Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
I didn't say it's a failure. I just said they didn't sell out. One can easily obtain a Mini today by just walking into the store and buying one, which I don't think can be said of the iPhone 5.

JC unreal. On what planet are you living in? they sold out in less than 2 hours pretty much everywhere.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
and I still can't figure out how to manage my iphone from my iPad. I can't figure out how to plug my phone into my ipad and sync all of my music from iTunes on my iPad onto my phone. Can you help me?

You sound like an Android user, searching for the solution of a problem, when iOS users don't even have the problem anymore.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Hmm. The iPad starts at $499 and the mini at $329.

The iPhone starts at $199.

Do you see a difference? The iPhone is a lot cheaper, so it will probably sell more!

Not only that, but I think most people would view the iPhone 5 as a "must" and the iPad/mini as a luxury. Of course no one HAS to have the iPhone 5, but I'm saying a smartphone is the "norm" now. We carry our phones pretty much 24/7, for communication, etc. So we sort of view it as a requirement.

On the other hand, I don't carry my iPad with me all the time, so I see it more as a luxury item.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
A computer generally has a bigger than 9.7" screen that doesn't require that half the screen be occupied by an on screen keyboard.

I can think of very few reasons to have multiple apps on screen at the same time but I'm willing to hear yours and discuss. In practice, having multiple apps open at once almost never involves having both apps visible at the same time. Even on a computer, how many apps do you run side by side?
The resolution of even the iPad Mini is comparable to display resolutions that were extremely common before and remain in use, and the iPad/Nexus 10/etc tablets have resolutions which exceed most computer displays, so I'd argue that the sorts of things you'd have up simultaneously on a desktop would be the sorts of things you could have up simultaneously on a tablet. On a smaller tablet, most people wouldn't want as much visible because it would be "too small", granted, but a full-size tablet easily has the screen real estate.

Examples: I want to compose an email while monitoring Forum Spy. I want compare how screens load in different browsers. I want to keep an eye on the weather while I watch CNN. I want to remote desktop into a system while looking at email/files/a browser. I want to videochat while looking at email/files/a browser/a remote desktop. I want a calculator up while I'm in another app. I want a dedicated space for notifications instead of having the damned things intrude on everything at the least convenient time. I want to have a navigation map up while surfing for info about an area (obviously, not while driving). I want to be able to drag images from one app into another.

These are some examples. I'm sure there are many more. I only very, very rarely use full-screen mode for an app while on a desktop/laptop, and that's only because it's so easy to swipe between them.

As far as keyboards using up space: that's why I often use a BT one.

I am not saying that most iOS apps tend to be ones people would want to have on only part of their screens, but I'd like the option, primarily for browsers, email, video, and chatting.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
While being able to multitask like that can be useful, I also find that it could be a distraction. As I've said in a number of threads, I work at a school. It's difficult to keep kids on task when they could text or watch videos when they're supposed to be writing. Fortunately, with iOS, you can set iPads to only one app.

There have been a few studies now showing how multi-tasking stops you from learning (most important in schools). And from doing anything properly (important for everyone else).

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The iPad can do that but first, I'd like for you to explain the experience of watching a movie with half of an already split of the 9.7" screen covered by a keyboard while you type an iMessage...

The way Apple deals with the kind of multi-tasking that does work with 2 apps being actively used at the same time is that you can listen to music in the background as you browse the internet for example. With Netflix, you can in fact watch a movie while you iMessage. AirPlay takes care of that. You can play a movie in the Netflix app, AirPlay it to a screen that you can see without keyboards in the way and then switch to iMessage and your movie continues to play.

People who think your screen should be cluttered up with apps don't care about the user experience, and that's perfectly fine. There are plenty of other tablets for those people.

There is certainly room for improvement with respect to multitasking and the iPad.

This is not true multitasking either, but nonetheless an improvement.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/30/quasar-untabbed-windows-app-ipad-jailbreak/

The now essentially defunct Backgrounder tweak could do legitimate multitasking.

Imessage while watching a movie is a particularly tough example, but there are many cases where multitasking has a place in iOS. Having both mail and safari visible at the same time could be beneficial to many people I would wager.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Why on earth would you want to iMessage while watching a movie?

A movie I've seen a million times just to pass the time at the airport? Yeah, that's why. If you've never texted/wrote an email while watching a TV show, you're a minority. You act like people never multitask.

Nice try though.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
There's gotta be alot of people like myself waiting for the LTE version as well.

jhende7

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Oh, ok. The iPad can totally have multiple apps running on the same screen at the same time just like a laptop or surface! I just need to buy an Apple TV and a 50" LCD and pack them in my bag.

