Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
I'm passing through New York on my way home to Norway from Canada. First time I've ever been in North America.
I've got something like 48 hours in NY, so thought it best to ask here:

Where can I enjoy the best burger New York has to offer?

Also, I'd like to hit up a bar somewhere in between Central Park and lower manhattan on Sunday night. Any place in particular I should go? Remember, I'm all alone and by myself.

recharge23

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
there's so many good options. mouth is watering just thinking about them (i lived in manhattan for 4 years before moving to seoul this past may).

there's actually quite a few places that i haven't tried so i'll give you my opinion on the ones i have tried.

1. the spotted pig - something about the roquefort cheese and perfect shoestring fries makes this my favorite. might even get to rub elbows with jayz.
2. minetta tavern - the black label burger is famous for its $26(?) price tag but it is so worth it. i can't imagine eating a burger like this often though.
3. corner bistro - a simple, bar burger that's been around forever but nothing truly special about it.
4. shake shack - even though this is the easiest to get, still does the job every single time.
5. the breslin bar & dining room - this one is a lamb burger which might not sound great at first but it is delectable.
6. JG Melon - a lot of people like this place but i found it to be rather plain.
7. burgers and barrels - really nothing special in my opinion.

i'm a little sad i never tried out burger joint but i'd venture to say that it probably wouldn't break my top 2.

have fun! let me know which one u decide on.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
Thank you so much recharge23, for your extensive list!
I will at least try one of the top 2, probably both ;)

In my Googling, Burger Joint was mentioned a few times. I may have to give them a visit too.

Any bar recommendations?

Smc1978

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
We enjoyed the Burger Joint when we visited, its hidden away in the Le Parker Meridien Hotel. Look for the Neon Burger sign hidden at the end of a corridor in reception.

You'll get a simple great tasting burger.

Smc

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
-Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien
-Prime Burger on 51st street
-Smith and Wollensky (high end steakhouse *pricy*)
-And of course Shake Shack

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
Wow, thanks a lot guys!

Seems I have to make up my mind here :)

Anything else I should eat/experience whilst in NY?

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Sorry to threadjack;

How is it in NYC right now? Are most of the trains running? Are cabs running? Is traffic just ridiculous? I am going there next week and am just curious what to expect. My hotel got electricty back over the weekend, so that's a positive. I used to live there, but never through anything like this. I convinced myself that because there is so much money involved in anything related to NYC, it will have to be up and running ASAP.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
Thanks a lot guys!

Shake Shack WAS damn good. I'll try The Burger Joint later today before I go home.

And I understand now how stupid it was asking about bars. Did find one though! :)

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
there's so many good options. mouth is watering just thinking about them (i lived in manhattan for 4 years before moving to seoul this past may).

there's actually quite a few places that i haven't tried so i'll give you my opinion on the ones i have tried.

1. the spotted pig - something about the roquefort cheese and perfect shoestring fries makes this my favorite. might even get to rub elbows with jayz.
2. minetta tavern - the black label burger is famous for its $26(?) price tag but it is so worth it. i can't imagine eating a burger like this often though.
3. corner bistro - a simple, bar burger that's been around forever but nothing truly special about it.
4. shake shack - even though this is the easiest to get, still does the job every single time.
5. the breslin bar & dining room - this one is a lamb burger which might not sound great at first but it is delectable.
6. JG Melon - a lot of people like this place but i found it to be rather plain.
7. burgers and barrels - really nothing special in my opinion.

i'm a little sad i never tried out burger joint but i'd venture to say that it probably wouldn't break my top 2.

have fun! let me know which one u decide on.

Seoul, are you Korean? If you are - *high five*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.