Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
I work for a large travel company in the UK, looking at Google Analytics, the average spend on our website is really interesting.

Average spend per device on holidays/flights/booking:

iOS Phones: £352
iOS Tablets: £421
Android Phones: £188
Android Tablets £201

When you think about these statistics, and the amount of Android users that have to flood these forums with their need to compare and ridicule an inferior product, I don't find it surprising that the average iPad/iPhone user has more disposable income for holidays/luxury products.

MNealBarrett

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
I work for a large travel company in the UK, looking at Google Analytics, the average spend on our website is really interesting.

Android Tablets £201

When you think about these statistics, and the amount of Android users that have to flood these forums with their need to compare and ridicule an inferior product, I don't find it surprising that the average iPad/iPhone user has more disposable income for holidays/luxury products.

People who buy more expensive products have more disposable income!! OH MY, WHAT A CONCEPT!!

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Might it be more so that someone with a higher disposable income would be more inclined to use traditionally pricier Apple products?

or traditionally better Apple products? Might be both too.

Last edited by a moderator:

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
At the end of the day, do you really care about Android users/iOS users? Does anyone really, truly care about this?

I would say this should be the concern but I also suppose people want to feel they made the "right choice" whether it be religion, political figures... Apple/Android products. *shrug*

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Might it be more so that someone with a higher disposable income would be more inclined to use traditionally pricier Apple products?

The only reason I can think of why people write off the iPad 4/ iPad Mini so venomously is the simple fact that can't afford one.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
The only reason I can think of why people write off the iPad 4/ iPad Mini so venomously is the simple fact that can't afford one.

you have to understand that some people have different tastes and preferences, learn to respect others decisions, especially when it comes to the little insignificant things in life (gadgets etc)

MNealBarrett

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
Android tablets are a mixed bag. A lot of crap, especially almost any Android tablet under $190. There are some quality Android tablets, though. I loved my Motorola Xoom, it was awesome. The only reason that I sold it to my brother is that it was just a bit too big, I worried about dropping it. To be fair, I would have had exactly the same problem with an iPad 2 or 3.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008

Disagree. It comes down to preferences and what people choose to spend their money on. I personally think the Mini is weak and the iPad 4 offers nothing to excite me. It doesn't mean that I can't afford to buy them.

People who defend what phone or tablet they carry so venomously are immature and need a reality check. It works both ways. Die hard Apple fans are just as bad as Android fans eager to force their point across. You all need to grow the **** up.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
disagree. It comes down to preferences and what people choose to spend their money on. I personally think the mini is weak and the ipad 4 offers nothing to excite me. It doesn't mean that i can't afford to buy them.

People who defend what phone or tablet they carry so venomously are immature and need a reality check. It works both ways. Die hard apple fans are just as bad as android fans eager to force their point across. You all need to grow the **** up.

thank you! ;)

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
LOL... is there anything more idiotic than people arguing/insulting each other over what brand of device the buy? Goodness.

These companies are laughing all the way to the bank

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
those are really amazing statics - I've seen similar comparisons but the magnitude of yours blows the others away.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
At the end of the day, do you really care about Android users/iOS users? Does anyone really, truly care about this?

I would say this should be the concern but I also suppose people want to feel they made the "right choice" whether it be religion, political figures... Apple/Android products. *shrug*

Business care. This will tell them where to put their development and marketing resource. If business come mainly from IOS user, they will spend more time catering to IOS user through better app development, focus their market research on IOS user etc. This is an interesting article on app revenue comparison between IOS and Android.

http://gigaom.com/apple/apple-blowing-away-android-with-up-to-90-of-app-revenue/

Munster figures Apple owns about 85 to 90 percent of current mobile app spending. While he’s measuring lifetime revenue, which provides Apple with an advantage, the discrepancy is larger than be explained by the App Store’s head start alone.

With numbers like that, iOS device owners have nothing to fear when it comes to the possibility of developers fleeing en masse to Android as it becomes the world’s dominant mobile operating system. And it looks like Apple will retain that crown for a long time, too, even if trends continue to favor Android: Munster suggests Apple will keep more than 70 percent of mobile app revenue share for the next three or four years.

