Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacprobook

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Love them or hate them (envy?), what other product EVER, has sold at a rate of 11.5 units every second, even when we are now in the gloomiest economic situation for many years?

I'd call the iPad/iPad mini successful. :apple:

attila

macrumors 6502a
Hell, if I was in the market for a tablet, the Surface would be my top choice. I still don't get the fact that on the iPad, I can't have a Netflix video playing while replying to iMessages (two apps open on the same screen). The Surface can do that but the iPad is stuck in this 1980s "One App At A Time" idea.

Why on earth would you want to iMessage while watching a movie?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
That's because they didn't sell out. One could walk into their local Apple Store yesterday and readily buy a mini.

Congratulations on your unique teleporting abilities. Hey I left my keys in a hotel in New Mexico, and my wallet in Vancouver. Could you pop by and grab them? Thanks. Meet you in Manhattan.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Combing sales figures, rather than splitting them up, says they're trying to make the amount of sales of the iPad Mini or the iPad 4th generation look, or both, appear better than what they are. I'm not saying it's a "failure," which it isn't, but I think the sales of both were far below what Apple was expecting.

No. They are both apart of the "iPad" line. What is the point of separating them? That's just like separating the Nexus 7 and 10. Essentially, they are the same thing but different sizes.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I thought the same thing as well.

AppleInsider says the 16 GB version is the most popular. Considering it's the least expensive model, I can understand. However, I work in a school district that's considering going 1:1 with iPads. If we do go 1:1, regardless of whether we get the full sized or mini iPad, I hope we get at least 32 GB. The teachers like taking videos with them. Videos usually take up quite a bit of space. We had someone come in & do a presentation to the kids last week. Took a video of it on my iPhone. Just shy of an hour long and took over 7.5 GBs. Plus, with all the apps we have, 16 GB would fill up really quickly.

If you are in a classroom sitting with WiFi, you can just stream the videos to the iPad. Not sure about the WiFi bandwidth usage though.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
The iPad can do that but first, I'd like for you to explain the experience of watching a movie with half of an already split of the 9.7" screen covered by a keyboard while you type an iMessage...

The way Apple deals with the kind of multi-tasking that does work with 2 apps being actively used at the same time is that you can listen to music in the background as you browse the internet for example. With Netflix, you can in fact watch a movie while you iMessage. AirPlay takes care of that. You can play a movie in the Netflix app, AirPlay it to a screen that you can see without keyboards in the way and then switch to iMessage and your movie continues to play.

People who think your screen should be cluttered up with apps don't care about the user experience, and that's perfectly fine. There are plenty of other tablets for those people.

Oh, ok. The iPad can totally have multiple apps running on the same screen at the same time just like a laptop or surface! I just need to buy an Apple TV and a 50" LCD and pack them in my bag.

Considering I can write an email or watch a movie effectively on my iPhone's 3.5" screen, I think there could be a way to split the iPad's 9.7" screen when running two apps that wouldn't result in a terrible user experience. You disagree, but say that you disagree rather than pretend it's a feature that iPads have.

Last edited:

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
How can I use Airplay if I'm at an airport lounge? You would need a TV plus AppleTV.Valid point about the keyboard taking up room though. But that was one example...

How about browsing the web, and having an iTunes open (it would show list view of scroll able songs on the side). I like that instead of doing a gesture, getting out of Safari, go into iTunes, and going back.

If you're messing with the iTunes list, you're not doing anything on Safari anyway. I fail to see the problem. If I'm watching a movie on a mobile device, I'm not going to waste the battery by trying to do something else at the same time. I'd be ignoring the movie, making the multitasking pointless.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I was luckily able to grab a 32GB B&S at 3pm Friday. One store I called in the Vancouver area sold out, the other store in our area's biggest mall (Metrotown) had some left.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
why would you want the competition to fail, so apple can slack?

Nothing mentioned about wanting the competition to fail. The thing is, how can you tout how many you sold if you don't say how many you sold? Goes for Amazon too.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Hmmmm I really wish they would have broken it down between mini and full size. I would say though based on my visit to an Apple store on Saturday which was jam packed that its probably a 70% mini and 30% full size split.

imo this is exactly why they didnt split it. with the stock in freefall they dont want people to squeeze some kind of negativity out of it.

