one runs the Time Machine restore, the index file specifies where to place the files being restored. The problem is that if you try to restore from a Time Machine backup made on a non-fusion drive to a Fusion Drive, that index file does not exist in the Time Machine backup. Hence, the problems with the restore process. These new Macs equipped with Fusion Drives must come with the newer version of Migration Assistant that is Fusion-Drive compatible. It probably places applications known to OS X to the SSD drive when restoring from an older Time Machine backup. User data is most likely restored to the HDD, and some of it will be moved to the SSD during the first days/weeks/months of using a Fusion-Drive equipped Mac.

For me, the first use of Migration Assistant from the initial setup screens failed, no data was migrated anywhere, and yet, the second use of Migration Assistant worked for me to the Fusion Drive from a non-Fusion backup. Apple says that Migration Assistant works with Fusion Drives. I don't know what went wrong, but I reported it to AppleCare.

As for the shipment speed, here’s the shipping record of my Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i7 with Fusion Drive:
- 11/01/2012
8:49 am: Delivered
7:59 am: On FedEx vehicle for delivery
7:55 am: At local FedEx facility
6:28 am: At destination sort facility
4:10 am: Departed FedEx location, MEMPHIS, TN
12:00 am: Arrived at FedEx location, MEMPHIS, TN

10/31/2012 - Wednesday
11:11 pm: International shipment release - Import MEMPHIS, TN
10:21 pm: In transit CHEK LAP KOK HK
3:49 pm: In transit LANTAU ISLAND HK
2:20 pm: Left FedEx origin facility SHENZHEN CN
9:15 am: Picked up SHENZHEN CN
12:36 am: Shipment information sent to FedEx

So, it literally took 36 hours 34 min for my Mac Mini to get to my house in North Carolina from the factory in Shenzhen, China. This is nothing short of amazing inventory management and delivery speed on Apple’s and FedEx part. I did pay an extra $13 or so for expedited shipping, but the speed with which it was delivered is just mind blowing.

We were on the same plane to Memphis. Mine ended up in Texas, and was delivered at 1:15pm...not quite as good as your morning delivery, but well within reasonable expectations. I also paid the $13 extra for shipping.

ianrip

macrumors 6502
With two separate part numbers, it sounds like 2 separate drives, doesn't it?

For me I think 1Tb is enough, however if we have a spare slot in the unit, it would make sense to fill it with another drive.
I'm still waiting on the Mini to arrive with Fusion drive.

thanks for the info

PS why don't you strip it down and post some photo's for the rest of us to look !!:D

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
That is in the current generation of 256GB Apple SSD. The 256GB SSD in my 2011 MBA is less of a performer than the Fusion drive, and less than the current generation of 256GB SSD.

As I said, I am happy with the performance.

IIRC, the motherboard connectors in the 2011 MBA were an older generation limiting performance at a lower than optimal transfer rate, so Apple used slower NAND. The 2012 MBA doesn't have that issue.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Less than 1 percent of the total price of the upgraded CPU, Fusion Drive, and AppleCare. Well worth it, IMO.

I ordered mine a day after you and received mine a day after you without spending the $13 extra shipping. That's why I find it odd that they give you the option.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Well, surprise, surprise. After broadening my Mini's worldview with a comprehensive tour of Asia, some whale watching in Alaska, and an aerial overview of central Canada, FedEx decided not to wait until Monday after all, and they popped that sucker on a delivery truck early this morning headed my way. :D

But now I see that UPS handed my memory sticks over to the post office, who promptly rerouted them to some remote appalachian outpost. :(

Ah, well, such is life. I wasn't expecting anything until next week anyway.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
They usually underpromise and overdeliver when it comes to shipments so you almost always get it sooner than promised and in the worst case scenario (or pre-orders) you get it when they promised.

Maybe they should put iTunes development under the same management as order fulfillment. ;)

You bet. It just got shipped and i will recieve on the 6th. Awsome! I just ordered 16 MB of ram too, for the low price of 75 USD equivalent.

