Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I will be buying one of these and painting it black, to use along with a black micro USB charger cable for my car. I don't like having a white cable being super obvious when I leave my car parked in unknown areas.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Snipped for brevity.

I know how heated a discussion can get, especially when you are passionate about something. But see how much better your point comes across (at least IMO)? I appreciate your toning things down. :)

Anyway, while there is an analog audio cable included, it's note needed. Here is a video (it's a little long, because it's an unboxing as well, but fast forward about half way and you will see what you need to see). The large issue, as I pointed out before, is how "wobbly" the phones are in the dock. Truth be told, it looks more like a dock than it actually is IMO. But anyway, when THAT is what you had to try and get around with a bazillion devices, would you care to spend the time doing it? I know I sure wouldn't.

Cheers. :)

That is the same device that Amazon lists as their first hit. Nearly every reviewer complains about the fact that it needs the separate audio cable. A sample review from last month:

The one thing that made me jealous of the iPhone was the litany of devices (including iHome's) that worked with it. I had this vision that I'd be able to dock my phone in, and play audio off it while charging it.

Sadly, no.

Strike 1: In order to work, the phone needs both a USB connection and a 3.5mm line in. When I think about it, it does make sense, since there's no standard for playing 2.1 channel audio out of a microUSB connection.
Strike 2: As other reviewers have alluded, the iHome can't really hold the Galaxy Nexus with any sort of stability--the phone wobbles in the dock if I touch the screen.
Strike 3: There is no integration whatsoever between the phone and the alarm clock.

However, the thing that made me ultimately return this device was that for no good reason, audio would suddenly stop playing, and I'd have to turn it back on again.

Save your money, get a speaker dock instead.

The video did not verify anything for me - it was not clear to me that he wasn't using the line out because he skipped that part of the video, and he uses the phones volume rocker to control the volume. As is common when having to make an accessory that fits all kinds of devices, the phone barely sits upright in the dock.

Anyhow, I've never claimed it to be impossible to make an accessory do this for Android, we know it is quite possible. The problem is that it will work with a limited number of devices and isn't future-proof, and we've still only covered the most basic function of the Apple cable.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Well, you did ask why we were discussing this. The adapter is being sold in the US, where there is no such law. So... that is why people are discussing it. People are discussing what the point of selling it in the US is in the first place (sans law requiring them to do so). Was only trying to politely answer your question is all. :)
Right, well, the adapter may seem pointless today, but once companies like Logitech, Belkin, Kensington etc are producing tons of universal accessories w/ microUSB and BMW/Audi/Mercedes/VW start offering microUSB dock options on cars, it'll be a different story.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
and typical Apple par as normal goes against the spirit of the law any how. Still crap that Apple does not have a micro USB port directly on the phone for charging.

The 'spirit' of the law was that consumers be able to mix and match chargers. With the adapter they can. The court agreed that this was enough, sorry that you don't like it

----------

Apple could cure Cancer and someone in these forums would complain about it. If you don't like apple then simply don't buy their products. I certainly don't waste my time posting crap on the Microsoft blog sites.

Of course they would.

It's too expensive (should be free of course)
It's only available at Apple approved hospitals
They sue anyone that tries to copy their cure

Etc

----------

the world is going to end ohh snappp, what are we going to do with out our cell phones

The world will be massively overgrown in a decade, we'll have to go back to farming our own food, and hunting with bows and arrows. The government will fall and everyone will become master swordsmen.

Or so says JJ Abrams

----------

Can you get video over µUSB? No. = wrong answer. you CAN get video over micro USB.. you just need an adapter to convert the signal to HDMI, but it does allow for sending HDMI data..

this is just one random example: http://www.amazon.com/Menotek-Adapter-IMPROVED-Protocol-Sensation/dp/B005F9W6DU

You need to get a adapter. That is key. Folks are screaming they need an adapter with the lighting plug but they need one for micro USB et as well. So what's the difference really?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The 'spirit' of the law was that consumers be able to mix and match chargers. With the adapter they can. The court agreed that this was enough, sorry that you don't like it

Clearly you do not under stand the difference between spirit and legal requirement. The Spirit would be standard port to charge the phone. Apple pushed to expanded the law to include just having the charger be acceptable.

