Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I have no problem doing things for monetary compensation. Almost every US company rapes you of tax income daily. You think that is going to change?
Your leaders encourage it. You may not like our Hearts, but your leaders have no problem bending over for us? :)

no just Blair

quit trying to be funny

YOUR NOT

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I hope the court gets back at Apple for this.

And next I hope Apple is held to account for not paying its due to the UK taxpayer.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
What I don't understand about this judge is that decision is so freaking blind. Sammy clearly copies apple. Even droid nut knows that.. but yet it came to this.

Seriously?

Then almost all the courts are blind regarding the ipad design patents/community designs

----------

What the **** are you on about? Apple wasn't found guilty of anything. The judge decided that even though Samsung copied Apple's design, the copy wasn't good enough to infringe on Apple's design patents.

This is false and you know it because people have explained it to you more than once

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
It does come across as a little smarmy but originally they followed the court order to the letter, but the judge didn't agree - he was being pedantic about the whole affair, so Apple responded like this, playing him at his own game.

Exactly. That judge held more grudges towards Apple than Apple does towards Samsung/Google.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If it is legit then there is nothing Apple should worry about.

It is legit but it seems if the judge stepped in once then he doesn't believe Apple is within the spirit of the agreement. I just wouldn't go as far as pushing it the next time around like Apple has.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I hope the court gets back at Apple for this.

And next I hope Apple is held to account for not paying its due to the UK taxpayer.

well said

we should dress up like chavs and throw some american tourists into the thames too:cool:

APPLE PAY YOUR TAXES!

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
If you regard how they intend to treat GoogleMaps appn and the way they don't stand up to their errors, it just proves that they aren't able to fight back commercially and with innovations anymore.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
The teenager is the "judge."

What kind of teenagers are making these decisions at Apple? Just display the dang text and let the 30 days expire. If you are right and your product is great, you will be fine. Instead you look immature and arrogant.

Immaturity and arrogance has been handed down as a determination from the court. Apple is just protecting itself from their stupidity. That's all. I applaud them for it. I'm surprised they didn't make the text white on a white background. Maybe they'll use that next. I can hope :)

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Apple wasn't found guilty of anything. They sued for copyright infringement and Samsung was found not guilty.

This would be like you suing someone for scratching your car then being unable to prove they did it, then the judge saying you have to put a billboard over your house for a month saying you're a liar. It's pretty ridiculous.

Except Apple continued to say that Samsung had copied them. I can't find their exact words right now, but if I do, I'll post them.

datasmog

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Wrong

Really should expect something better from MacRumours, the Apple UK home page doesn't look anything like the image posted here. In fact apart from the statement in the footer it's pretty much identical to the US site.
Furthermore one would expect to scroll down a page to see the footer anyway. Apple are entitled to design web pages to promote their products any way they choose. And if that means using a fairly large image so what?
I really don't see what the problem is here.

lrjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2003
Exactly. That judge held more grudges towards Apple than Apple does towards Samsung/Google.

I don't think you have read the judgement if you think they followed it correctly. Sir Robin Jacob gave the judgement for the Court of Appeal and he said that unless another suggestion was made by the parties the statement should be:-

On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited's Galaxy Tablet Computers, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple's registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the High court is available on the following link [link given].

That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal on ….. A copy of the Court of Appeal's judgment is available on the following link […]. There is no injunction in respect of the registered design in force anywhere in Europe

The fact that apple followed their statement with a factually inaccurate and misleading paragraph was the reason they were found to be in non compliance with the order and told to rectify it. As to grudges, it has been my experience that judges do not take kindly to those that disobey their rulings so in that respect Apple has earned Sir Robin's ire.

Also if you want to educate yourself the whole judgement can be found at http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1339.html

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
It's kinda humorous going back and forth from apple.com to apple.com/uk to see the differences.

I'm sure they are pissed, but hopefully this doesn't just drag the whole thing out longer.

I'm guessing they did it on purpose… A quick check of various international pages of countries which, like the US, have an official online Apple Store, reveals that they display the same layout as the UK page. The only pages which show up as apple.com are, ironically, those which don't have a store.

So, either they forgot to update the code on those, or they didn't update it for the apple.com site on purpose and, since the other sites are for "lesser countries" (contrast http://www.apple.com/br and http://www.apple.com/pt , and don't forget Brazil is arguably an immensely larger market than Portugal) and sometimes aren't even translated from english (take http://www.apple.com/sa , for instance), they just reuse the code from the main site, hence the similarity.

