Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
I'm not the kind to quickly leave a company, but this would 100% convince me to switch to Android.

My contract just ended, so it would be the perfect excuse to leave.

It's one thing to lock us in your ecosystem Apple, it's another to provide ****** products and no alternatives. If we're going to be limited, you better fix your crappy maps.

I currently think Apple is at least 5 years behind Google in this regard though.

Over a Mapping program? Really?

I honestly don't know what area you live in, but I've used Apple's Maps app in the area that I currently reside and I have found ZERO errors. I know that certain parts of the world there might be some errors here and there, but I think the whole thing is blown way out of proportion unless you know differently. But how often do you rely on Maps vs all of the other things you do with your phone?

Apple would have to do a LOT more than one or two apps that WILL be fixed over time to move to another platform.

I don't know if you are going to be that much happier in the long run. Android Customer Satisfaction ratings are much lower than Apple's, so I don't know what to tell you.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
This is just so stupid on Apple's part. Shows complete disregard for the end user experience.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Wow. Google Employees must be really dumb. Apple WILL approve Google maps....

Google is just acting like a bunch of immature children, which is basically what they are from a mentality point of view, trying to tug on our sympathy strings.

To me, it's just another way to use the media to get attention and sympathy and they are just PA-THE-TIC.

anoobis

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
Well, if the app is ready by 'end of the year', we'll see in less than two months.

Conjecture is a bit useless now.

Seeing how broken the current approval process is, I wouldn't be surprised if the Google Maps app initially gets denied. Those app reviewers are so under-staffed and spotty in their decisions.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Apple will not deny approval. Unless, google is putting something in the app that they know apple will not allow.

Apple maps suck - not for the directions but more for the lack of information compared to google maps

----------

Google is just acting like a bunch of immature children, which is basically what they are from a mentality point of view, trying to tug on our sympathy strings.

To me, it's just another way to use the media to get attention and sympathy and they are just PA-THE-TIC.

U sound like a google hater!

Google hater!!!

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
"choice" is bad to Steve Jobs. Remember he said tablets smaller than the ipad should come with sand paper to file your fingers down.

My wife hates apple maps, but I was more frustrated by the removal of the youtube app. Unfortunately, I bought my ipad 3 used and it came with ios 6 on it. So now I'm eagerly awaiting a ios6 jailbreak.

You can download the Native YouTube App from the App Store. It is much better than the one Apple made. It is faster, offers more function, etc.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Anon developer sources aren't worth much.

I'm sure Apple would love to block it, but I'm also sure that they aren't that stupid.

drblank said:
I honestly don't know what area you live in, but I've used Apple's Maps app in the area that I currently reside and I have found ZERO errors.

At default zoom level there are 24 errors in immediate view of my house. I've sent in corrections for them all. One has been changed, and that is still wrong, just in a different way.

I know that certain parts of the world there might be some errors here and there, but I think the whole thing is blown way out of proportion unless you know differently.

In London there are easily a few million POI that should be present. I would go so far as to say 75% of the POI data in London is wrong. Conservatively.

But how often do you rely on Maps vs all of the other things you do with your phone?

Maps is by far and away the most used app on my phone.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
One of the major flaws of Apple Maps is that it is using Yelp data which, for my area at least, is HIGHLY inaccurate. Like >95% of the businesses in my area either have missing information, incorrect information, or VERY inaccurate pin locations, including numerous businesses not yet listed, or businesses still listed that are no longer there. I have personally corrected information using Apple Maps 'Report a problem' weeks ago, and nothing has been adjusted. I also recently corrected the same information using Yelp's online 'Edit business' about a week ago, and after you submit the corrected form it says 'A Yelp representative will confirm the information and fix in a few days' or something to that effect. Also, no changes yet.

So one of the major flaws is that Yelp is terrible. I am in no way blaming it all on Yelp though. I know there are many other bad flaws with other layers of the mapping. Yelp does allow your edited information to be immediately changed without having to be reviewed by a Yelp representative if you declare that you are an owner of the business or something like that. I'm thinking about doing that for like every business around my area just to fix the problems myself, but I'm not sure of the consequences of agreeing to those terms.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
If this is true and Apple maps hasn't improved by the time I buy my next phone, I'll be purchasing something that allows google maps. Outside of calls, texts and email, the map is by far my most used app, and Apple maps is very nearly completely useless.

Wrong. Used Apple Maps every day in the last week, and it worked flawlessly. You might find it useless, but I am getting happier and happier every day I get further away from needing Google products...

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Sigh why can I see Google slipping in a very clear and obvious violation just for the sake of Apple having to reject it, so that it can make the news.
Something really silly too that's an easy fix and not even necessary.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
There is no reason that they won't approve Google maps.

Given there are many other map sources on the Store and other GPS tools such as Garmin.

Bing
Quick Route
Mapquest
Garmin
Waze - Pretty good open source social - but horrible cutesy graphics.
Magellan
Tom Tom
Navigon
Maps+

Personally I am used to Maps now and they have already improved it a lot in the UK... Brighton now exists! And the Kingston Apple store is in the right place... not in the middle of a river!

Liking the Automatic Traffic aggregation. I presume it's getting that from other people's locations/speed etc. Using Tom Tom's Tech.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Eh...just a Google PR stunt since they won't have the app done by the end of the year. Trying to put the blame on Apple when they haven't even attempted to submit the app.

anoobis

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012

Did you RTFA? Two "sources at Google familiar with its mapping plans" does not equate to Google as a company...but nice blanket, derogatory statement.

I could equally infer your post to "all MacRumors users are quick to over generalize"

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I don't think Apple will deny approval. Why would Apple do so? They have approved Google search, which competes with Siri, Gmail, Chrome, etc. Apple has never denied approval of Google apps mimicking features Apple already offers. Why do so now?

Don't forget about Google Voice...

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Speaking as somebody who works at the intersection of tech and public communications, I really can't imagine much of a leg Apple could stand on if Google decided to submit a great app, with a public demo, and it gets rejected. I can't tell you how many people I've heard of buying the 4S over the 5, thinking it's because because they want the Google Maps rather than the Apple one. People are super tuned into this.

anoobis

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
Anon developer sources aren't worth much.

I'm sure Apple would love to block it, but I'm also sure that they aren't that stupid.

At default zoom level there are 24 errors in immediate view of my house. I've sent in corrections for them all. One has been changed, and that is still wrong, just in a different way.

In London there are easily a few million POI that should be present. I would go so far as to say 75% of the POI data in London is wrong. Conservatively.

Maps is by far and away the most used app on my phone.

But, drblank has not found errors! So the app must be perfect!

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
While I think it is premature to claim Apple is blocking, it would be childish on the other hand to block Google map app if they do.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Did Google Voice ever leave "in approbation" limbo ?
The Google Voice app for the iPhone has been out for two years now.

itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-voice/id318698524

Sadly, Google's most recent update seems to have screwed up a lot of working stuff for people in the process.

Was there for months, and we never really heard about it again (I'm still waiting for the official Canadian release of the service though, thanks CRTC !).

Looks like it's US only? Even the Android version says that it is "currently only available in the US".

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice&hl=en

Last edited:

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Sounds ridiculous, Apple would have little choice but to approve it given the problems it has with its own offering. The longer they leave it the more mchance Apple has of getting their maps to a reasonable level where it clould be reasonably argued it just duplicates functionality in iOS. Personally I think this is just Google spreading FUD and making noise to draw attention to itself, while also trying to persuading some fence sitters to finally turn to Android.

My thoughts exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.