Apple is going against the spirit of the law.

----------

You need to get a adapter. That is key. Folks are screaming they need an adapter with the lighting plug but they need one for micro USB et as well. So what's the difference really?

Umm one is for charging which is the most common task. The other is for HDMI which is really used.

That is the difference. The key part is how often. One is every day the other is once in a blue moon.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
and typical Apple par as normal goes against the spirit of the law any how. Still crap that Apple does not have a micro USB port directly on the phone for charging.
It's not a law. The commission hasn't made it flat out illegal to sell phones that don't comply with the standard. I understand the confusion since a lot of US-based sources refer to it as a law, but it's not. It's simply a standards initiative that the EU commission pushes, and 90% of the mobile phone manufacturers signed an agreement to comply with it, voluntarily. The commission represents 502 million first-world consumers, so manufacturers tend to listen.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I will be buying one of these and painting it black, to use along with a black micro USB charger cable for my car. I don't like having a white cable being super obvious when I leave my car parked in unknown areas.

This is actually something that concerns me as well. I don't like buying white cables for my car. It's not like I go anywhere questionable every time nor do I live in a questionable area, it's just me. I'm odd. Haha.

And, I also I have a cable that splits apart into either micro USB, mini USB or 30-pin connector to satisfy the friends that ride with me. I'd rather keep that than putting a new lightning cable in my car.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Did anyone find a white, high quality, 10 foot length, USB to micro-USB cord to pair this with? This would be a perfect way to get a 10 foot length charger.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Since this is the first generation of devices with Lightning connectors there should at least be a 30-pin adapter in the box, I think that's fair.

If i was a business like apple that would be the opposite of what i would want to do. They desperately need to push this standard through so accessory makers will do what they do, especially this holiday season.

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
Remember folks:

• The chip in there cost Apple nothing to develop.

• Then, once developed, it costs nothing to make.

• And the chip only exists because Apple wants to kill third-party accessory companies. Teardowns showing dynamic pin capabilities and other future-proofing are lies.

• And USB is FULLY as high-tech and future-proof and durable and easy-to-use as Lightning is. And the old 30-pin connector is just as good too. too. Lightning has no current or future benefits, so we should still be using 10-year-old tech.

• And nobody wants thinner devices or easier, reversible connections anyway. Apple just likes to ram thin and light down our throats.

• And nobody but Apple marks up cables and accessories. All other companies sell at cost.

• And cheap unshielded bootleg accessories are just as good as Apple-certified ones.

• And third-party Lightning accessories have been late to arrive, which is just as bad as never arriving. Waiting for them is simply not possible.

• And a USB cable with this little thing kept permanently on the end is not portable. Only a single bare USB cable is.

• And the Lightning synch/charge cable included in the box with every iPhone and iPad somehow doesn’t already do what most people need from a cable.

Have I summed up the insanity? :)

It took me until about the 5th line to realize you were being sarcastic :eek::D

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
This is actually something that concerns me as well. I don't like buying white cables for my car. It's not like I go anywhere questionable every time nor do I live in a questionable area, it's just me. I'm odd. Haha.

And, I also I have a cable that splits apart into either micro USB, mini USB or 30-pin connector to satisfy the friends that ride with me. I'd rather keep that than putting a new lightning cable in my car.

Hah. Yeah, I don't drive through or park in that sketchy of areas either, but any reason to not give would be thieves another reason to try and break in, the better.

And like you, I too just like the look of black/grey cables along with my interior.

I found a $10 micro USB charger at Target that also has a mini USB adapter, so like you said, then I have all possible chargers for friends :)

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Actually, it can, just maybe in different ways than what apple implemented. It can do video. It can do music. It can sync data. Again, all it can't do is be plugged in any way because it can't assign different tasks to different pins on the fly. Show me where that is actually necessary and I will eat my words. Otherwise, it is a wonderfully cool party trick that the average end user could care less about.

