Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toblerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Hi
I'm considering iPhone5. Are there any particular educational benefits to having it? Apologies for the nerdy question but does it make life any easier for teachers?
teacheractivities.co.uk recommends one

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Are you talking about using it in the classroom as a teaching aid or your personal use, like for Reminders and Calendar events?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It depends on how you use the phone, a top end rMBP can be beneficial if you're actually utilizing the power of it, less so if you're just checking macrumors and writing emails.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Yeah, you can play around with it instead of teaching, which is what most high school teachers are doing nowadays.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Funny you bring this up. When I was substituting for a history teacher a couple weeks ago, I checked an app that I have called "On This Day" and it gave me a couple interesting historical events that fit in with the teacher's lesson plans and made those classes more interesting for the students.

Idk if the app is also available on Android - but couldn't care less b/c I have an IP4S.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Funny you bring this up. When I was substituting for a history teacher a couple weeks ago, I checked an app that I have called "On This Day" and it gave me a couple interesting historical events that fit in with the teacher's lesson plans and made those classes more interesting for the students.

Idk if the app is also available on Android - but couldn't care less b/c I have an IP4S.

true.. or you can open wikipedia ;)

Attachments

• 12345.JPG
    12345.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 80

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I use my ipad/iPhone in almost every workshop and activity I do with the students at my job. Helps them pay attention more whether or not they see the screen. They truly are magical devices!

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Its a great device for everything, but if you are looking for mainly being educational, the ipad is a better choice.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
How exactly?

I do it. My notes are there instead of paper.
I mostly use my iphone, because it's more convenient, but same idea. My notes are in dropbox, and I read them off my device. My keynote presentations are in dropbox and I play them off my iphone/ipad.

If I have an audio lecture (some are), then I hook my iphone to the computer speakers.

Students have a dropbox that they share with me. we put homework, notes, reading logs etc in that dropbox. All on iphone.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I use my iPad during college lectures. All my lectures were on PowerPoint, but I converted them over to Keynote. With the Keynote Remote on my iPhone, I can be much more free from the podium/computer desk. It allows me to interact more and control the slides from my hand. Keynote Remote also shows your presenter notes at the bottom of the screen so you can have your slides and notes in the palm of your hand & still not be tethered to the desk.

BagehotW1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
IPhone is a perfect all around device for teachers. I like the convenience of having my weekly lectures timetable with me at all times, together with the ability to dynamically move classes around, keep track of appointments, etc. That is for the organisational perspective. As far as educational matters are concerned, the benefits depend on the content of your lessons: would you be likely to play a lot of video/audio files in class? If so, iPhone can help too - since you are able to connect it to a set of speakers or a projector to play presentations in class. It really makes some tasks easier and/or more intuitive, but the ability to keep organised ultimately clinched it for me.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I can show videos on either the iPhone or iPad by using an adapter and projector. All my activities are typed up and I animate using the iPad. Just the other day I hooked up my iPad to a smart board and showed what S.M.A.R.T. Goals are. Had info on my phone that I read at same time during a small quiz part of the workshop.

I also play different music from my iPhone for setting the mood of the room. Ed. Calming music for serious work

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I would recommend the iPhone 5 plus an iPad. Many apps are available for both devices for one fee (or free). Particularly useful is the Splashtop series where you can control a computer screen remotely using either the iPad or iPhone, even to drawing on the computer screen like they do for football game discussions. Very cool.

Also, check out the app store and look for educational apps. That will give you a good idea of what's available. If there's a white "+" sign on the download button, it is available for both iDevices. :)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
An iPad may be more appropriate, but then again it depends. You can load educational videos/photos on your iPhone & maybe show it over the projector in your classroom, would be a good idea. If your students are tech-savvy, you can also set up a whatsapp class group where they can ask you any questions at any time :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.