Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Can't believe all the congratulatory posts. Apple is not only being childish here, but they are consistantly trying to subvert the court of law in a place where they do business. If Samsung were doing something similar, would there be all this back patting?

To me, Apple's use of loopholes and their general dishonesty in this instance is reshaping how I feel about some of their absurd patent claims, tax avoidance practices, and use of hard labor.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Why not just take it like a champ? All this mess just seems immature to me.

This is business. They don't agree with the decision, don't want to waste very valuable home page space on it, and don't want to comply with the order any more than is absolutely necessary. It's about money, not "maturity."

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
it's been always that way, even with the old ruling posting.
plenty of their other sites behave the same since a long time :

- Australia
- India
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Singapore
- etc... etc... etc...

i dont get whats the deal in this ?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Although it may be funny, if Apple continues to piss that Judge off he could stop playing nice. Where they placed it is legit but we all know what Apple is doing.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
r-m said:
Could you (or anyone) post screenshots of both so us small screeners can see it?

Here you go:

Apple.com
bydefault20121105at1139.jpg

Apple.co.uk
bydefault20121105at1139.jpg

Barely any difference, but the UK site definitely resizes the images, and aligns the four images/links along the bottom so you can't see anything underneath them without scrolling.

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
Well the judge ruled on something for being "not as cool" this is not the sanest judge. Apple already got reprimanded by him for their first "apology" and now this? I sure as hell wouldn't be acting like a baby and trying to circumvent orders in front of volatile judge in a country that AFAIK has no limitations on contempt charges.

Also apples a big baby, it's kinda funny and sad how many people are like "yay apple" over this.

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Ridiculous noob tech bloggers over there at TNW just looking for a reason. That "code" has been there for a long time, it has nothing to do with the ruling or the apology. It's called responsive web design; how would you like it if you landed on a page with an image twice the size of your screen - you wouldn't.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Could you (or anyone) post screenshots of both so us small screeners can see it?

Try this: start with a windowed screen (not full screen). Go to apple.co.uk. Drag the bottom of the window down, and note what happens to the iPad Mini ad (it gets bigger). Then do the same thing on apple.com.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I found the court order to be childish. I don't think forcing people to scroll to see this disclaimer is childish at all. I would've done the same thing.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Can't believe all the congratulatory posts. Apple is not only being childish here, but they are consistantly trying to subvert the court of law in a place where they do business. If Samsung were doing something similar, would there be all this back patting?

To me, Apple's use of loopholes and their general dishonesty in this instance is reshaping how I feel about some of their absurd patent claims, tax avoidance practices, and use of hard labor.

Did you read the ruling? The ruling is ridiculous of course Apple is responding in kind.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Shame Apple are acting like a little school boy, they should man up and accept they were found guilty, but then this is Apple the bully.

What do you mean man up? They don't have to do something they don't have to. This ISN'T high school.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008

Basically it is like a responsive website.

The main US website is static. You enlarge the browser larger than the size of the fixed website and you can see the entire website top to bottom.

On the UK website, the images and website respond to the size of the browser. You can enlarge it as much as you want and the image stretches filling the browser so you do not quite see the bottom of the website.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Apple is becoming like a late 90s Microsoft, only with a teenager's attitude.

Really sad.

Apple isn't "becoming" anything. It has always loved to mess with lawyers.

The most humorous example is when Carl Sagan sued Apple for using his name as a codename. Apple changed it to BHA (butthead astronomer.) Sagan lost but Apple changed it to LAW (lawyers are wimps.)

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Imagine if tobacco companies had tried this... or hidden the health warnings somewhere...

mrobit

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Your screen is not big enough to notice the difference.

No, the screen size doesn't matter. It's responsive, so the size is going to change no matter what in order to cause that statement to stay below the fold of the page.

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
For an arrow down, suggest Apple are behaving like overgrown schoolchildren; for an arrow up, suggest they might be applying a modicum of much-deserved corporate wit.

ActionJax

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
This is a lesson: the risk of being all litigious all the time is an Arial apology.

Keep it up and you might get Batang.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.