Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
So on Apple's website you can purchase the iPad mini, iPad 2 and the new iPad Retina.

Two questions:

What happened to the iPad 3? Why are they no longer available?

What are the major differences between the 3 and the new iPad with Retina?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
New processor, better wifi, hd Facetime camera and lightning.

weas

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
So on Apple's website you can purchase the iPad mini, iPad 2 and the new iPad Retina.

Two questions:

What happened to the iPad 3? Why are they no longer available?

What are the major differences between the 3 and the new iPad with Retina?

The 3 is no longer available.
The biggest difference between the two is PERFORMANCE. The iPad 4 has a much better chip.
There are other big improvements like the from camera, the lightning connector, the 12Watt charger, the lightning port and the improved WiFi reception.
It's what the iPad 3 should have been

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
shafted

upgraded with faster processor/graphics, lightning port. No biggie imo unless you're a spec whore

KevinMHC

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
i think the ipad 3 had heat problems apple didnt want us to know

might have lead to premature battery failure etc

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Shafted is the operative word! Apple put out a POS ipad3 just like they just put out a POS Mac mini 1 so they can bring out the correct version in 6 months. I paid $630 plus tax for my ipad3 with Verizon. My wife paid $500 plus tax for her base iPad 3. Seven months later its going for $375 refurb full warranty on apple.com. Lost 25 percent in seven months. Actually more if try to sell on CL. Yes apple xxxxxx a lot of loyal buyers.

shafted

upgraded with faster processor/graphics, lightning port. No biggie imo unless you're a spec whore

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Shafted is the operative word! Apple put out a POS ipad3 just like they just put out a POS Mac mini 1 so they can bring out the correct version in 6 months. I paid $630 plus tax for my ipad3 with Verizon. My wife paid $500 plus tax for her base iPad 3. Seven months later its going for $375 refurb full warranty on apple.com. Lost 25 percent in seven months. Actually more if try to sell on CL. Yes apple xxxxxx a lot of loyal buyers.

Using the iPad 3 as an investment is not a good idea as technology is quickly changing. I'm sure your model works perfectly fine however.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

News Flash. Hardware gets updated. iPad 1 owners didn't whine about getting shafted once they brought out the 2, even those who bought theirs less than seven months before the two came out.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The iPad 3 was discontinued entirely because in the eyes of the *average* consumer there is little difference between it and the iPad 4. Most would still opt for a discounted iPad 3. The iPad 2 still has the old low res screen and is cheaper to produce which means a higher profit margin.

If you want a cheaper, quality iPad the refurb 3's are a good move IMO.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
i think the ipad 3 had heat problems apple didnt want us to know

might have lead to premature battery failure etc

Could we put this false rumor to rest?
I've had an ipad 3 since day one and it has NEVER had a heat problem.
I have yet to see anyone using oven mitts to hold the iPad.
I would love the better chip in the v4,
but the v3 (at least mine) does NOT get hot.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
Could we put this false rumor to rest?
I've had an ipad 3 since day one and it has NEVER had a heat problem.
I have yet to see anyone using oven mitts to hold the iPad.
I would love the better chip in the v4,
but the v3 (at least mine) does NOT get hot.

Agreed. I've had mine since march and no heat issues here. Gets slightly warm when running graphics heavy games/apps but it doesn't require a radiation suit to handle ;)

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008

yeah, i was just lucky that i sold mine 2 months before the new ipad announcement, which is why im not peeved

Bigmacduck

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
My iPad 3 never got hot under normal indoor or outdoor use. It only got hot when used in bright summer sunlight above ambient temperatures above 85F

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Thanks for all the info. It was just weird to see the iPad 2 still on sale and the iPad 3 totally gone like it wasn't ever part of the line up. I've had the 3 since day one with no issues. I'm just debating with myself whether it's worth the upgrade charge to go to the 4. I went from the original to the 3 and loved the changes.

Mmmmmmm - what to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.