Hey Dude. How about instead of being sarcastic, you answer us this. How can I watch a video, have iMessages open and have half the screen taken up by keyboard, and the whole thing not look like a clusterduck?

The iPad isn't meant to be or imitate a computer, its a tablet! It's just too easy to bash a product by naming a bunch of impractical features it "doesn't have".

Let me try....

My Printer sucks because it doesn't microwave my food.
I can't stand my TV because it won't fit in my briefcase.
I need a new vacuum because my current one doesn't have enough seating to take my kids and their friends to soccer practice.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
There is certainly room for improvement with respect to multitasking and the iPad.

Except that multitasking on the iPad does exactly what Apple wants it to do. No less, no more. It does exactly enough to make it useful, and stops where it starts eating battery life and distracting users. Obviously the concept that fewer visible features are actually better is totally foreign to any Android user.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Oh, is that free?

Its not because you could match every freaking pirated mp3 you downloaded. Its a way for the studios to get some $ back from pirating. I know it sucks if you are clean and only want to match CD's, but unfortunatly we dont live in Pleasantville.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hmm. The iPad starts at $499 and the mini at $329.

The iPhone starts at $199.

Do you see a difference? The iPhone is a lot cheaper, so it will probably sell more!
Yes, but those are initial costs, although I grant that many people don't look at overall costs.

The cost of using an iPhone exceeds the cost of even the most expensive iPad in a fairly short period of time.

As noted above, people see smartphones as more of a need, but they are not, in fact, cheaper.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Except that multitasking on the iPad does exactly what Apple wants it to do. No less, no more. It does exactly enough to make it useful, and stops where it starts eating battery life and distracting users. Obviously the concept that fewer visible features are actually better is totally foreign to any Android user.

indeed. But Android users are spec freaks. It doesnt matter if the ipad mini and ipad 4 beats the crap out of the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 on GLbenchmark, but... but... the Nexus have better specs... but... but... what about Geekbench... exactly, geekbench is for just that, geeks.

In case some geeks are reading this I will put in terms then can understand. The ipad is a PC with an intel I5 and an nvidia GTX 680 and the nexus is a PC with a intel I7 and an nvidia 650. Since on tablets there are basictly no apps who needs CPU compare to GPU, the Nexus tablets are just wasting specs. In the real world the ipads run apps faster, especially games.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

Did you watch the quasar video? How is that not useful?

blackboyfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
color

alls i kno is if u buy one get the white in the mini if u can why much nicer than the black buy far screen dosent look as bluured in my opion

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
These are only Wi-Fi devices, LTE/UMTS-devices will be released at the end of the month.

So if you would compare these numbers to those of the "new" iPad in march, you would be comparing a release with both Wi-Fi and LTE-models to a release of the Wi-Fi models only.

At the end of this month, all those who want to replace their older "carry it everywhere"-iPad with a smaller iPad Mini, will buy the LTE model.

So we have at least 2 million sold iPad Mini now and another million (or more) for the LTE model at the end of this month (+ whatever the iPad Mini Wi-Fi sells in the meantime).

It took Google 4 months to reach 3 million Nexus 7 sold, while it will take Apple something between a weekend and a month.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

That doesn't stop Apple for allowing two apps open at the same time on their MacBooks, battery-life and all. "Distracting Users" seems like a personal problem; Apple allows music to be played in the background of iOS, which is easily "distracting" from doing whatever (your logic is flawed).

People who are happy with the status-quo scare me. There is always room for improvement.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
What I can't figure out is how Apple decided to create a size to compete with dedicated e-readers and make it the only size that doesn't have retina display.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
You sound like an Android user, searching for the solution of a problem, when iOS users don't even have the problem anymore.

heh heh, Can I jump in and ask what does multi-tasking on IOS and Android has anything to do with Apple sold 3M Mini+Ipad 4 s?

On topic: Apple sold 17M ipad 2+Ipad 3 in 2Q12 and 14M of Ipad 2+Ipad 3 in 3Q12. Given the 3M is wifi only number this weekend, I would guess we can see a 25-30M Ipad 2+Ipad 3+ Ipad mini sales quarter in 1Q13 (the first full quarter with Ipad mini and Ipad 4 wifi+cell). And that will be a big deal since PC sales worldwide is only 87M units in 3Q12 according to IDC..

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23730212

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
JC unreal. On what planet are you living in? they sold out in less than 2 hours pretty much everywhere.

I live in Montgomery County Maryland. Based on the median income people have here, the mini would be considered a disposable item. Both stores in Bethesda had plenty on hand as of Sunday morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.