Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Would prefer not to have an integrated lightning cable in the car charger. I won't buy another that isn't plain ole USB.

The Dock is half-baked. Nice but if you got to run your own cable you may as well make your own dock.

"Would prefer not to have an integrated lightning cable in the car charger."
Hear, HEAR!

I have an iPhone 5. My huband has a 4S. I would prefer not to have to swap out chargers when we travel together. JEEZ. USB or NO-GO!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
That dock is rather bulky. Hopefully someone comes out with an authorized one that is the same size, or slightly bigger, than the docks for pre-lightning iOS devices.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
quite possibly the ugliest dock I could imagine. phone looks like it's a foot tall on that thing.

I'd rather spend $29 on the adapter from apple to use on my existing cig charger - at least that way I can detatch it and use it elsewhere

Don't find it that ugly. I don't usually trust Belkin quality. But this may just fit the bill for me. Being able to put a much better built Apple cable in this may reduce the likelihood that it will break later on.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Great to see a 3rd party Lightning cord but I will just stick with my USB car charger adapter.

I purchased an extra USB/Lightning cord from Apple but I would also like to be able to charge other devices.

Yea I did the same, but since I still would like to charge my iPad and iPhone 4S (work phone)... and so my GF can charge her phone as well. I bought this right after I got my iPhone 5 along with an additional Lightning cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...1352134513&sr=8-7&keywords=iphone+car+charger
31GA%2BS0aK3L._SS500_.jpg

I have an iPhone 5. My huband has a 4S. I would prefer not to have to swap out chargers when we travel together. JEEZ. USB or NO-GO!

The solution I found above would work great for you. Its like $7 on Amazon (see link). The 30-Pin cord is coiled, I coiled the lightning cable myself... good enough for now.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Hmmm... $30 for a car charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter (12v) from a 3rd party or $30 for the official lightening cable that plugs into my USB port in my car that charges my phone and allows me access to all of my stuff on it to play thru my radio...

Decisions decisions.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I really want a good all-in-one solution for car navigation:

• Some type of dock to put the phone in
  • Flexible/positionable arm that stays in place nicely
  • End of the arm should plug straight into the car power port
  • Lightning connector
  • Headset jack
  • USB/Headset cable to plug into AUX input

So basically, an updated version of this -

Belkin Tunebase without the FM transmitter and a Lighting connector.

It has an additional USB port on the side of the base and a 3.5mm jack.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
can't the audio come out through the lightning port? i don't understand the headphone jack on the dock:confused:

If you were docking and playing audio out off of speakers you couldn't do it with just the cable possibly. For example I just use some basic computer speakers to play music in my living room out of. This dock could change it to both my music station and charging station by just dropping my phone in place.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'd rather spend $29 on the adapter from apple to use on my existing cig charger - at least that way I can detatch it and use it elsewhere

Would prefer not to have an integrated lightning cable in the car charger. I won't buy another that isn't plain ole USB.

Great to see a 3rd party Lightning cord but I will just stick with my USB car charger adapter.

I purchased an extra USB/Lightning cord from Apple but I would also like to be able to charge other devices.

BS. I would buy a Lightning-USB cable for $19 + a Car Charger to USB Female Converter for $1.

Yea I did the same, but since I still would like to charge my iPad and iPhone 4S (work phone)... and so my GF can charge her phone as well. I bought this right after I got my iPhone 5 along with an additional Lightning cable.

All of the above.

Nobody wants to go back to days where the cable was permanently attached to the charger.

The real question is this: How on God's Green Earth does Belkin not implicitly understand this?

stevenshizzle

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
I don't see much utility here. I'd much rather get another lightning cable and hook it to my existing USB power nub in my car. As for the dock, that's gross.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Love the dock!

I would if it:
  1. actually included a Lightning connector instead of requiring you to snake your own cable up into it; and
  2. didn't have a built-in headphone plug, because then it would be compatible with other Lightning devices instead of just the iPhone 5 (or anything that happens to have the exact same port configuration and spacing as it). Like 30-pin, Lightning can transmit audio--but that would require them to actually include the connector in the dock (and implement it properly).

I think their price for the dock would be reasonable (I'd even pay a few dollars more) if they did any of these things. As is, any old stand seems like it would do the same.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Car charger would be a decent deal if the lightning cable was not connected directly, but it is. I think you would be better off buying a $19 Apple lightning cable and a $3 car USB charger.

And the dock would be cool if I could use it for both iPad Mini and iPhone 5...but the audio port ends up preventing that.

The audio port flips down, so it *should* accommodate the mini.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Car charger silly. (thumb down)

Dock is meh.

Tie your only L-cable to a oversize base? Really, Belkin?

I would not get either for $0

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I hope this isn't Thunderbolt all over again. I can't believe it's taking this long to get third-party Lightning accessories on the shelves. The phone has been out almost two months.

I was wondering that too. From the comments I see here, no one is thrilled with this. The only good thing I see is a 3rd party has made a Lightning based device (just the one, dock does not count) so I can only hope this opens the flood gates on other company's Lightning products.

The 30 pin connector was successful in part due to the support from 3rd parties. Some like to stick with Apple while others like alternative choices.

Anyone remember how long it took other companies to created cords for the 30 Pin connector? It would have been products for the 3rd Generation iPod, back in 2003.

elec999

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...1352134513&sr=8-7&keywords=iphone+car+charger

The solution I found above would work great for you. Its like $7 on Amazon (see link). The 30-Pin cord is coiled, I coiled the lightning cable myself... good enough for now.

Excellent choice, the dual charger is amazing. And then get the thunderbolt cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.