Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I've had my iPad mini for a day now, and I've never felt more like I'm living in the future than I do now. When the iPad originally came out a lot of people compared it to the PADD from Star Trek, but I think it's the mini that truly embodies the idea that was the PADD more than any other tablet so far.

I got the original iPad on launch day, and I've used it almost every day since. Still, most of the time I felt it was still too big to really be the grab and go device I wanted it to be. This probably wasn't helped by the fact that I've been using the Incase Convertable Book Jacket this entire time. That easily adds 3-4 inches to the thickness. Regardless, the iPad rarely left the house and was relegated to couch surfing and Netflix duties. I pretty much felt that if I was going to bring the iPad, I may as well just bring my laptop.

In contrast, the mini is every bit the unobtrusive device that you leave on your counter or desk until you need it. Then as you're heading out the door you just grab it and go. That was part of the appeal of the PADD to me. On the show it always looked light and comfortable to hold one handed. The full size iPad never lived up to that for me, which is why I never upgraded. Also, Siri has a lot of potential I think, and hopefully that will continue to improve.

What does everyone else think? I know the mini isn't the first tablet of this size, but we all know what a train wreck Android is on tablets, and the verdict is still out on Windows 8 RT I think. Also, can we try to leave the flame bait discussions of Retina out of this? I think it should be possible to discuss the merits of the form factor without that.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
iPad mini is the future, but not now.

Unless it has a retina display.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I've had my iPad mini for a day now, and I've never felt more like I'm living in the future than I do now. When the iPad originally came out a lot of people compared it to the PADD from Star Trek, but I think it's the mini that truly embodies the idea that was the PADD more than any other tablet so far.

I got the original iPad on launch day, and I've used it almost every day since. Still, most of the time I felt it was still too big to really be the grab and go device I wanted it to be. This probably wasn't helped by the fact that I've been using the Incase Convertable Book Jacket this entire time. That easily adds 3-4 inches to the thickness. Regardless, the iPad rarely left the house and was relegated to couch surfing and Netflix duties. I pretty much felt that if I was going to bring the iPad, I may as well just bring my laptop.

In contrast, the mini is every bit the unobtrusive device that you leave on your counter or desk until you need it. Then as you're heading out the door you just grab it and go. That was part of the appeal of the PADD to me. On the show it always looked light and comfortable to hold one handed. The full size iPad never lived up to that for me, which is why I never upgraded. Also, Siri has a lot of potential I think, and hopefully that will continue to improve.

What does everyone else think? I know the mini isn't the first tablet of this size, but we all know what a train wreck Android is on tablets, and the verdict is still out on Windows 8 RT I think. Also, can we try to leave the flame bait discussions of Retina out of this? I think it should be possible to discuss the merits of the form factor without that.

I think what you described is the role that the iPhone is supposed to fill. Having two of such devices when youre on the go is duplication for me, and the way you use your original ipad fills the role that the ipad was designed to fill. Except that with the 4, the retina display, a6, thinner design and Smart Cover, I'm willing to take the ipad with me instead of my 15" laptop when I travel

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I think this form factor is indeed the future. I took my iPad with me once that I can remember and after having to carry it around all day I decided I didn't like the weight... My son bought me a kindle fire that I've taken on the road because it was smaller, not because I'm a huge fan of the device. And even though surfing the web on the Fire is not ideal for me, at least it was lighter. I can see myself packing the mini into my purse when I'm out for the day. I'm seriously thinking about selling my iPad 3 now. Will be exciting to see what Apple does with device in the future.

----------

I think what you described is the role that the iPhone is supposed to fill. Having two of such devices when youre on the go is duplication for me, and the way you use your original ipad fills the role that the ipad was designed to fill. Except that with the 4, the retina display, a6, thinner design and Smart Cover, I'm willing to take the ipad with me instead of my 15" laptop when I travel

Of course you are probably correct about the iPhone and what the original iPad was designed for. Sadly all I have is a dumb texting phone so the mini will have to do.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
The mini is not Apple's future. The iPad size is going to always sell in larger numbers than the mini.

