Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LosFive3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Hi I was wondering if you guys can tell me if this is worth getting at a price of $750 with AppleCare till Nov 2014 I need to do some video editing and some photoshop and was wondering if this model good for that? And is it true I can put 32gb Ram? So guys please let me know if its worth getting @$750

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This is the exact same iMac I have now (i7, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB and user upgraded ram, only to 16GB though). I assume you're talking about the 2011 model. If so it's a very good machine. If you don't get 16GB ram it's cheap to buy that. It was a real pain to put in the 16GB ram though. A design flaw in my opinion.

About 32GB ram. I'd get a 2nd opinion on that but I think you can put 32 in that. I don't see that being a wise move though. I think 16 should be enough.

Is this computer a good one? Yes very even today. Is it worth $750 vs a full priced new iMac? Tough decision. I am tempted to say yes. I paid about $1800 for mine with student discount back in 2011. That's Aussie dollars so in US dollars would prob be 1600 with no discount.

I do use photoshop, iMovie, a little logic pro etc etc on it. All just fine. Nothing like 4k or 1080 full movies in Final Cut Pro X though. I'd totally get a 2nd opinion but I think for the $750 I think it is a relatively good deal.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi I was wondering if you guys can tell me if this is worth getting at a price of $750 with AppleCare till Nov 2014 I need to do some video editing and some photoshop and was wondering if this model good for that? And is it true I can put 32gb Ram? So guys please let me know if its worth getting @$750

Which generation iMac? That makes all the difference.

wwyjoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
I second that. Just installed 4 pieces of Kingston 8GB RAM on my 2011 21.5 iMac, and all's working well !

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Buy it and buy it fast. That's the same iMac I have that runs amazing and I bought it for $1800 in August of 2011. You'll be getting it at under half price for a year old machine really. They run amazing and well worth saving the money.

As far as RAM goes, it can hold up to 32GB. As people have mentioned though it CAN be unstable so unless you really need that much RAM I would stick with 16GB.

----------

G.Skill does make Apple Qualified RAM, this is not it.

That is a lie. This RAM will work perfectly fine. You don't ned "Apple Qualified RAM" you just need RAM with the same specs. if you look in the feedback people point out that the RAM posted works fine in 2011 macs. Do your research before giving advice.

LosFive3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Buy it and buy it fast. That's the same iMac I have that runs amazing and I bought it for $1800 in August of 2011. You'll be getting it at under half price for a year old machine really. They run amazing and well worth saving the money.

As far as RAM goes, it can hold up to 32GB. As people have mentioned though it CAN be unstable so unless you really need that much RAM I would stick with 16GB.

----------

That is a lie. This RAM will work perfectly fine. You don't ned "Apple Qualified RAM" you just need RAM with the same specs. if you look in the feedback people point out that the RAM posted works fine in 2011 macs. Do your research before giving advice.

Update : I purchased the Mac for $700 and I put the 24gb ram 8 was already installed, the Gskill worked perfectly , Final Cut renders really fast, just a hell of a machine! For $700 is really a steal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.