Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatpoopmccray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I ujust recently purchased a iMac 27inch and i would like to run windows 8 on it also. Whats the best VM software for OSX?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
VMware Fusion and Parallels both have their fans
Pretty much personal preference

You can try VirtualBox (free) but it appears to be more limited

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
VirtualBox. It's free and works just as well. I use that for all my VM needs, regardless of the host OS.

zoffdino

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
I use VMware Fusion cause it's stable, less intrusive to my Mac, and integrates well with VMware on Windows. The last one is the killer deal for me as I tend to use it for corporate stuffs.

Other than that, Parallel is faster, has better graphics support. Choose your favorite.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I've never used parallels but I've been very happy with VMware Fusion 5 FWIW.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I bought Parallels in May and was a big fan of the program. Both Parallels and VMware run faster and offer certain advance features than virtual box.

I am no longer a fan of Parallels because their is a dual monitor usage bug in the product. Parallels has not fixed it, but the problem does not occur in Parallels 8 which came out a couple months ago. Any company that forces me to upgrade on a product that a year old or less to get a bug fix, will no longer get my money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.