Actually the average user only care about that feature. Ask any non-techie what the think about the new connector and they'll say "it can be inserted anyway".

Also I think you meant "couldn't care less"

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
When I, and many others, placed their orders for the iP5, the Apple web site stated that a connector WAS included in the box. This was later deemed to have been a mistake and Apple relied on their web site terms and conditions to say that they were not responsible for errors.

With too much time on my hands, I challenged this, and initially got the usual brush off. However when I wrote them a letter stating that I was about to take them through the UK Small Claims Court, I received a telephone call and a nice £40 credit to my account - 'to cover my unsatisfactory Apple experience'

Anyone else who ordered the iP5 in the first few hours before Apple changed their site should demand a connector or the value back as a refund.
Everyone in the UK.

You can't sign away your statuary rights or any laws using terms and conditions or anything similar.

This should fall under the Sales of Goods Act as being mis-sold as the product was not sold as described. Worth everyone chasing it up as Apple have broken the law. :)

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
With too much time on my hands, I challenged this, and initially got the usual brush off. However when I wrote them a letter stating that I was about to take them through the UK Small Claims Court, I received a telephone call and a nice £40 credit to my account - 'to cover my unsatisfactory Apple experience'

If you contact the right part of Apple, their customer service is exceptional. My mother was dealing with them about some issues with my MacBook (the local Apple store was useless - I was on my 7th replacement charger), and happened to mention that the price of the iMac had dropped a few weeks after we purchased one. We got an £80 store credit, even though it was just an off-the-cuff remark.

----------

It is foolish to buy one if these. In the long-run, it is more cost effective to just buy a lightening cable.

Not if you have multiple micro-USB chargers already.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I'm happy with what was included. I know I'm not the norm, but I don't have any devices right now that use a micro-usb cable.
I have devices and docking station but still happy with the Lightning connector. It feels solid. As does everything tech changes.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The "spirit" of the silly European law is clearly not in the interest of innovation or improvement- something you would realize if you have ever invented anything.

Stupid laws are stupid.

Actually - the spirit of the EU law is quite sensible. It's the implementation - specifying what type of connector should be in the device that is stupid. Apple's long-time solution for all iOS devices - put a USB A socket on the power supply so that the device could be charged using the same cable that is required to connect it to a computer - has the same practical effect. I already have all the USB power supplies I need, and when I travel I need only take one iPad PSU and a couple of cables with me to charge all my gadgets.

The EU reg will fall apart as soon as HTC, Samsung et. al. try to make phones that are too thin to accommodate a microUSB, switch to wireless charging or realise that they don't want the fugly USB 3 Micro-connector besmirching their phones. It also enables cheapskate manufacturers to ship power-supplies with captive microUSB cables.

As for Lightning - the problem is that there doesn't seem to be much of a user benefit (apart from being easier to plug in) at the moment - just the hassle of changing kit and a lack of compatible accessories (where's the Lightning version of the Camera Connection Kit, for example?)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
USB does not support outputs like: HDMI, VGA, Analoge Audio, Digital Audio Streaming. Or Inputs like SD card reader or USB in interface as it is not reversible.

Ok, its not quite in the shops yet, but I think this sinks most of those points:

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-smart-dock

...all via a MicroUSB connector.

Maybe Apple should prove how wonderful Lightning is by bringing out something better.

Meanwhile, stuff that is available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-Galaxy-i9300-Adapter/dp/B008FBQ9MY

(...and if you can do HDMI you can do digital audio).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNQXS/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ok, its not quite in the shops yet, but I think this sinks most of those points:

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-smart-dock

...all via a MicroUSB connector.

Maybe Apple should prove how wonderful Lightning is by bringing out something better.

Meanwhile, stuff that is available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-Galaxy-i9300-Adapter/dp/B008FBQ9MY

(...and if you can do HDMI you can do digital audio).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNQXS/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b

All that dock does is allow you to connect devices TO the Galaxy Note. It doesn't provide any interface between the device and accessories which is the entire point behind Apple's proprietary connectors. On top of that it's designed for one specific model that will shortly be obsolete.

