Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Over a Mapping program? Really?

I honestly don't know what area you live in, but I've used Apple's Maps app in the area that I currently reside and I have found ZERO errors. I know that certain parts of the world there might be some errors here and there, but I think the whole thing is blown way out of proportion unless you know differently.

In my little village, Apple Maps has not one landmark. Google maps has two, and they are both in the wrong place :mad:

----------

This is just so stupid on Apple's part. Shows complete disregard for the end user experience.

Of course. Google employees spreading rumours proves that Apple is stupid and disregards the end user experience. In your world.

I have personally corrected information using Apple Maps 'Report a problem' weeks ago, and nothing has been adjusted.

And that is a real problem. I sent a suggestion to Apple: 1. Send one email when a problem is reported. 2. Send one email when someone looks at the problem. 3. Send one email when the problem is fixed or the report is rejected.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
You know that the dual-core A6 already blows the quad-core GSIII out of the water, both in terms of CPU and graphics performance, right?

This... Yes, and it does runs my apps much smoother with half the RAM. This argument makes me laugh.

I will say, I did like the GS3 because it was different and Android has much large improvements, but the Apple Ecosystem is great. And I have no reason to change, nor do I plan to.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
Apple maps suck - not for the directions but more for the lack of information compared to google maps

Not sure what this has to do with my post. But, I agree, Apple maps sucks. And, it is for both directions AND lack of information. Why it is run off of yelp garbage data, I do not know. Unfortunately, after being sent on several wild goose chases with Apple Maps, I now use google maps, and then check to see if the Apple map location is accurate.

All that being said, there is ZERO reason that Apple would not approve the Google app. UNLESS, google has put something in the app that they know they should not have in there. Google knows this. So, it makes me suspicious as to why they are saying the things they are saying.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Let's not get all in a tizzy over nothing. This article isn't really news, it's just Google stirring the pot.

At the same time though: Apple, I like you. I really do. But I also like Google. I like you both. But please don't make me choose one or the other, because frankly I don't think you'll like the choice I make.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If this is true and Apple maps hasn't improved by the time I buy my next phone, I'll be purchasing something that allows google maps.

Surprise! iPhone 5 "allows" google maps right now.

http://maps.google.com

You can even add it to your home screen, and it looks and functions an awful lot like a native app.

But, if you're insisting on an actual app that's in the App store using Google Maps, that's there too:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps+/id416753449?mt=8

So relax. This article, and these comments by these "unnamed sources' at Google, are intended to inflame people needlessly, claiming Apple will do (or not do) something it hasn't even had the opportunity to yet. Judging by your comments, they did exactly what they intended to do.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
5+ years of Google Maps iOS and no Turn-By-Turn... We were probably never going to get it because Google favored Android, which I do not blame them for at all...

We were never going to get it because Apple would not agree to Google's terms to get access to the APIs required to fix their own native App (Maps on iOS always was made by Apple, Google only provided the tiles through their API).

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
Maybe. I think its mostly fashion, though. Most Android users are either pimply tech-geeks, or poor people.

(OK, I guess there's also a third category of insecure guys who bought an android phone because it has a bigger screen.)

what a ridiculous post

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
So what. Just submit the app and see what happens.

Maybe google shouldn't have shorted the iphone with there google maps solution for the last several years?

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Wow. Google Employees must be really dumb. Apple WILL approve Google maps....

The statement made by Google was strategic. It was meant to provide visibility into the development and approval of their app. They are using the media as leverage to get their app approved.

Texran

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
Improvement

If apple maps dont improve real quick or they don't approve the app. I'll jail break and move away from the iPhone when my contract is up.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
We were never going to get it because Apple would not agree to Google's terms to get access to the APIs required to fix their own native App (Maps on iOS always was made by Apple, Google only provided the tiles through their API).

Like google didn't know that apple wouldn't agree to their terms. Google what perfectly fine with Android having more functionality with Google maps.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
If Apple denies any Google app they will instantly be investigated for anti-trust violations.

Just like how Microsoft keeps making Word for Apple OS - Apple will keep approving Google apps for iOS. Because then they can point to that approval and say "See, we _are_ allowing competitors access."

Without that Congress will start looking very closely at Apple, and Apple doesn't want that...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Like google didn't know that apple wouldn't agree to their terms. Google what perfectly fine with Android having more functionality with Google maps.

The terms weren't that bad. Basically, instead of "Find my Friends", Google asked Apple use Google Lattitude (same kind of service) and more prominent branding of the maps as belonging to Google.

It's not like they asked for 3 Quadrilion dollars and sharks with laser beams attached to their heads. :rolleyes:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Has anyone used this Quick Route app? Seems like these developers are going to make a lot of money in the next few days (and so will Apple).

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Win, win.

If Apple don't approve it, Google will say "told you so" if it is approved, Google will get their app in the store. Your move Apple.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
What I think Apple should do with Maps is create an algorithm of sorts, and evaluate reports on a given location or problem in Maps. When X amount of people report a given problem, it then lists the adjustments and orders them with the adjustments that are the same from the most amount of people on top, it then selects those listings and corrects them all immediately (no, one wrong person could have their adjustments posted). This would eliminate a vast amount of inaccuracies without a human reviewer needed (this would work best for highly populated areas where a larger number of people would be making adjustments). For the lower populated areas, they could focus the human reviewers for accurate corrections, as obviously, if you had only 2 reported problems for a given location, either person could be incorrect or lying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.