Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you sell your iPad 3 for a mini?

• Yes and I love it! Who needs Retina?

Votes: 102 47.7%
  • Yes and I returned it for a iPad 4 or kept my 3.

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • No. I kept my 3.

Votes: 91 42.5%

• Total voters

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
I'm thinking of selling my iPad 3 and my wife's Nook for two iPad minis. If you sold your iPad 3 with Retina for an iPad mini, please tell me about your experience here? I am attracted to the portability, but didn't care for the screen (I have an iPhone 5 and rMBP in addition to the 3), but I connect my MBP to an external Playstation monitor when I'm home through HDMI, and I still like the monitor despite being non-retina. I also use my father's iPad 1 on occasion, and don't mind the screen. Was "downgrading" the screen a big tradeoff for you?

Sorry if this is a repeat thread.

Last edited:

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
I did it. The screen is definitely not as good as the 3, there's no doubt about that. You have to decide if that is the most important factor for you. If so, the mini is out. End of story.

For me, the iPad 3 was just heavy enough and bulky enough to make me end up using my 11" Air most of the time. Meaning the iPad was barely ever used and instead collected dust. Kind of pointless to have a $500 device that you barely use.

I can see myself using the mini a lot more just because of its size and weight. It's different enough from the Air that I might choose it in most situations.

Time will tell if that actually ends up happening.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I bought my iPad mini on Friday, used it for one day and then sold my iPad 3. I pondered briefly about keeping my 3 just for the screen but realised I'd never use it, the mini is small enough to chuck in almost any bag. Carrying my 3 anywhere meant using my MBA bag and if I'm using that I may as well just take the Air 11".

There's no denying the screen isn't as good but for me the trade off for smaller and lighter easily makes up for it.

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
I want to but so far no interest in my iPad 3.

When so, I'll buy a Mini. I feel it's a tad to much to buy one right now when I still have the iPad 3. Also, they're currently sold out (2 weeks online anyways)

I'd suggest the poll is to be changed. 'Who needs Retina?' is not a good one.

Make it:

Yes, the smaller size and form factor make up for the non Retina screen.
Yes, I haven't used a Retina iPad anyway.
No, Retina is more important than the form factor
No, I prefer total specifications and horsepower over formfactor.

Or something ;)

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
For me, the iPad 3 was just heavy enough and bulky enough to make me end up using my 11" Air most of the time. Meaning the iPad was barely ever used and instead collected dust. Kind of pointless to have a $500 device that you barely use.

It'd be interesting to see what percentage of mini owners are 11 inch Air owners too. My guess is it would be disproportionately high. I didn't have a problem with using (and carrying) the 3 until I got my Air. There's just too much overlap between the two devices for me.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
It'd be interesting to see what percentage of mini owners are 11 inch Air owners too. My guess is it would be disproportionately high. I didn't have a problem with using (and carrying) the 3 until I got my Air. There's just too much overlap between the two devices for me.

I thought that too when we basically posted the same thing. :) I originally debated and got the iPad instead of the Air, then got the Air anyways. That was probably the first sign that I made the wrong choice originally.

Guess Apple knows their market.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
flipped 3 for the mini, retina would be nice, but i can live with it until it comes out (no big deal for me)..

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I sold my iPad 3 for an iPad mini and couldn't be happier. Yes I'd like a Retina screen but it's hardly a deal breaker, the screen on the mini is great - just don't put it next to a Retina device!

Eventually the mini will have a Retina screen and all will be right in the world, until that day I'll be very very happy toting my new sexy black mini.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
I want to but so far no interest in my iPad 3.

When so, I'll buy a Mini. I feel it's a tad to much to buy one right now when I still have the iPad 3. Also, they're currently sold out (2 weeks online anyways)

I'd suggest the poll is to be changed. 'Who needs Retina?' is not a good one.

Make it:

Yes, the smaller size and form factor make up for the non Retina screen.
Yes, I haven't used a Retina iPad anyway.
No, Retina is more important than the form factor
No, I prefer total specifications and horsepower over formfactor.

