Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
It's currently set to voice only, I know all the new iPhone 5's come with it turned on automatically, is it ok to turn on data and international cdma? does it affect anything if I stay inside the US? Like will it connect to more towers or something? Don't want the bill to come and it's $500 because I turned the switch on.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
It's currently set to voice only, I know all the new iPhone 5's come with it turned on automatically, is it ok to turn on data and international cdma? does it affect anything if I stay inside the US? Like will it connect to more towers or something? Don't want the bill to come and it's $500 because I turned the switch on.

you'll be good in the USA.

just turn it off over seas.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
None at all.

Verizon and Sprint load all of their phones, including the iPhone with a Preferred Roaming List (PRL). This tells your phone which networks it can roam off of, and which it shouldn't. That's the list it will go by while you're in the US.

Turning off international roaming just tells the phone that anything outside of the US is off-limits.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
None at all.

Verizon and Sprint load all of their phones, including the iPhone with a Preferred Roaming List (PRL). This tells your phone which networks it can roam off of, and which it shouldn't. That's the list it will go by while you're in the US.

Turning off international roaming just tells the phone that anything outside of the US is off-limits.

so it has no effect whatsoever in the US?

yes it has PRL.. and yes it will have effect in the us. It has a list of accepetable towers (prl) if only voice is enabled..then only voice will roam etc. (places where you dont have service) it will show the "extended" in the top. Has only happen a few times and is slow..im sure its roaming on sprint the majority of the time.

@scaredpoet.. its not an just international roaming switch.. its roaming in general..

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
yes it has PRL.. and yes it will have effect in the us. It has a list of accepetable towers (prl) if only voice is enabled..then only voice will roam etc. (places where you dont have service) it will show the "extended" in the top. Has only happen a few times and is slow..im sure its roaming on sprint the majority of the time.

@scaredpoet.. its not an just international roaming switch.. its roaming in general..

will this raise my bill? Can't afford to pay any extra, hell I'm about to pay an overage since im at 1.9 gb out of 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.