Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I know a lot of people have said this, but I just don't understand it. I love my iPhone, but I seriously can't wait until they completely change the UI.
It's just boring and there's no excitement or surprise anymore. I know I could jail break it, but id really rather not mess with that and the Cydia store etc. I don't want a clown to pop out of the screen, just something less boring than the same looking OS from the iPhone 3G.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I know a lot of people have said this, but I just don't understand it. I love my iPhone, but I seriously can't wait until they completely change the UI.
It's just boring and there's no excitement or surprise anymore. I know I could jail break it, but id really rather not mess with that and the Cydia store etc. I don't want a clown to pop out of the screen, just something less boring than the same looking OS from the iPhone 3G.

I agree it needs a GUI redesign , but Apple does not change any thing unless sales go downwards and the only place sales are going is upwards...

So no change any time soon.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Be patient, Jony Ive is in charge of iOS UI. We may not see any significant changes via iOS 6.1 but hopefully we will see it with iOS 7.

diagnostics247

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
Now that Apple dropped the dude who was keeping Skeumorphism around, we may see a change sometime in the future... Maybe... At least I hope they update the Game Center and Find My Friends... GD those are ugly.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
There is nothing wrong with the UI. Live widgets and other UI related features are irrelevant eye candy and would drain battery life.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
There is nothing wrong with the UI. Live widgets and other UI related features are irrelevant eye candy and would drain battery life.
So you're saying that notification badges and the live Calendar date are irrelevant eye candy?

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Change for the sake of change?

Look at OS X. Look at Windows. Change is incremental, adding features, improving at the foundation. Why would Apple drastically change?

It has a lot of room for improvement, but change to to make it fun??

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I'm wanting a change as well.

Or just maybe a bit more customization. Allowing me to put shortcuts in the notifications drop down. Or a switch on the main screen for Bluetooth. Things like that.

Just making it more unique to my own tastes.

I don't need an overhaul.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I was thinking about UI related features which are currently not in iOS.
My point is that it seems as though you were arguing that "x" is bad, even though iOS has examples of "x", and now it seems as though you're arguing that "any bit more than Apple's implementation of x" is bad.

Perfectly finessed icons are also eye candy, and they're very important. Eye candy, with all else being equal, can make a huge positive difference in user interfaces. However, that depends completely on how well designed it is. I am not arguing in favor of just randomly adding animations or whatnot.

I agree that battery life is affected, but that depends on the specific examples - usually, a simple flourish has a negligible affect, and server-intensive ones have a major effect, and everything else is in the middle.

Theblurayfreak

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012

I completely agree with you. When widget and other features get put into the picture they alway start draining the battery life you'll get on the device.

Stelv

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Earth
Widgets are cool, but I couldn't use very many of them on my Android devices, because they would slow the phone way down. My screen was bascially 4 icons and 3 widgets. Still I think iOS should add at least a clock or toggle widgets.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I agree - I got a great sense of refreshment from Windows 8 - even though it does have to revert back to Windows 7 Mode again - still, the newer style is very fluid and refreshing. I would also like to see ios get a makeover.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Never really understood why some people care so much about the UI of iOS. I spend just a couple seconds with it any time I use my iOS devices. It's used the launch apps which is all I care about. It's the apps that make any device, not the OS itself. Who really sits and stares at their home screen for hours like we do with apps like Twitter, Facebook, and the countless other games and apps? As long as it's quick and clean to launch apps, that's all I care about.

Honestly, no one cares about your cool Mario theme yet some people think it's the coolest thing ever.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I am so excited for iOS 7. I believe jony Ives design will change everything up in the UI industry as it did in the tech design industry.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I love when you guys claim things are "irrelevant" because YOU dont find them necessary.

----------

Never really understood why some people care so much about the UI of iOS. I spend just a couple seconds with it any time I use my iOS devices. It's used the launch apps which is all I care about. It's the apps that make any device, not the OS itself. Who really sits and stares at their home screen for hours like we do with apps like Twitter, Facebook, and the countless other games and apps? As long as it's quick and clean to launch apps, that's all I care about.

Honestly, no one cares about your cool Mario theme yet some people think it's the coolest thing ever.

Opinion: A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I dont really get this, the job of the OS is really supposed to excite you, that's the job of the apps.

The problem is that I don't want to unlock my phone and then open 10 different apps to get that specific information. What can't I just unlock my phone and that information is aggregated for me without having to launch each specific app? The App-at-a-time paradigm is the part of the UI that I find frustrating.

LearnIIBurn

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
I want one change so bad. A wifi toggle in the notification center. That is all.

So simple. My god... please add it to non-jailbroken iOS. I literally jailbreak for SBSettings.

Also being able to select how long I want the snooze duration to be on my phone would be killer too. 10 mins is awkward for me.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I want one change so bad. A wifi toggle in the notification center. That is all.

So simple. My god... please add it to non-jailbroken iOS. I literally jailbreak for SBSettings.

Also being able to select how long I want the snooze duration to be on my phone would be killer too. 10 mins is awkward for me.

Siri can find me movie tickets but can't understand "Turn off wifi" :(

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Dont think you understand the purpose of an OS. Infinity Blade and Real Racing are supposed to be exciting, go have fun,

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Dont think you understand the purpose of an OS. Infinity Blade and Real Racing are supposed to be exciting, go have fun,

I dont think the purpose of an operating system is to make you jump through hoops to perform basic tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.