Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Apple want to charge me £295 to fix this? What shall i do.
Im thinking sell it on ebay and flag that it needs a Hardrive replacement, and put the money towards a shiny new 2012 imac...or...try and replace the drive myself?

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
Im thinking sell it on ebay and flag that it needs a Hardrive replacement, and put the money towards a shiny new 2012 imac...or...try and replace the drive myself?

Do you have the 1TB drive? If so, Apple recalled them and are replacing them for free.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Apparently my HD isn't in the replacement programme : (
And typically i'm just out of warranty.
I think i will take applecare next time.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I'm in a similar position as the HDD on my 2008 24" iMac packed up a few months ago. Since then I have been running off an external (FW800) 1TB drive waiting for the new iMacs to be announced.

If the 2011 iMac meets your needs, you could get yourself set up running off an external drive and then perhaps you don't need to upgrade just yet.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
I just got myself a 120 SSD thunderbolt use as a boot drive to install my essential apps like Starcraft 2 :)

So i guess i could get an external USB 3 drive for my media ect. would i notice any lag considering the apps are installed on SSD?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

Replacing it yourself would save you a lot of cash but there is risk involved. The 21.5" is easier to work with than the 27" in my opinion. The screen is smaller and lighter to lift out of the chassis for replacement

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I just got myself a 120 SSD thunderbolt use as a boot drive to install my essential apps like Starcraft 2 :)

So i guess i could get an external USB 3 drive for my media ect. would i notice any lag considering the apps are installed on SSD?

Will you spend more than the repair quote on your thunderbolt SSD and external drive? If you are buying all that stuff. why don't you just let them fix it?

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
I wanted to go the SSD route for my bootup. But didn't figure the Internal would be so much to replace.

I will be almost £480 all in if i pay what they want and add the cost of the SSD.

Getting close to new imac price especially if i get £450 for it on ebay.

I i could replace the internal for a reasonable price than that would be great...but £295?

I would risk changing the disk myself but then there is the fan rpm issue?

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Apparently my HD isn't in the replacement programme : (
And typically i'm just out of warranty.
I think i will take applecare next time.

You ARE NOT. As a EU citizen, you are entitled to two years of guarantee and under the UK law theoretically even more.

It will be easier to argue under the EU law as it clearly states a 2 year guarantee.

Here you will find an interesting read on it:
http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/eu-...es-us-6-years-to-claim-for-faulty-appliances/

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Ok im going to take this into a big apple store and try for the 2 year EU guarantee as my next option. Thanks rikscha for this info. Has anyone else tried this?

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Looks like apple's layers have been over this with a fine comb "Defects present when customer takes delivery" as opposed to apple standard "Defects arising after customer takes delivery "

Not sure where this leaves us just out of warranty imac owners.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
When the drive in my 07 iMac failed, I replaced it myself for about £35. iMacs are not the easiest machines to work on yourself. But not impossible either. If you are still not up for replacing it yourself, then im sure you could find an independent Mac tech that could do it for you quickly and inexpensively.
It took me an hour or 2. Although someone more used to such jobs, could likely to do it in less time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.