Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I just bought an ipad 3 and my main concern is that the ipad won't get the ios 7 update cause apple already descontinued,what do you think?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I just bought an ipad 3 and my main concern is that the ipad won't get the ios 7 update cause apple already descontinued,what do you think?

Why are you concerned about the future when the present is working for you? Even if iOS7 is released for the current iPads, it won't have all the features anyway.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i cannot see why not it wouldn't get the update just because they have stopped selling doesn't mean they wont stop supporting it straight away i should of thought that you would get a couple of operating systems out of your iPad 3 before its not supported just like they have done with iPad 1 you were able to get OS4 & OS5 on your iPad 1 before it was stopped been supported.So you should be able to get the same.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Do you know what iOS7 will have? Maybe it will have features that won't be supported by older devices. You can't go by the current situation.

...and for those same reasons, you can't assume that it will be lacking features.

Yes, the iPad 3 will support iOS 7, we just don't know to what extent.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Do you know what iOS7 will have? Maybe it will have features that won't be supported by older devices. You can't go by the current situation.
Given that the iPad 3 and iPad 4 are essentially identical aside from CPU, and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5, and given that the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 will be the latest products of their respective lines when iOS 7 comes out, it seems extremely unlikely that major elements will be missing.

iOS8? Sure, because the iPhone 6 and iPad 5 (or whatever) will be out before then.

But for iOS7, it seems very unlikely that major features won't be supported, unless they have the iPhone 6 and the iPad 5 ready for the iOS 7 launch.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
...and for those same reasons, you can't assume that it will be lacking features.

Yes, the iPad 3 will support iOS 7, we just don't know to what extent.

Given that the iPad 3 and iPad 4 are essentially identical aside from CPU, and given that the CPU on the iPad 3 is equivalent to that on the iPhone 5, and given that the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 will be the latest products of their respective lines when iOS 7 comes out, it seems extremely unlikely that major elements will be missing.

iOS8? Sure, because the iPhone 6 and iPad 5 (or whatever) will be out before then.

But for iOS7, it seems very unlikely that major features won't be supported, unless they have the iPhone 6 and the iPad 5 ready for the iOS 7 launch.

True. I should have mentioned both sides. :)

wenghan1992

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011

iPad 3 have an A5X processor which in geekbench score similar to A5 in iPhone 4S because of its 2048-by-1536 resolution retina display. iPhone 5 score double in geekbench compare to iPad 3 because of its A6 chip which score similar to iPad 4's A6X. :apple:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iPad 3 have an A5X processor which in geekbench score similar to A5 in iPhone 4S because of its 2048-by-1536 resolution retina display. iPhone 5 score double in geekbench compare to iPad 3 because of its A6 chip which score similar to iPad 4's A6X. :apple:
True... but the iPad Mini argues for support of the iPad 3 (and 2) and iPhone 4S as well, since it would be surprising for Apple to not support hardware in the first OS upgrade since that hardware was announced.

I'm not saying there won't be some features not accessible to the iPad 3, but I can't believe there'd be anything significant.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
No telling at this point but probably yes. Why would you think that it wouldn't? If you want an idea then look at the list of devices currently supported and devices not supported by IOS6 and draw your own conclusions.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Just because they don't sell the 3rd gen iPad anymore, doesn't mean they are getting rid of it completely...

100% certain the iPad 3 will get iOS 7, but your same logic was the exact one mentioned by everyone on this board on why the iPad 1 didn't get iOS 6 (ex "Because they don't sell it anymore".)

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
For shure it will.
Even iOS 8, only question is what new features will be missing.
Think iOS 7 could be fully supported, since new mini is on A5 chip as well. At least it should be.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
True... but the iPad Mini argues for support of the iPad 3 (and 2) and iPhone 4S as well, since it would be surprising for Apple to not support hardware in the first OS upgrade since that hardware was announced.

I'm not saying there won't be some features not accessible to the iPad 3, but I can't believe there'd be anything significant.

not true, by this reasoning the ipad 2 should have gotten Siri with iOS 6.
Furthermore the iPad 1 should have supported iOS 6, since the 3GS did. I think that the support for new OS is contingent upon how long ago was the device discontinued. the iPad 3 is discontinued - no longer for sale. The support of such devices wont last long - historically anyway.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Ok,so I am starting to freak out when I read the last comment,so what you say is that ipad 3 is descontinued and ios 6 is the last update.ok,now I feel aloooot better :(

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
not true, by this reasoning the ipad 2 should have gotten Siri with iOS 6.
Furthermore the iPad 1 should have supported iOS 6, since the 3GS did. I think that the support for new OS is contingent upon how long ago was the device discontinued. the iPad 3 is discontinued - no longer for sale. The support of such devices wont last long - historically anyway.

the iPad 1 could barely handle iOS5 though.

the iPad Mini however lacks behind the iPad 3 and given that the iPad Mini is still new, id say its a save bet that iPad 3 will handle iOS 7 just fine

iPad Mini - A5 + 512 mb ram
iPad 3 - A5x + 1 GB ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.