Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giwrgosae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Hello!
i have a macbook 13" 2011 model and a friend tell me that there is a text file somewhere inside that keeps(save's) everything i type in mac such texts, links, e-mails even passwords!
do you know where is this text file? i can't find it :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello!
i have a macbook 13" 2011 model and a friend tell me that there is a text file somewhere inside that keeps(save's) everything i type in mac such texts, links, e-mails even passwords!
Your friend lied to you.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hello!
Much of that, to some extent, is retained by your browser (and can be cleared and/or set to not be retained), and passwords and the like are often similarly retained system-wide and can be viewed/edited via the Keychain Access app.

Still, that's very different that a text file that retains everything you type, which would only be the case if someone installed a key logger on your system.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
are you sure? He told me that this file exist and once he find it randomly in my laptop but now he cannot remember where it was.
I'm absolutely certain. Such claims are made by uninformed or misinformed people, frequently in an attempt to scare unaware Mac users. There is no truth to your friend's claim. Read jsw's explanation. There is no such text file in OS X that stores everything you type. The only way a keylogger could be on your system is if you installed it yourself, or gave someone else access to your computer to install it.

giwrgosae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Thank you both of you guys for your time to help me! your answers was really helpful :) thanks again! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.