Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkent25

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
Canada
Anyone else notice that it has become "cool" to hate on Apple? To all the haters that say Apple gear is too expensive I say--why are you here? Apple gear has always been more expensive then their competition, and now all of a sudden the towns folk are gathering with pitchforks and bats demanding blood. What gives? Don't like it don't buy it.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Noticed that too. Where in heck did those chords come from? ;)

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice, much like we haven't noticed the long overdue Logic X and a Mac Pro to run it on...

Just sayin'...

THis is EASILY done through the apple Garageband app. You can play the piano on top of an existing score or create a chord with one finger.....

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone else notice that it has become "cool" to hate on Apple? To all the haters that say Apple gear is too expensive I say--why are you here? Apple gear has always been more expensive then their competition, and now all of a sudden the towns folk are gathering with pitchforks and bats demanding blood. What gives? Don't like it don't buy it.

I noticed that too, especially in the media. It's like some see Apple as the new Microsoft. Maybe it's a legitimate concern as Apple under Tim's leadership seems to be putting a greater emphasis on margins than ever before. Short product cycles are now a concern as well.

Jmc323x

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I saw this ad about 10 times while watching The Walking Dead today. I still enjoy it.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I mean the stuff that it could actually be more useful than a big iPad for. What is this ad even showing? You can play piano with the same app on both iPads? What's the advantage of the iPad mini? This ad basically says that they're the same thing, but one is smaller. And I play violin, not piano...

In fact, who's to say that this is an iPad mini ad? They show both the devices both doing the same thing, and they say "iPad" then "iPad mini" at the end in text.

So seriously you need this ad explained to you? That unless everything is spelt out and spoon fed you don't understand the point of this ad?
That's what the product manual and specification page of the apple website is for.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Noticed that too. Where in heck did those chords come from? ;)

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice, much like we haven't noticed the long overdue Logic X and a Mac Pro to run it on...

Just sayin'...

Or maybe only musicians who know how to use garage band should comment? It has already been explained how it was done just using the iPad but your a musician so I am sure you can figure it out.

Don't you hate when you try to come off smart and end of looking foolish or is it commonplace?

----------

I noticed that too, especially in the media. It's like some see Apple as the new Microsoft. Maybe it's a legitimate concern as Apple under Tim's leadership seems to be putting a greater emphasis on margins than ever before. Short product cycles are now a concern as well.

That explains why the iPad mini has abnormally low margins for apple. When you say Tim is putting a greater emphasis on margins do you mean lowering them? Like I said the mini has low margins for an apple device.

Renzatic

Suspended
That explains why the iPad mini has abnormally low margins for apple. When you say Tim is putting a greater emphasis on margins do you mean lowering them? Like I said the mini has low margins for an apple device.

Does it? I figured the Mini would be a high margin device for them. It's really just an iPad 2 in a smaller chassis, hardware that's a year and a half old by this point. It's llikely cheaper and easier to produce now than it was when it was new.

I'd imagine its a pretty high margin device.

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
It's dull, sickly sweet, the music grates, actually it's annoying lol. Even my electric toothbrush has a piano app.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Does it? I figured the Mini would be a high margin device for them. It's really just an iPad 2 in a smaller chassis, hardware that's a year and a half old by this point. It's llikely cheaper and easier to produce now than it was when it was new.

I'd imagine its a pretty high margin device.

Actually you are wrong and Marksman is correct. Apple actually quoted this fact during the release or interviews shortly after.
I would guess in any case that it would naturally have a lower margin than the full size. An iPad of 1/2 the size DOES NOT make it 1/2 the price, this is a very normal very common reality when making any product.

Renzatic

Suspended
Actually you are wrong and Marksman is correct. Apple actually quoted this fact during the release or interviews shortly after.
I would guess in any case that it would naturally have a lower margin than the full size. An iPad of 1/2 the size DOES NOT make it 1/2 the price, this is a very normal very common reality when making any product.

Yeah, I know. Usually half the size means twice the cost. Miniaturizing can be pretty expensive.

But what I thought they did was take the actual iPad 2 hardware, tweaked the shape a little bit, and put it in a smaller body. The iPad mainboard is tiny as it is, barely even taking up, like, a 10th of the space inside. All this time, I assumed the Mini was just a glorified retrofit.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Terrible ad. IPad vs iPad mini. Your now calling your flagship product to big. Yes, lets give more credibility to smaller cheaper tablets especially when the cheaper mini is how to find.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple gear has always been more expensive then their competition, and now all of a sudden the towns folk are gathering with pitchforks and bats demanding blood. What gives? Don't like it don't buy it.

When it comes to computers, most people don't. When it comes to smartphones, most people don't. With tablets, the lead is diminishing.

And lots of Apple buyers liked it better when Apple was an exclusive little club. The hedge funds? Not so much.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
The video is a Vimeo one for the Philips light bulb or has my browser lost it's marbles?

This is the second time in a week that this has happened.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Really Amazing Execution

Apple-esque! I've been listening to this a lot many times now. A beautiful choice of the song - and a really amazing executing to introduce the iPad Mini to the masses.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
You'd never know it from their smartphone sales dominance. But if what you say is true, then I suppose Samsung would have even a more massive sales lead over Apple had the ad been different?

Samsung's "Smartphone Sales Dominance" does not come from the S3, it comes from redefining all their feature phones as Smart Phones and then never, ever releasing sales figures.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
There's a lame piano app, but no native YouTube app smh :mad:

It is much more than a lame piano app, these are not Android devices.

What is it that you want to do on youtube that you can't do on an iPad? The current native youtube app from google is only for the phone, but so what. 90% of people look at youtube in a web browser and youtube works in the iPad browser just fine.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Terrible ad. IPad vs iPad mini. Your now calling your flagship product to big. Yes, lets give more credibility to smaller cheaper tablets especially when the cheaper mini is how to find.

iPad mini will become 'iPad' and iPad will become 'iPad too big'. ;)

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
Mini owners - is it tough to type on? I'm thinking of buying one for xmas and don't have the tiniest fingers. Just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.