You need to wait a few more days and come down from your euphoric high of your mini purchase. It only took me 24 hours and mine is back in the box, ready to go back to apple. The need for a smaller units is not so strong for me that imam willing to sacrifice screen quality and keyboard real estate. It is not even close.

It might be YOUR future but not mine!

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Mini might become the next BIG thing at Apple.
I recall when ipod nano really made Apple big, i bought like 2 of them for my kids, still going strong after all these years. And after that we bought iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4S, iPad (three of them) and now I am thinking about macbook air. Mini very well may become such entry point into apple system just like nano did, because its cheapest among all Apple iOS devices (excluding iPod touch).

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO

I think there's a difference between being on the go with an iPhone and being on the go with an iPad. I use my iPhone constantly. It was my go to device all the time, even when my first gen iPad was just across the room. I always felt holding the iPad was cumbersome. Looking back, I always got the most use out of it when it was propped up in some fashion, which is why I had that massive case. If I needed to respond to a work email after hours, even something that was a couple of paragraphs, I preferred to thumb type on my iPhone, not set my iPad down and type on its keyboard the more traditional way. In fact, even if I was holding my iPad in my hands when an email came in, I still preferred responding on the iPhone.

The mini is changing that dynamic for me. You're right in that it the new gadget lust may have something to do with it, but I think there's more to it than that. At least for me. Responding to an email while sitting on the couch is not cumbersome at all on the mini. And I know I'll be more willing to take it outside the house not just because of its smaller size is more portable, but because I know I'll be able to use it for more tasks once I get to where I'm going because of that lack of cumbersome feeling when holding it.

For me it really comes down to which device am I more comfortable using while holding it. If it needs to be propped up, then its utility is diminished. This is why I wanted a tablet to begin with, to have a computer that was easy to hold and use at the same time. I never found myself doing that with the iPad.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I also love mine. Being able to fit into a coat pocket was important, that's why I never purchased an iPad. It seemed it would be a waste of money if I couldn't carry it around with me everywhere.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I absolutely love mine as well. Its way more tablet and totable than I expected it to be. I just love this thing.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Eventually, the Mini will start to outsell the 9.7" iPad. The mini specs will never be better than the bigger one but it'll outsell it in due time.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Different people have different needs.

We took a look at them again while we were at Best Buy yesterday.

My wife has an ipad 2 and has zero interest in the Mini. I thought she'd love the form factor, but she didn't. She thought her phone was fine for times she needed something on the go.

My 15 year old daughter LOVED it. She has an iPhone 4 (free on contract) and a two year old 32 gig 4th gen iPod Touch. She didn't care about the display one bit. She'd ditch the iPod Touch and it would likely become her primary device....especially if she could tether it with her phone to use on the go.

I want a better display....so I'm holding out for the Mini 2.

There is no 'perfect' form factor. If anything, this disproves Steve's original assertion that 9.7 was the optimal tablet size and anything smaller would be "DOA."

Last edited:

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Anyone try the Star Trek PADD app on the mini yet?

It's pretty cool, too bad it doesn't work in portrait mode.

I'd been watching DS9 via Amazon Prime, as well as some TNG on cable. It was nagging at me watching them using the PADDs, making me want that size even more than I already did. I'm extremely happy to finally have an iPad mini.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What does everyone else think?
It's a matter of preference. One size does not fit all. It's great that the Mini suits you so well but you can't derive broad, sweeping generlizations like "iPad Mini is the future" simply based on your preference or even on the preferences of you and other MacRumors users. Niches exist to fill different needs/wants. Not everyone's going to need/want exactly the same thing.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Apple is offering nothing more except another choice. Apple is down to about 50% of tablet sales and the mini was a smart move for those who wanted a smaller device. Getting it out before the holiday season, priceless.:p

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
When the next one is out with Retina+A6+1gb people are gonna freak.

I wonder how long it will be before people start asking to buy my mini when I upgrade. The last time I upgraded I already had someone calling dibs on buying it whenever I upgraded again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.