It's basically a docking station like you'd have for a laptop computer.

primetime3d

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Lightning connector and your 401k

Apple is in the business of making money for their shareholders.

I agree that their prices are exorbitant but this keeps their profit margins high which keeps your 401k from losing money since your fund, most likely, has Apple stock which is buoying the tech shares that are tanking right now.

The decision to go with the lightning connector vs. the micro-USB is a sound business decision.

If people really had a problem with the price, then they wouldn't be purchasing an Apple product.

realjerk

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Remember folks:

• The chip in there cost Apple nothing to develop.

No, it is a standard chip.

• Then, once developed, it costs nothing to make.

Well, not much anyway.

• And the chip only exists because Apple wants to kill third-party accessory companies. Teardowns showing dynamic pin capabilities and other future-proofing are lies.

No, it is in there to identify different kinds of adapters, and in applicable cases switch pins. Don't spread stupid ideas that you don't understand.

• And USB is FULLY as high-tech and future-proof and durable and easy-to-use as Lightning is. And the old 30-pin connector is just as good too. too. Lightning has no current or future benefits, so we should still be using 10-year-old tech.

No, USB can only do a subset of what Lightning can. USB is only one of the things Lightning can carry. Don't spread stupid ideas that you don't understand.

• And nobody wants thinner devices or easier, reversible connections anyway. Apple just likes to ram thin and light down our throats.

I think reversible connectors are brilliant, and many others too. You are just running out of arguments (not even half way through).

• And nobody but Apple marks up cables and accessories. All other companies sell at cost.

Oh, really? How come they are typically as expensive for all higher status brands then?

• And cheap unshielded bootleg accessories are just as good as Apple-certified ones.

No, a lot of them aren't.

• And third-party Lightning accessories have been late to arrive, which is just as bad as never arriving. Waiting for them is simply not possible.

What?

People had to wait quite a while for 30-pin accessories. It seems they have been selling quote good anyway, and still do.

• And a USB cable with this little thing kept permanently on the end is not portable. Only a single bare USB cable is.

What? Are you for real?

• And the Lightning synch/charge cable included in the box with every iPhone and iPad somehow doesn’t already do what most people need from a cable.

It doesn't? It does USB, that you says can do it all. How come it doesn't?

Have I summed up the insanity? :)

Yours? No, but we have got a feeling...

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
nagromme, I know I've been gone a long time, but it's amusing to me to see that sarcasm still isn't picked up on by so many people, no matter how blatant one tries to make it.

Your post was brilliant, by the way.

LOL. Page 6 and people still haven't caught on. :p

No, it is a standard chip.

Well, not much anyway.

No, it is in there to identify different kinds of adapters, and in applicable cases switch pins. Don't spread stupid ideas that you don't understand.

No, USB can only do a subset of what Lightning can. USB is only one of the things Lightning can carry. Don't spread stupid ideas that you don't understand.

I think reversible connectors are brilliant, and many others too. You are just running out of arguments (not even half way through).

Oh, really? How come they are typically as expensive for all higher status brands then?

No, a lot of them aren't.

What?

People had to wait quite a while for 30-pin accessories. It seems they have been selling quote good anyway, and still do.

What? Are you for real?

It doesn't? It does USB, that you says can do it all. How come it doesn't?

Yours? No, but we have got a feeling...

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
oooh please enough with this all this!!
am i the only one thinking the best charging connector ever was this:
1136_nokia%201b.jpg

it's small, smaller than every other connector on any smartphone.
you can plug it in infinite directions, ligtning only support two, microUSB just one.
it does what it's needed for: CHARGE the battery. stop.
for music you use a dammit 3.5 jack cable, for video you use wifi signal, and for everything else you use the cloud (no intention on raising a discussion about clouds here and now).
my job is done here.

elec999

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
I dont get it, why would anyone want to but this adapter, when the cable is $2 more or same price?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.