And its normal that the ipad 4 didnt do impressive numbers, its a suprise update. What Apple did is making sure the ipad 4 sales are going to continu to be strong. Did you saw the GLbenchmark? the ipad 4 is running circles around the nexus 10.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
..so, it's this a failure?

You must agree then that apple did miss the street target too.

heh heh... do you know what the street estimate was before you posted that reply? Do a little bit more reading will give you more informed opinion.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/03/how-many-ipad-minis-will-apple-sell-in-its-first-weekend/

Apple (AAPL), it seems, can't win the iPad mini expectations game. Take, for example, the sales estimates put forward by analysts for the first three days of sales:
Topeka Capital's Brian White: 800,000 to 1 million in first weekend
KGI Research's Ming-Chi Kuo: 952,000 manufactured before Friday's launch
Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster: 1 million to 1.5 million sold in first three days
BTIG's Walter Piecyk: Apple must sell 3 million in first weekend to demonstrate to Wall Street that there is adequate demand and that management can ramp up to meet it

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
I agree...some people just don't see the big picture.

Hell, if I was in the market for a tablet, the Surface would be my top choice. I still don't get the fact that on the iPad, I can't have a Netflix video playing while replying to iMessages (two apps open on the same screen). The Surface can do that but the iPad is stuck in this 1980s "One App At A Time" idea.

I hope Surface/Nexus' catch on so that Apple can truly innovate!

I always endorsed (as a consumer) Microsoft and other "Big boys" come up with very decent and competitive products. only this way can deliver us reasonable Apple products in good prices. (there is a reason for funboys to argue :D)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
3 million of anything is nothing to sneeze at, but their unwillingness to share iPad mini numbers is curious. As is Tim Cook's pronouncement that they "practically" sold out of iPad minis.

Most likely the reason is that the 4th gen iPad didn't sell as well given the many 3rd gen sales a few months agol. So if they reported mini's sold people could just subtract from the total.

Also they don't typically break down iPod sales numbers.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Boom.

I fully expected them to refuse to break down the numbers. They don't do it with iPhone, I don't expect it with mini. Still selling twice as many WiFi models as they did in March is really good -- especially with only a minor upgrade. My guess is that most of those sales were mini's. But iPad 4 is probably not doing bad.

To some degree, it doesn't matter. There will be people who wanted a small tablet and wouldn't consider a big one, then they look at the iPad Mini, then they look at the large iPads and suddenly prefer them. So the mini made a sale that isn't a mini.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Do we really need a break down? No.

Is the mini cannibalizing the larger iPad? I don't think so. I myself purchased 2 mini's. Was I planning in purchasing a larger iPad Nope! So there are two mini's that didn't take away sales from its larger counterpart. Many of the people I talked to in the stores also mentioned they are adding the mini to the rest of the iPads own. So from my experience many of the people I talked with wouldn't have purchased the newer iPad 4 but they did purchase the mini and it wasn't to replace the larger iPad it was to complement it. The smaller size defined makes it more portable for many people.
I for one still have my iPad 3 but for me the mini is used mailmy for work due to its more portable and the smaller size is fantastic in the cockpit. I use my iPads 6-8 hours a day for work and the mini replaces the iPad 3 in my work environment. Great little product and what a great size and screen. It must suck to have poor eyesight and need a retina display to use a device.
Love the mini and glad to see Apple selling lots of them.
#

or good eyesight and actually notice it...

Appleisntpefect

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
What iPad's still need

Competition is good for consumers.
The iPad and iOS still are lacking the key ability to do multiple things at the same time, as on a Mac. Until then they are not "post PC" replacements.

Also the iPad needs to have GPS built into ALL units such that they can be used with GPS aps.

And of course the mini needs retina and a faster processor.

Better cameras over the upgrades will always be good.

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the last couple of product launches by Apple have got me believing that they are intentionally not making enough of the products before they release them so they can say that they sold out of that product on launch weekend.

It's really getting out of hand. I don't see why they can't wait a few more weeks to get enough stock so that everyone who wants one can get one. You'd think they would have this figured out by now.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Makes you wonder if they've got the strategy a bit wrong charging so much more for increased capacity. Sounds like the higher capacity devices don't sell nearly so well (which matches my own anecdotal evidence), they might make more money selling more of them at a lower price.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.