Anyway, back on topic, this is very well played on their part. Sorry to say but, as trollish as Apple may have been (even to begin with, as they started it all by suing), the UK judge's decision and the arguments he threw around just don't really stick.

Now, in all fairness, if a product is a copycat (outright or not), what does it matter whether it's cooler or not than the original? It could be even cooler while still being a copy; the simple fact that the judge mentioned the "coolness" factor as a measure of infringement is, in and of itself, an admission of guilt. Coolness comparisons *were* made because they *were* warranted, and Samsung was excused of infringing only because they did it, as usual, in a sloppy fashion. :rolleyes: And Apple had, IMHO, the right to point out that out to the public… :cool:

Now, they just link to the ruling, letting their end-customers figure it out for themselves. The judge got its way, Samsung still comes off looking like a copycat, Apple complied, and they can still deny they did this "under-the-fold" thing on purpose as they use that code across various websites and also used it before. Everybody (except Samsung) wins! :p

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
no just Blair

quit trying to be funny

YOUR NOT

I'm not trying to be funny Duke. These threads with the Kangaroo Court lead by the Mad Hatter generate genuine anger. I don't always side with Apple. However, in this ruling I have been consistent. Legal Exhibitionism.

If you think it's so bad, withdraw from the EU and try and go it alone. You're not in the currency? What is holding you back? Leaders who can't take on Big Bad American Business? It's still Blair's fault in 2013 for all purposes?

Save it. Take us on head first or leave it on the table. ;)

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I find it funny that you write "who cares?" and then "it's such a childish judgement"

I guess you care?

I mean who cares what Apple does with this. Its such a lame and childish judgement on the judge's behalf anyway. Seriously.. "You have to post an apology on your website" What is this, 6th grade?

lrjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2003
Anyway, back on topic, this is very well played on their part. Sorry to say but, as trollish as Apple may have been (even to begin with, as they started it all by suing), the UK judge's decision and the arguments he threw around just don't really stick.

Now, in all fairness, if a product is a copycat (outright or not), what does it matter whether it's cooler or not than the original? It could be even cooler while still being a copy; the simple fact that the judge mentioned the "coolness" factor as a measure of infringement is, in and of itself, an admission of guilt. Comparisons *were* made because they *were* warranted, and Samsung was excused of copying only for doing a sloppy job. :rolleyes: And Apple was, IMHO, in its right to point out that to the public… :cool:

So Judge Birss' reasoning doesn't stick. Interesting conclusion so what do you disagree with then. Did Judge Birss not use the correct legal test or was the test applied wrongly? If the test was applied incorrectly how should it have been?

You seem to be under the misapprehension that the case was brought on a copyright basis when it was in fact brought under alleged infringement of a community registered design. The test of infringement is when the informed user is not left with a different overall impression than the community design.

So you were in fact completely incorrect in your assumption about the basis on which the courts made their decisions. If you want to learn more about the case why don't you read the judgments which can be found here:-

High Court:- www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Patents/2012/1882.html.

Court of Appeal:- www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1339.html

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Now, in all fairness, if a product is a copycat (outright or not), what does it matter whether it's cooler or not than the original? It could be even cooler while still being a copy; the simple fact that the judge mentioned the "coolness" factor as a measure of infringement is, in and of itself, an admission of guilt. Coolness comparisons *were* made because they *were* warranted, and Samsung was excused of infringing only because they did it, as usual, in a sloppy fashion. :rolleyes: And Apple had, IMHO, the right to point out that out to the public… :cool:

You have not read the ruling, do you?

Coolness was not a measure of infringement

lrjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2003
I'm not trying to be funny Duke. These threads with the Kangaroo Court lead by the Mad Hatter generate genuine anger. I don't always side with Apple. However, in this ruling I have been consistent. Legal Exhibitionism.

If you think it's so bad, withdraw from the EU and try and go it alone. You're not in the currency? What is holding you back? Leaders who can't take on Big Bad American Business? It's still Blair's fault in 2013 for all purposes?

Save it. Take us on head first or leave it on the table. ;)

What on earth are you talking about? You have called the court "Kangaroo" multiple times but provided no reasoning, maybe that's because you don't have any real reasons and you are simple posturing. Also by real reasons I mean reasons grounded in good legal argument not something you may have pulled from nowhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.