Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You can't backup apps, but you can pretty much save copies of everything else from the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini using PhoneView. Only requirement is that you're running OS X Leopard and have iTunes v9.2 or newer.

Tested with my Power Mac G5 and iPad Mini.

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
Heh, actually bought Phoneview 2.8.4 today, I've got an iPhone 5 and a G5 running Leopard and iTunes 10.6.3. All of Phoneviews' stuff works perfectly. I pretty much use it to just archive SMS messages and the call history, but yeah, it's nice :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Heh, actually bought Phoneview 2.8.4 today, I've got an iPhone 5 and a G5 running Leopard and iTunes 10.6.3. All of Phoneviews' stuff works perfectly. I pretty much use it to just archive SMS messages and the call history, but yeah, it's nice :)

Oh yeah, it's a great piece of software! I got it free with MacHeist a couple of years ago and have been using it ever since. It's so much more robust compared to iTunes.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Worked with it this morning. You can add photos and videos to your Camera Roll as well. The trick is you have to rebuild the Camera Roll database to make them visible though.

Using the File System viewer in the PhotoData folder, delete the Photos.sqlite files. Disconnect and reboot the phone. Open up the Images app and your Camera Roll will now be blank. But be patient and it will rebuild the database with the new images/videos (your albums should also be intact).

If you don't force it to rebuild the databse you can copy over stuff but your phone will never see it.

Finally got a Honeymooners episode from my DVR to my Mac to my iPhone and this last bit was part of the process. Now that I know how to do it, it's a matter of streamlining the process. Unintuitively, it turns out that video recorded by your phone is stored in the Camera Roll. That means within the file system it's stored in the DCIM folder. I'm not sure it matters, but I followed the naming convention I found there for my video.

Not sure where "actual" video (i.e., video you can see via the Videos app) is stored, nor if anything placed there other than actual purchases or downloads would show up.

I'm guessing you can get ringtones in somehow as well, but I've only glanced at that right now.

Last edited:

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I have downloaded the demo version of 2.8.4 and I have an iPhone 5.

The camera roll appeared automatically and I managed to drag-n-drop a video from iphone to finder.
However, can I add music from mac to iphone ? At least with the purchased version. If it was something like 10$ I would bought it anyway, but 30$ is something worth considering.

jhulgan

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
AL
Worked with it this morning. You can add photos and videos to your Camera Roll as well. The trick is you have to rebuild the Camera Roll database to make them visible though.

Using the File System viewer in the PhotoData folder, delete the Photos.sqlite files. Disconnect and reboot the phone. Open up the Images app and your Camera Roll will now be blank. But be patient and it will rebuild the database with the new images/videos (your albums should also be intact).

If you don't force it to rebuild the databse you can copy over stuff but your phone will never see it.

Thank you!!
However my photos are out of order.

Edit: ah, I moved all of my photos to a folder then added them back manually with PhoneView while using the advice stated above. Nothing showed, had to delete the Photo sqlite as well. Everything is back in order.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.