Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al821

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
so i know att started to blacklist imei for stolen or lost phones. can the blacklisted phone be used on tmobile?

i had my phone robbed, so yea.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
The imei lockout should stop the iPhone being used in any network.

In the Uk if a lockout is imposed by the network it would only hold in the uk hence why a lot of cellphones that are stolen are shipped abroad.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
AT&T blacklisting only works on their own network and will not affect other gsm networks like tmobile and their subsidiaries. It is not like in Europe where carriers will share a blacklist. Tmobile I don't believe use a blacklist system of any kind.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
They should make this as a public database so people who buy phones from CL can verify before buying and not end up with a blacklisted phone.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The blacklist used "in the UK" is actually an international one, but it's not the same as the one in the US.

Disagree. It is well known that phones stolen in the UK are shipped to Italy and France.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Disagree. It is well known that phones stolen in the UK are shipped to Italy and France.

It's not a case of "disagree".

It's a fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Equipment_Identity_Register

I did not say that ALL networks in the world use it.

I don't know specifically about France and Italy, but I'd be surprised if they didn't use it.

If they go abroad, they tend to go to countries with slim to no chance of any form of IMEI blocking ever being implemented.

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
AT&T, Verzion, et al. will start sharing their database soon so that a blacklisted # in AT&T's database will also be in Verizon's and so forth.

al821

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
thanks. shouldve been more careful but **** happens. even though the phone is gone, it's good to know that the scumbag will not be able to activate it on any GSM network within the states

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.