Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I would seriously hope that Apple wouldn't block a Google Maps app. If Apple was willing to match the functionality of Google Maps (i.e. TRANSIT), I'd be alright with the decision, although not exactly pleased. But they're not. Apple Maps has worked fine for me for driving directions, but doesn't do a bit of good as far as transit directions go, and there's no app that provides anywhere near the transit coverage as Google did. I've used the web based app and it just doesn't cut it compared to what I had in iOS 5.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
What do you mean, poor Google? Poor US! the USERS! Who would be stuck with a single solution, Apple Maps, which is missing _a lot_ of data, lacks street view, and doesn't have an equivalent desktop solution to sync data to.

Having said that, I bet Apple approves the app, just like they did approve chrome, and just like they approved other map apps which are present in the App Store. I don't understand why they point to existing map apps to say that it is unlikely theirs will be approved!

im pretty sure he was joking

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
While Apple may not want to release it, I feel like this whole story is too high-profile at this point. I doubt they can risk the backlash on a story that's already been mainstream news.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
Apple would on seriously shaky legal ground if they denied Google Maps while allowing MapQuest and others in the AppStore. It's an all or nothing thing.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
We'll just have to wait and see, but I'd bet Apple approves it.

There's too much PR visibility on this issue to not do it and have it turn into a brand damaging PR mess (again) - and the other side of it is Apple has little to loose doing so...Apple's App is good (where it works) and will only get better and is also wired into the OS for use by other Apps no matter whether a user picks the Google Map App or not.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
I'm not the kind to quickly leave a company, but this would 100% convince me to switch to Android.

My contract just ended, so it would be the perfect excuse to leave.

It's one thing to lock us in your ecosystem Apple, it's another to provide ****** products and no alternatives. If we're going to be limited, you better fix your crappy maps.

I currently think Apple is at least 5 years behind Google in this regard though.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple should approve it.

It doesn't change much. Since it cannot be called the Map Kit it's going to offer the type of integration that Apple Maps offers.

Approve it and watch silly people make their lives more complex.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Freaking pessimists

If their Maps app doesn't have Malware, then they have to submit to find out. Apple has other Google apps on the Apple App Store, so why not?

What's Google afraid of? That it might have Malware or some code that Apple doesn't want them getting access to like personal information?

I think Google is trying to get our sympathy. Pathetic attempt at it since I didn't buy their little plea of sympathy. Freaking children and their little games they play.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
The only way Apple wouldn't approve it is if it didn't follow their app guidelines. Googles other competing products made it into the app store and there are numerous approved apps using google's mapping services.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
So are many of the others they recommend on the App Store. That has nothing to do with it.

Personally, I think it'll get approved and this article is just very pessimistic. I think it'll take time though... and that Apple is taking their time on purpose. That way, most people will adjust to Apple Maps and won't care so much when it actually does get approved.

Google isn't finished with the app yet so Apple doesn't have it to approve.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I don't think Apple will deny approval. Why would Apple do so? They have approved Google search, which competes with Siri, Gmail, Chrome, etc. Apple has never denied approval of Google apps mimicking features Apple already offers. Why do so now?

This this THIS a hundred million times THIS.

Just because the Guardian found "an anonymous source" saying that they don't think Apple will approve it, doesn't make it remotely true. I can bet you that Google has already cleared such an App with Apple. Any big business would prior to spending millions of dollars developing software. This isn't a smart kid in his parents basement that created a cool little hack app that gets rejected by Apple. This is Google, they aren't stupid.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If Apple doesn't approve it, Google needs to post a copy of Tim Cook's apology over Apple Maps next to a copy of the e-mail Google gets from Apple denying a Google Maps app.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
That's what we need...less choice.

I can understand Apple wanting to remove Google from the iPhone in favor of their own mapping solution, but the way they are going about it is how a 5 year old child would.

Personally, I have yet to have any problems with Apple Maps, but since so many people are having issues, Apple should have prepared (which Tim Cook is famous for doing) and had Maps ready to go at launch. Only then would this child-like behavior "seem" warranted, but right now it's just pathetic.

"choice" is bad to Steve Jobs. Remember he said tablets smaller than the ipad should come with sand paper to file your fingers down.

My wife hates apple maps, but I was more frustrated by the removal of the youtube app. Unfortunately, I bought my ipad 3 used and it came with ios 6 on it. So now I'm eagerly awaiting a ios6 jailbreak.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Sounds ridiculous, Apple would have little choice but to approve it given the problems it has with its own offering. The longer they leave it the more chance Apple has of getting their maps to a reasonable level where it clould be reasonably argued it just duplicates functionality in iOS. Personally I think this is just Google spreading FUD and making noise to draw attention to itself, while also trying to persuading some fence sitters to finally turn to Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.