Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
The following link states that there is an extended return period for purchases between Oct. 27 and Dec. 25: http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html

The policy does not appear to apply to online purchases because there is a separate link on the same page for the latter. Why does Apple limit the extended return period to retail purchases?

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Anyone know? Do we have until early Jan 2013 to return our Minis?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I asked this morning via customer relations. Holiday return policy applies in store and online. The iPad Mini falls within that since we all took delivery November 2 or later.

Solved.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
BestBuy's return policy on products purchased as a gift are eligible for Jan. 24th, 2013 return.

Alicia4065

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
NJ
my receipt from the apple store says my return date is Nov 16. I know when I but stuff from BestBuy during the holiday extended shopping the latter date is posted on it.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I asked this morning via customer relations. Holiday return policy applies in store and online. The iPad Mini falls within that since we all took delivery November 2 or later.

Solved.

Did you ask specifically about purchase through the online store? I called this morning too and was advised that I only have 14 days.

The extended return period doesn't make sense to me unless it is supposed to be for unopened devices. That way, if mom/dad buys an ipad now and their kid receives it as a gift on Dec. 25, the kid can still return the ipad if it isn't what he wanted.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Did you ask specifically about purchase through the online store? I called this morning too and was advised that I only have 14 days.

The extended return period doesn't make sense to me unless it is supposed to be for unopened devices. That way, if mom/dad buys an ipad now and their kid receives it as a gift on Dec. 25, the kid can still return the ipad if it isn't what he wanted.

Yes, though I gave my example of having bought the iPad Mini WiFi, and deciding to upgrade to the LTE when available. They said no problem.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I guess after the regular 14 days, you get a gift card. That's what I think it says in the terms.

No, if you have the original receipt, you can get a refund in the same way you paid. So if you paid by credit card, you can get a refund to your credit card, if you paid cash, I suppose you get back cash.

However, when purchasing somebody a gift, you can ask for a gift receipt. A gift receipt just lists the time and place of purchase, but doesn't list the amount paid. When you give the gift, you also hand off the gift receipt. Then, if the gift recipient wants to return the gift, he takes the gift, along with the gift receipt, back to the store. And Apple's policy is that someone coming in with a gift receipt can only get a gift card, not a cash or credit card refund.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I'm not going to gamble on the extended policy applying to the Mini I purchased online.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
If it helps, I did the online chat thing that they have at the Apple Store online. I said I wanted to purchase an iPad Mini for someone and would be ordering it from the online store. If it just has the usual 14-day return period then I'd need to wait until just before Christmas to order, which would be a pain. I posted the text from the link that the OP gave and asked if the extended return period is for the online store as well as the brick & mortar stores. He told me that yes, it is an extended return period and I could return it as late as January 7.

So, sounds like it's true, but you might want to call Apple just to verify.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
No, if you have the original receipt, you can get a refund in the same way you paid. So if you paid by credit card, you can get a refund to your credit card, if you paid cash, I suppose you get back cash.

However, when purchasing somebody a gift, you can ask for a gift receipt. A gift receipt just lists the time and place of purchase, but doesn't list the amount paid. When you give the gift, you also hand off the gift receipt. Then, if the gift recipient wants to return the gift, he takes the gift, along with the gift receipt, back to the store. And Apple's policy is that someone coming in with a gift receipt can only get a gift card, not a cash or credit card refund.

Oh cool

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
The lower level employees behind the chat link have authority to bind apple? They could be mistaken.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
So under this policy you can return an iPad even if it is opened until Jan 7th? How about the Smart Cover? Can you return that as well for a refund?

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
The policy doesn't make any sense until it is for unopened, still in shrink wrap, devices.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The policy doesn't make any sense until it is for unopened, still in shrink wrap, devices.

Somebody who receives the item as a gift could open it, try it, then decide it isn't for them or they want to exchange it for something else.

Dyce

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Bought an ipad 4 and mini from best buy and the rep said I have around early January to return it.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Purchased in a retail store? My invoice from an online purchase doesn't state a return deadline.

Yeah, purchased at retail:

3cb49f5dc834146548fec1bbe4a9addf.jpg

jfulcher

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I'm hoping this will work to hold out for the LTE and then return the wifi only model.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
As far as I know, Apple always has extended return periods around the holidays. Most places do. Otherwise people would have to wait to purchase gifts until 1-2 weeks before Christmas, which isn't practical. It makes much more sense to extend the return period.

gpcartky

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Apple Online Store Return Policy Link

This should help:

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

This lists the extended holiday return period for purchases made from the Apple Online Store in the US. It is specific to the online store, not retail stores, but it looks like they are treating them the same by extending the return period to January 7, 2013.

One more thing, my receipt from the Apple Store where I picked my iPad Mini up on November 2 does not list an extended return period (says return by November 16) but it would be tough to for them to argue with a policy posted to their own website. I confirmed the return policy with the staff from whom I picked it up. I am confident that if my wife wants to return it after Christmas there won't be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.