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
has any of you "fusion-drivers" tried to open the Mini and take a look at the harddrives?

Like is it possible to replace the 2 drives that make the fusion drive with any other drives (like 2x512 GB SSD or so, in theory) or are there any hardware restrictions?

In other words: Has the Mac mini with Fusion Drive the same hardware layout and connectors as, say, the Mac mini server with dual 1TB HDD's (or like any single HDD Mac mini + OWC/ifixit 2nd HDD Kit)?

In what way is the lower HDD attached to the Mac Mini? Same as with the OWC/ifixit kit?

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
Man Fusion makes the computer feel like its running one one big SSD. Surfing is instant (due to the safari cache being on ssd) I am running a virtual linux box as well and it flys, trading software zooms by and Aperture is fast as well.

Fusion is definitely worth it.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
has any of you "fusion-drivers" tried to open the Mini and take a look at the harddrives?

Like is it possible to replace the 2 drives that make the fusion drive with any other drives (like 2x512 GB SSD or so, in theory) or are there any hardware restrictions?

In other words: Has the Mac mini with Fusion Drive the same hardware layout and connectors as, say, the Mac mini server with dual 1TB HDD's (or like any single HDD Mac mini + OWC/ifixit 2nd HDD Kit)?

In what way is the lower HDD attached to the Mac Mini? Same as with the OWC/ifixit kit?
I'm interested to know the same. They could be stuffing a standard 2.5" SSD in there, or they could be using flash chips on a board like they do with their retina MacBook Pro's and new iMacs.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I'm interested to know the same. They could be stuffing a standard 2.5" SSD in there, or they could be using flash chips on a board like they do with their retina MacBook Pro's and new iMacs.

In the mini, the SSD is shown in About This Mac as "APPLE SSD SM128E"...does that imply a standard SSD, or flash chips on a board?

La Linea

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
Germany
Hmm shipment is still in Transit here... Since the last 3 days no Tracking update here :confused:

Still in Hong Kong?
My Mini is in Liege (Lüttich) / Belgium:

03 Nov 2012 01:28:12 Liege Euro Hub Shipment In Transit.
03 Nov 2012 01:15:48 Liege Euro Hub Shipment Received At Transit Point.
02 Nov 2012 20:38:19 Arnhem Shipment In Transit.
02 Nov 2012 17:39:23 Arnhem Hub Shipment In Transit.
01 Nov 2012 10:12:21 Hong Kong Shipment In Transit.
31 Oct 2012 23:17:56 Hong Kong Shipment Received At Transit Point.
31 Oct 2012 21:51:00 Shenzhen Shipment In Transit.
31 Oct 2012 21:49:44 Shenzhen Shipment In Transit.
31 Oct 2012 20:57:30 Shenzhen Shipment Collected From Sender.

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012

According to a guy in the apple store it's two disks, one standard ssd and one hdd. It's like you buy the Mac mini server just with mixed drives and core storage activated. You can the replace the drives with other drives any time.

Still need to verify this by opening the mini when I get it anyway ;)

griefrev

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Louisville, KY
Ordered a BTO Mini when ordering began and waited awhile for shipping information. Got word last Wednesday that it would be here today...it came last Friday. Picked it up at FedEx and was setup an hour later. Love it!

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
According to a guy in the apple store it's two disks, one standard ssd and one hdd. It's like you buy the Mac mini server just with mixed drives and core storage activated. You can the replace the drives with other drives any time.

Still need to verify this by opening the mini when I get it anyway ;)
Thanks for that. If it's just an off-the-shelf 128GB SSD and 1GB Hard Drive, I'm curious why Fusion drive orders take so many days longer than a regular order. I understand that 10.8.2 is required for Core Storage to work, but that's been in consumer hands since October 4th.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Oh the joys of having a defective unit. Since my CTO is not in stock at the local apple store I have to wait for this entire process of wait and delivery once again. At least they threw in a Magic Trackpad for my inconvenience. They are also going to let me use the defective unit until my new Mac Mini arrives. Gonna be doing a lot of Handbrake before then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.