Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I am thinking about ditching the 4 for a mini. The size is one of the reasons. I will miss the retina and speed but very time I see the old iPad I think it looks soon big. Lol.

Anyone else done this.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
Why not put your trousers on your head too and your socks on your hands. Makes as much sense to me. Or maybe you're a dwarf and its an excellent decision. Snow White will be very happy.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Mini is a winner in my book.

Issue was the iPad and the 11 inch Air was just to close for me, so I'll roll with the mini, 11 inch MBA, and the 15 rmbp.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I went from a 3 to a mini and I am absolutely loving it.

The display is noticeably worse, but for me the portability makes up for it.

When the mini gets a retina display I will be first in line :)

Candykwan

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I'm sticking with the 4gen. Cuz If I want small i have a phone for that and for reading, the bigger screen is more compatible with textbooks, pdf, pp slides, etc than the mini

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I am thinking about ditching the 4 for a mini. The size is one of the reasons. I will miss the retina and speed but very time I see the old iPad I think it looks soon big. Lol.

Anyone else done this.

You will regret it I think! I love my iPad 4 because the screen is gorgeous, I can watch 1080p HD videos and see people's pores on their faces even. Stellar screen and the best for performance.

I strongly urge you to first try out the Mini in the store and bring your iPad 4 with you! Compare them before making a decision

Good luck :)

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I honestly don't know how people can judge one against the other based on THEIR needs.

These are two DIFFERENT devices. If you need the larger screen, stay with the 4...if you want a smaller screen, go for the mini.

I need to review large PDFs, and I also like to type on the larger screen. For me the mini is not even a remote possibility.

Get what you need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Worst Decision Ever...

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. Yesterday while watching football I used my mini to play GTA 3 and Modern Combat 3. It was very easy to hold in landscape and play for as long as I wanted. The normal iPad is too big to do this for an extended period of time. The iPhone is too small IMO to play games like this easily. The mini is perfect. It's small and light enough to hold while you play and it's big enough so that you can enjoy larger games like these.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
My mini lasted a day before I traded up to the iPad 4. I liked the form factor, but my 45 year old eyes couldn't handle the text size, yet I have no issues with my iPhone 5.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Checked out the mini, bought the mini, put the 3 on ebay. Size and weight of the mini are just perfect.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
These devices may be in the same family, but they are fundamentally different.

The iPad's primary feature is the retina screen. It is nothing less than glorious. Everything else about the iPad is a compromise in order to support that screen: it got thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 and the battery takes much longer to charge.

The iPad's Mini's primary feature is its light weight and handy size. It's thin, weighs like nothing, and it's SUPER handy. The compromise here is the screen, which is non-retina and has visible pixels.

All you have to do is decide which is more important. Retina or lightweight and handy.

The choice was pretty easy for me, but unlike others, I'm not going to tell you my choice or try to swing you one way. My preferences are mine and not necessarily your preferences.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
sold 3 to get a mini and a 4

I went from a 3 to a mini and I am absolutely loving it.

The display is noticeably worse, but for me the portability makes up for it.

When the mini gets a retina display I will be first in line :)
I sold my 3 and got a mini. I love it, but I still want the 4. I will give the wife the mini when the one with ret. display and with a stand-alone GPS comes out next time. I don't think that there will me much more to the 4 that I would want or need. It sits on my desk or on my lap so I small reduction in weight or better camera won't make me want to change it that soon.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
I think it depends on what you want to do with it. Yesterday while watching football I used my mini to play GTA 3 and Modern Combat 3. It was very easy to hold in landscape and play for as long as I wanted. The normal iPad is too big to do this for an extended period of time. The iPhone is too small IMO to play games like this easily. The mini is perfect. It's small and light enough to hold while you play and it's big enough so that you can enjoy larger games like these.

Ill actually agree with you on that. The size, the form, the weight of the mini are a 100% win for me. I probably could have even gotten used to the screen.

What killed it for me was the fact I was paying for 2 generation old tech. Tech that I didn't buy when it came out to replace my ipad 1 and tech that today, almost 2 years later, I don't feel belongs in the latest and greatest product.

We all know why Apple does what they do and next year when the Mini with Retina comes out, I'll likely buy one.

What I'll look forward to more is when the design of the full size iPad is like the mini. Smaller bezel, less tapered back, metal volume and lock buttons.

Now that will be a slick looking machine.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
These devices may be in the same family, but they are fundamentally different.

The iPad's primary feature is the retina screen. It is nothing less than glorious. Everything else about the iPad is a compromise in order to support that screen: it got thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 and the battery takes much longer to charge.

The iPad's Mini's primary feature is its light weight and handy size. It's thin, weighs like nothing, and it's SUPER handy. The compromise here is the screen, which is non-retina and has visible pixels.

All you have to do is decide which is more important. Retina or lightweight and handy.

The choice was pretty easy for me, but unlike others, I'm not going to tell you my choice or try to swing you one way. My preferences are mine and not necessarily your preferences.

this is one of the best post I have read in recent days. It totally depends on how you are using the device. If you take it out of the house, the mini is probably best....if you mostly use it at home or as a laptop substitute the 4 is better.

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I don't miss the retina on my ipad 3, yes the mini is not retina but either is my MacBook Air. Try it only you can decide.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
What I'll look forward to more is when the design of the full size iPad is like the mini. Smaller bezel, less tapered back, metal volume and lock buttons.

Now that will be a slick looking machine.

I second this!!! I'll give my 4 to my wife or sell it, and get the iPad 5 or Retina Mini.

Apple is a smart company. They are the masters of tradeoffs and forcing comsumers to settle...

iPad mini = perfect size, tradeoff = screen
iPad 4= beautiful screen/performance, tradeoff = size

You can always buy a different companies product, but none are as svelte IMHO.

The next gen iPads should be near perfect, just as the iPhone 5 is.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I went from an iPad 2 to the Mini. Best decision ever IMO. Not so sure I would sacrifice a 4 to a Mini though.

I also went from the iPad 2'to the mini. I played with the iPad 4 in the store and almost bought the 4 instead of the mini but after doing a side-by-side between the 2 the iPad 4 just wasn't better enough to justify the added weight and size. I bought the mini and am very happy.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008

I agree. My wife and I decided to replace our aging iPad 1's, so we went to Best Buy yesterday to check out the new iPads. We loved the light weight and form factor of the Mini, but the Retina display on the 4 blew us away. We love to read e-magazines and look at photos on our iPads, and we've never found the full-size iPad to be too heavy or uncomfortable to hold, so we weren't specifically wanting something smaller and lighter. Also, we figure that the 4's A6 processor might give it an extra year of useful life over the Mini. When it's time to upgrade next, though, we might opt for the Retina Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.