Why? Android apps just don’t make anywhere near as much money through Google’s Market, nor are they downloaded as often. By Munster’s calculations, the Android Market has around 6,750,000,000 downloads to date, compared to Apple’s 18,566,331,811. Those have resulted in respective gross revenues of $341,765,335 and $4,939,611,127 respectively. Of the gross revenue, developers have seen $239,235,734 from the Market, while $3,457,727,789 has been paid out to those making software for iOS. Percentage-wise, paid apps account for only 1.3 percent of Android apps, vs 13.5 percent for iOS.

The difference is striking, and will mean Apple’s platform is likely to continue to hold a strong lead over Google’s when it comes to the breadth and depth of software selection. It also means Apple isn’t likely to freak out if Google moves a few more devices per year than it does; a strong ecosystem should keep customers coming back in strong enough numbers to keep iOS device and software revenue extremely high despite dwindling market share.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
There was a study recently that showed some people identify with a favorite brand so strongly that their self-esteem is hurt when someone criticizes it. "Fanboyism" seems related to self-esteem issues. People need to wake up from the trance.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Thats why Android users buy thicker, heavier tablets with crap cameras and crap speakers, without 3G, without back cameras, with smaller, washed color screens and they are so proud of their poor choices or try to justify the fact that they bought cheap crap. Its like buyers of disposable Yugo cars pretend that they've got better deal than those who bought BMW. Only in Apple's case, its products are much more affordable with much higher quality.

The Intellectual Divide at work, people so brainwashed by a brand they fail to note reality as it is anymore .

You got to give credit to apple they sure know how to brainwash and indoctrinate.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Android Tablets £201

Are you using a user agent string check to determine this? Because the Android browser and Chrome both have an option to "Show desktop site". Many Android users use this all the time and would show up as "Linux" in your stats.

I'm not saying your ratio of spend is wrong but your stats are almost certainly seriously skewed.

----------

Thats why Android users buy ...

How's that GPS working on the iPad mini? Thing is... even if you had it as on the Nexus 7, you wouldn't know where you were because of Maps. :D

Last edited:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

Android Tablets £201

So you're pretty much saying the iPhone is inferior. HA HA silly euros, can't even formulate their troll arguments well. LOL

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I don't find it surprising that the average iPad/iPhone user has more disposable income for holidays/luxury products.

That's a complete statistics fail right there because you can't show causation. You certainly can't even come close to making the claim that iOS users have more disposable income.

Example alternate hypothesis: Maybe, like a lot of other sites, your site doesn't work as well under Android as iOS and so Android users are resorting to booking from their laptop/desktop.

It's amazing how some people seem to actually be proud of ignorance.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

Android Tablets £201

Money spent had no correlation to the intellectual capacity of a person. Some people may even think that thriftiness is a trait of smarter people. In addition, there is ususlly a disconnect between money spent and the amount of disposable income that person has.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Are you using a user agent string check to determine this? Because the Android browser and Chrome both have an option to "Show desktop site". Many Android users use this all the time and would show up as "Linux" in your stats.

Just checked on my Nexus 7, the user string is showing the correct info, but the summary for my device is Chrome 18 on Linux

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
I'm not saying your ratio of spend is wrong but your stats are almost certainly seriously skewed

Correct. And without further data the stats given are of no use at all. For instance, maybe your Android visitors are more likely to book for 1-2 people, whereas your iOS visitors may book more often for a whole family. Maybe Android visitors prefer short weekend breaks, and iOS users week long breaks.

Basically, trying to discern who has more disposable income from the stats the OP has given is pointless.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Money spent had no correlation to the intellectual capacity of a person. Some people may even think that thriftiness is a trait of smarter people. In addition, there is ususlly a disconnect between money spent and the amount of disposable income that person has.

Steve Jobs was well known for being very thrifty and not buying a lot of decorative items... or even furniture!

This whole thread deserves oblivion.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
or traditionally better Apple products? Might be both too.

Better is really subjective now isn't it? If Apple hadn't fired Scott Forstall, I might be inclined to think otherwise, but even Apple is starting realize they've become stagnant with iOS.

Edit: Because this thread is genuinely about the wealth of iOS users vs. Android users, and who spends more. I will say that I run a business in a very high end part of town, and while the wealthier demographic that shops with us for the most part doesn't care about price. I know a few 1%ers out that that are extremely frugal with their finances. Choice in mobile OS really has nothing to do with it, and everyone out there from the top, down to the bottom is always looking to save money, trust me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.