Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Torn on which color and was thinking Ill just get what will be the easiest to resale if theres any difference at all. I like the white face, but much prefer the slate back. When they update Ill most likely be selling it and getting the new version, so the question is. Is one color going to be any easier to sell then the other?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
White is hard to come by.

Shorter supply ==> higher price

I can confirm this. If you go to Amazon to trade in any iPad the white iPad's have the higher trade in value. I like white better because it hides finger prints and smudges better.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I thought white was the higher resale item but I think that the "excitement" of white has lowered significantly. I know white sold out faster than black with the Mini but it seems that may be due more to uneven supplies rather than popularity. (But then again, the desirability of white increased once people found out it sold out so who knows. I know I fell for it and got a white and now I regret it because my Apple Store can't hold Black in stock long enough for me to get it replaced)

I can confirm this. If you go to Amazon to trade in any iPad the white iPad's have the higher trade in value. I like white better because it hides finger prints and smudges better.
Thats not true. With both the iPhone and iPad3 then White trade in value was $30+ less than the black. Same goes for Best Buy and Ebay Trade in.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
One thing to consider is scratches. The white models will definitely hide their scratches better. If you typically are able to keep your devices in sturdy cases and in pristine condition, then this won't matter.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Don't buy for the next owner. That's just plain dumb. Neither color is going to have a price premium, and since you only have one to sell you only need one buyer. Buy what you like. It's your money.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Don't buy for the next owner. That's just plain dumb. Neither color is going to have a price premium, and since you only have one to sell you only need one buyer. Buy what you like. It's your money.

I like both. Its a toss up.. Love the slate, but also like the white face. Figured one would stand out more once I could get my hands on them, but that wasnt the case at all, it just made the decision even harder.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I like both. Its a toss up.. Love the slate, but also like the white face. Figured one would stand out more once I could get my hands on them, but that wasnt the case at all, it just made the decision even harder.

Go to the store and play w/ each for 10 min. I think it will help you decide. You can't judge from pics. Personally I only buy black b/c it blends with the screen. I find white bezels distracting because it pulls your eyes away from the screen. But that's me. Some people like white for the fashion statement.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Go to the store and play w/ each for 10 min. I think it will help you decide. You can't judge from pics. Personally I only buy black b/c it blends with the screen. I find white bezels distracting because it pulls your eyes away from the screen. But that's me. Some people like white for the fashion statement.

I figured the same, and decided on the black for my phone for that reason, but in person it made me even more torn between the two. The mini will be used mainly for browsing and as a reader, so the white being a distraction isnt a concern. Been to the store twice now since I pass it on the way home, and still torn. Kinda leaning towards white since I have never had any white apple gadgets when they offer both colors, but dont want to regret it is all, so I figured if theres a difference at all in resale Ill just go with that as the tie breaker.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Hmm maybe i'm missing something but on Amazon's website the white iPad's tend to have a slightly higher trade in value.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/s/r...ics-tradein&field-keywords=ipad&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Log on and black seems to have a higher value. But again, I find buying for the next owner silly.

----------

I figured the same, and decided on the black for my phone for that reason, but in person it made me even more torn between the two. The mini will be used mainly for browsing and as a reader, so the white being a distraction isnt a concern. Been to the store twice now since I pass it on the way home, and still torn. Kinda leaning towards white since I have never had any white apple gadgets when they offer both colors, but dont want to regret it is all, so I figured if theres a difference at all in resale Ill just go with that as the tie breaker.

Well you can always buy white, try it for a few days and if you decide you want black exchange. At least you can do this if you buy from the Apple Store.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

I could not agree more. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go!

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I could not agree more. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go!

What lengths? People are far to passionate about this stuff here. Like stated above, I like both, and have plans to sell it later. So if both are on a even playing field for me, then why wouldnt I take into consideration resale value?

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Torn on which color and was thinking Ill just get what will be the easiest to resale if theres any difference at all. I like the white face, but much prefer the slate back. When they update Ill most likely be selling it and getting the new version, so the question is. Is one color going to be any easier to sell then the other?

If you like the face, well, that's the side you will see while using it.
So please yourself.

Resale difference is minimal between colors.
However the white housing might holdup better and it's condition alone would bring a higher resale value.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Going to go white this time around. I dont believe in returning a product based on my mistake so Ill live with it if its not what I wanted exactly. The scratch resistance(or visibly showing them anyways) and finger prints make it attractive to me. Plus I have never gone that route before so why not give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.