Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyphz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
So, I have a 2010 MacBook Air which came with a 256gb SSD. On "available" space on Get Info, it lists 250gb available. Now, OK, I know that typically this value is not identical to the sold size of the drive. But my rather elderly MacBook Pro, with a 320gb HD, still lists 319.21gb available.

So does that mean that 6gb of my SSD cells have already rotted, in spite of the machine not being used all that much? If so that's... worrying!

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
You do realize the operating takes space your disk, right? Didn't you notice all those programs pre-installed on your Mac when you got it. They take space. Nothing is 'rotted'.

hyphz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for your replies.

Mfram, I'm looking at the total size of the disk in Get Info, not the amount of free space.

Msjones, I'm aware of filesystem overhead, but both the MBP and the MBA are running HFS+ filesystems under Mountain Lion so it seems a bit strange that the MBP should have 0.79gb of filesystem overhead while the MBA has 6gb worth.

Is there a recovery partition installed when a system is shipped with Mountain Lion? Could that be it?

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Perfectly normal. I have a 2012 MacBook Air with a 256GB SSD that reports the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.