Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
They had better approve it. I'd really like to be able to upgrade to iOS 6 some day, but not without the transit directions I've been relying on since the original iPhone.

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
This sounds like Google 'are going' to be breaking iTunes app store policies and they're trying to make it sounds like their being victimised. This isn't the first time they've said this, but if their app is within the rules, I imagine Apple will allow it, there are loads of others that use Google's maps... I'm just suspicious that they're whinging and whining when they haven't even submitted it yet for approval. Perhaps its because they'll be using it to gather details like they did with the vans, hoarding the illegally gathered details even after they told the authorities they'd deleted it...

bryanck

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Fud

More Google FUD. They really have learned well from 90's Microsoft. Play off of others fears to hide your own evil intentions. Google doesn't want to make a good mapping app for iOS because mapping is a clear differentiator between iOS and Android.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
As others have said, Apple will only deny it if they use private APIs. Based off of their pessimism, I'm betting they are using private APIs and are going to cry foul when it gets denied even though the developer agreements clearly state any apps that use private APIs will be denied.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Google has obviously weighed the benefit of having their app on an iOS device against their vested interest in having something that gives Android an edge.

Why would Google have a big-picture Interest in enhancing the experience for iOS users?

In the long run they would be better off keeping their edge for droid users. This is simply an excuse for a cold corporate decision.

Well played, google, well played.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Freaking pessimists

well look at the mess with google voice and getting that approved. It magically got approved when Apple was being investigated by the FTC. My guess because Apple knew they would be screwed if it was allowed to go completely threw. I would not be surprised to see it happen again with Google maps.

On things Apple knows it sucks at and can not really complete at they cheat to block the better alternatives.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
More Google FUD. They really have learned well from 90's Microsoft. Play off of others fears to hide your own evil intentions. Google doesn't want to make a good mapping app for iOS because mapping is a clear differentiator between iOS and Android.

Yeah because their other apps are so terrible, with their better voice recognition, insanely fast video and speak in and out live translation. Google's obviously phoning it in.

Zaim2

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
I don't think Apple will deny approval. Why would Apple do so? They have approved Google search, which competes with Siri

iOS Google Search/Voice search isn't the best example since that got delayed in approval purgatory for a full 2 months (it was submitted the week before it was announced on the 8th August).

Last edited:

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Sounds ridiculous, Apple would have little choice but to approve it given the problems it has with its own offering. The longer they leave it the more chance Apple has of getting their maps to a reasonable level where it clould be reasonably argued it just duplicates functionality in iOS. Personally I think this is just Google spreading FUD and making noise to draw attention to itself, while also trying to persuading some fence sitters to finally turn to Android.

I believe you are correct about Google sending out disinformation. Probably want to build pressure on Apple ahead of time to approve the app or, as you said, get some to switch to Android before they ever submit the app.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
What do you mean, poor Google? Poor US! the USERS! Who would be stuck with a single solution, Apple Maps, which is missing _a lot_ of data, lacks street view, and doesn't have an equivalent desktop solution to sync data to.

Having said that, I bet Apple approves the app, just like they did approve chrome, and just like they approved other map apps which are present in the App Store. I don't understand why they point to existing map apps to say that it is unlikely theirs will be approved!

Before getting too worked up over this you do understand that this is not fact but pure speculation. Apple would be unlikely to get away with not approving it as it would contain significant extra functionality not native in iOS. That is however unless Google want to include some kind of info gathering that they know is against app store rules, wouldn't put that past them.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Yeah because their other apps are so terrible, with their better voice recognition, insanely fast video and speak in and out live translation. Google's obviously phoning it in.

As I wrote earlier, the latest Google Voice update seems to have it's share of problems. Their YouTube app with no iPad resolution support is complete crap. And their Street View interface via HTML still doesn't have fish-eye corrections and the maps are still bit-mapped tiles with no offline support. And still, no usable turn-by-turn directions. And those are just the issues off the top of my head. So let's not canonize them for sainthood just yet. :p

Last edited:

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
Sigh why can I see Google slipping in a very clear and obvious violation just for the sake of Apple having to reject it, so that it can make the news.
Something really silly too that's an easy fix and not even necessary.

That is what I am thinking, too. It makes no sense to say the things they are saying. Google knows it and we know it that, of course, Apple would approve their map app - just like nearly everything else.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Lack of good Android hardware, significant money spent on iOS apps, contract terms?

How is the GSIII with its QUAD core processor lack of good Android hardware? I know the Note 2 is a big but the hardware in that is excellent. Blowing any future iPhone right out of the water.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Lack of good Android hardware, significant money spent on iOS apps, contract terms?

Maybe. I think its mostly fashion, though. Most Android users are either pimply tech-geeks, or poor people.

(OK, I guess there's also a third category of insecure guys who bought an android phone because it has a bigger screen.)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Exactly, I highly doubt that Apple would not approve it

Before the "Maps" application, Apple paid Google lots of money to use their map data. Now Apple doesn't pay Google a penny for the map data. Maybe that's goal achieved already.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
How is the GSIII with its QUAD core processor lack of good Android hardware? I know the Note 2 is a big but the hardware in that is excellent. Blowing any future iPhone right out of the water.

You know that the dual-core A6 already blows the quad-core GSIII out of the water, both in terms of CPU and graphics performance, right?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
5+ years of Google Maps iOS and no Turn-By-Turn... We were probably never going to get it because Google favored Android, which I do not blame them for at all...

Apple Maps is going to get better... Google Maps was unreliable at the start as well, no company is perfect. I do not understand why Google seems to be considered the "Good Guy" in this scenario... At least Apple decided to step up and do it themselves to finally give us the features Google wouldn't.

Finally having Turn-by-Turn on my phone has been great for me and my GF. Google Maps almost made me crash several times as I tried to look at the phone to make sure I did not miss the turn.

Also, when I missed my exit because someone decided to cut me off, it auto-corrected the route for me no problem using the next exit.

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
That's what we need...less choice.

I can understand Apple wanting to remove Google from the iPhone in favor of their own mapping solution, but the way they are going about it is how a 5 year old child would.

Everything Apple does lately seems like something a spoiled child would do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.