Or something ;)

Thanks. I tried but couldn't seem to edit the poll. I made a grammar error I want to fix too.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I'm thinking of selling my iPad 3 and my wife's Nook for two iPad minis. If you sold your iPad 3 with Retina for an iPad mini, please tell me about your experience here? Was "downgrading" the screen a big tradeoff for you?
We did. I believed in all the iPad4 rumors so I sold both our iPads at maximum value and got two minis (even though I told the wife I was getting her an iPad4). Here's the results.

iPad2->Mini (Me)
+ Love the size. Acceptable performance.
- Disappointing internals. This is a 2013 shell filled with recycled parts from 2 generations ago.
- UI should have adjustments that cater to a 7" Tablet (safari text defaults small and cant be changed)

iPad3->Mini (Wife)
+ Nothing. Doesn't hate it, but doesn't love it.
- Lack of retina is VERY noticeable to her
- Feels her iPhone screen is easier to read than her iPad screen

Overall, the Mini is a solid product and we both like it enough to keep but this does feel like an interim product that will be replaced sooner than later. Also, I dont feel the lack of Retina is as big a deal as the OS simply not being customized to a smaller screen. Too many times I run into a UI element that clearly was intended for a big screen but seems awkward for a smaller tablet so I think improving this product is only a few tweaks away.

BTW. My wife does want a bigger Retina tablet instead but with the iPad4 being such a small update then she's hoping the iPad5 is still slated for mid-2013 so she's choosing to stick with the mini as long as could (but I doubt she lasts a month).

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I did - sold my 32GB 3 on Tuesday and picked up a 32GB Mini on Friday for the same amount of money..
It was clearly time to ditch the 3 as it's value was only going to drop more as 4's became the standard and used 3's continued to flood eBay and Craigslist.
I see a complete redesign of the big iPad coming in the 5 model next Fall. It will be lighter and thinner and who wouldn't want that? The mini is lighter, thinner and smaller now and that works for me. It does take some adjustment to get used to the screen but I find if I either just zoom in a bit or switch from portrait to landscape viewing the text improves considerably. Next Fall I will have my choice of which ever model has improved the most. I like upgrading every year and being part of that excitement. Since I usually sell my current model it doesn't cost that much so why not enjoy the game. I just laugh at the OCD's who argue endlessly about which is "best". I get what I like and you should too.
Embrace the impermanence of any piece of technology and ride the wave.

Last edited:

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I sold my 3 for a mini and I'm thrilled. The size and weight are amazing, this is what I've been wanting for many months. The lack of retina is disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I actually sold my 3 on here just last week and ordered my Mini LTE last week as well. I prefer the size and weight of the Mini. Not really hell bent on having retina so I can live without it until the next update. Hopefully Apple will ship out my Mini LTE next week so I can have it before me and my family leave for the holiday.

ChimpNamedEnid

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Bought a 32GB Mini on Friday night (got lucky and walked into an Apple store around 8pm and they had plenty).

I used it extensively over the weekend and after a few days, decided it was a keeper. Of course, I played with it a ton, as it's a new device, but the form factor is just perfect and it puts a check in all of the boxes for me.

I'll miss Retina, but it'll be here in no time!

goldbear86

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
That would of been my plan but after a day with the mini, I realised how much I hated the screen. Loved the weight but the screen is just not good enough.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Ugh.

Once again, this is about need.

If you prefer a smaller screen and your usage is in line with this, then you go for the mini.

If you need a larger screen, then you go for the refurb 3 or the new 4. Try reading Scientific American on the mini....not fun.

Also, typing on the mini is not easy (for me).

R

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
My wife has an iPad 2 w/ wifi and I've got an iPad 3 w/ Verizon LTE...I ordered a wifi Mini to try out while I wait for the LTE versions to be released, and after using it this weekend, my iPad 3 is now on eBay and I ordered a black Mini w/ Verizon LTE on it as well. I'll continue to use the wifi Mini until it's released, then the wife will get it and I'll sell her iPad 2. The size/weight/portability trump any lack of screen resolution as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it's not even close to as good as the retina iPad...like it looks really bad next to it, but if you're not doing side by side comparisons, it's not a big deal at all.

If I need the bigger screen, I've got my 13" Air that I can pull out. It'll actually give me more of a reason to use that machine anyway as it seems to be neglected when I get home from work and I'm not hooked up to my monitor at work. HAHA.

So to answer the poll, yes, I sold (or am selling) my iPad 3 to go strictly Mini.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
I did. I'm now ignoring the large iPad line and will be strictly buying iPad Mini's from now on.

You seem to have the same lineup as me (except I still have my 3). Does the retina bother you when you go back to the mini from your phone or computer?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Kept it. Going to the motorola xoom after using my iPad 3 is terrible enough.

I'll pass on the repackaged iPad 2. Went with a Nexus 7 instead and still kept my iPad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.