Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
What if the $329 7.9" Mini came first? Would you be dreaming of a bigger model still? Would a $499 starting point for a 9.7" Retina feel too expensive?

Ever since the iPads introduction in 2010 we've been told that 9.7" is the perfect screen size and many out here have preached that as gospel. But now that we've gotten a chance to use the iPad Mini in the real world then i'm curious if anyones opinions have changed.

I'm not putting down the 9.7" iPad at all because I still like it, but if we were all trained to use 7" tablets from the start then I wonder if any of us would be as eager to invest in a bigger and more powerful one or if we'd dismiss it as a "pro model" that isn't meant for us.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Very hard to say. As I said in another thread I started last night, I dropped by an Apple store to play with a mini, and felt that the size is awkward to hold. But that may be because I've gotten used to the 9.7 size so if the 7.9 had come first, who knows?

An interesting comparison might be the Kindle and Kindle DX. Amazon came out first with the Kindle, then later came out with the larger DX. But my guess is the DX didn't sell well, because Amazon eventually discontinued that size.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
It would all depend on what steve jobs said on stage :rolleyes:

But i think people do like a bigger screen but hate the weight of 10 inch tabs

I admit when i first picked up an ipad 2 i wasn't offended by the weight i think its right on the limit of max weight for a tablet . Ipad 3 however was like a brick my friend also had one of those fancy covers which must have added a bit but it felt intrusively heavy compared to the ipad 2.

Lighter weight 10inch tabs i think are the best experience the smaller ones are a compromise between the functions and weight/portability of a full size tablet.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Absolutely, MANY people would ... a larger screen would be the 'best thing ever' :eek:

The iPad intro has been odd though ... in most everything bigger screen comes after smaller ones, not vice versa...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'll be honest - I was one of those people who thought 9.7" was the sweet spot. However, I now think its the aspect ratio that makes the iPad so much more ergonomic than widescreen tablets (particularly in portrait mode), and the 7.9" screen is so much more portable that I prefer it to the "full sized" screen of the original iPad

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
If the ipad mini had retina, maybe. I don't see how people are so weak to say that the ipad feels like a brick in your hand. They should spend less time on the Internet and more lifting things.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Yes, absolutely.

I only wish Apple had not clung to their conservative thinking, choosing to wait and wait and wait before entering the mid sized 7" +/- category.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Nope.

I ended up buying two android 7" tablets because apple didn't offer one.

I always felt the 7" would be the perfect size for me.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I think most wouldn't, which is good Apple released a larger ipad first. They made billions by keeping their tablet and smartphone products separate, but if you merge the two you get an iPad Mini with wifi+cellular. I'm pulling for this convergence so high priced phone contracts become a thing of the past.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I love the extra screen real estate of the 9.7 but love the portability of the 7.9. I don't think that a perfect product is possible, but both sets of compromises make sense to me.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Need a 14" iPad - I felt the original iPad was too small...

Everyone has "tent pole" reasons for buying an iPad - the non-luxury, killer apps that justify the purchase. For me, it's being a pro grade eReader for reading technical papers and websites. For my use, a non-retina iPad was already an impossibility. The Retina iPad is useable, but I hate having to squint and hold it up to my eyes because it squeezes what's normally a full sized page onto a half of a page.

What I want more than anything is a 14" diagonal iPad Pro. The size of a single sheet of paper. The weight of a pad of paper. Then I can read all my technical stuff at WYSIWYG size and not strain my eyes. It also makes web browsing a lot easier, and magazine reading more fun. And think of the enhanced ability to use content creation software.

While I agree that you don't want something you hold all the time to be *heavier*, as far as portability and size goes, for me, an iPad the size of a piece of paper (14") is no less portable than a 10" iPad. To me, the 10" iPad was simply smaller to reduce cost - not because it's better in any other way. Steve Jobs himself said 10" is the SMALLEST the iPad should be, not the biggest.

So while I'll easily settle for an iPad4, it won't be my final "iPad" - I really still need one with a bigger screen.

Oh, because it's relevant to the thread, I'd probably be willing to pay $1,200 for a 14" iPad Pro. It's actually worth more than that to me, probably about $2,500, but I'm poor now and so can't really save up that much. But I'd rate the value of a larger iPad for me to be a little higher than that of a Macbook Pro.

Last edited:

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
The way I see it, is if I was rich enough to afford a 7.9" it would go like this:
I would have a 9.7" iPad is a "home" iPad. Something with several accounts for like a Man, Wife and maybe child.
The 7.9" iPad would be a personal iPad that would not leave my bag for trips and work etc.
Essentially the iPad mini would be a more advanced kindle. Something I wouldn't use much unless I was travelling.
Almost like a home computer and laptop idea. But a home computer that can move around like a laptop. Hah.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Everyone has "tent pole" reasons for buying an iPad - the non-luxury, killer apps that justify the purchase. For me, it's being a pro grade eReader for reading technical papers and websites. For my use, a non-retina iPad was already an impossibility. The Retina iPad is useable, but I hate having to squint and hold it up to my eyes because it squeezes what's normally a full sized page onto a half of a page.

What I want more than anything is a 14" diagonal iPad Pro. The size of a single sheet of paper. The weight of a pad of paper. Then I can read all my technical stuff at WYSIWYG size and not strain my eyes. It also makes web browsing a lot easier, and magazine reading more fun. And think of the enhanced ability to use content creation software.

While I agree that you don't want something you hold all the time to be *heavier*, as far as portability and size goes, for me, an iPad the size of a piece of paper (14") is no less portable than a 10" iPad. To me, the 10" iPad was simply smaller to reduce cost - not because it's better in any other way. Steve Jobs himself said 10" is the SMALLEST the iPad should be, not the biggest.

So while I'll easily settle for an iPad4, it won't be my final "iPad" - I really still need one with a bigger screen.

Hmm... I might go for a 13" or 14" retina tablet with stylus.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
The way I see it, is if I was rich enough to afford a 7.9" it would go like this:
I would have a 9.7" iPad is a "home" iPad. Something with several accounts for like a Man, Wife and maybe child.
The 7.9" iPad would be a personal iPad that would not leave my bag for trips and work etc.
Essentially the iPad mini would be a more advanced kindle. Something I wouldn't use much unless I was travelling.
Almost like a home computer and laptop idea. But a home computer that can move around like a laptop. Hah.

I think this says what I think better than I did. It's kind of like the 9.7 is a 'desktop' iPad while the 7.9 is a 'laptop' iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.