Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
One of the main things that I have used on my iPad since day one is the YouTube app. So, when I first heard that apple was removing it, I was upset, but at the same time okay with it because I heard that Google was going to release their own app for it. They eventually did for the iPhone, which was great, but its been over a month and a half and still no app for iPad, and the iPhone app is still not updated for iPhone 5. What I am wondering is if user experience is Apple's top priority why wouldn't they set aside their differences with Google and work with them to make sure that there was a good way to access YouTube before launching iOS 6? The best way to do it now is through the website, which is an overall bad experience. Remember the days when iOS updates added more functionality instead of taking functionality away? But I guess my main question is when will there be a good way to access youtube from the iPad? Or are there any good solutions that I am missing?

Alicia4065

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
NJ
Someone here mention a app called McTube there is a free and paid version and it works well plus allow you to download within app.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Try Jasmine. It's free, designed well, and is an iPad app. It also has all the same functionality as the YouTube app.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
One of the main things that I have used on my iPad since day one is the YouTube app. So, when I first heard that apple was removing it, I was upset, but at the same time okay with it because I heard that Google was going to release their own app for it. They eventually did for the iPhone, which was great, but its been over a month and a half and still no app for iPad, and the iPhone app is still not updated for iPhone 5. What I am wondering is if user experience is Apple's top priority why wouldn't they set aside their differences with Google and work with them to make sure that there was a good way to access YouTube before launching iOS 6? The best way to do it now is through the website, which is an overall bad experience. Remember the days when iOS updates added more functionality instead of taking functionality away? But I guess my main question is when will there be a good way to access youtube from the iPad? Or are there any good solutions that I am missing?

I am right there with you. I have been more than frustrated witht the lack of app for ipad and aggrevated that they have not updated the iphone to the 4" screen.

for the last month everytime I see an update badge I think "surely this is the update" only to be dissapointed.

I have found an app called YouPlayer that is a bit better than the browser but I find myself still wanting the old app back.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
McTube is a Godsend on my iPad 4. It supports 1080p HD video! I watched several 1080 videos where I could clearly see pores on people's faces. The clarity is stunning. McTube should be the default iPad app because its excellent

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
It is very easy to add the YouTube link to your home screen on an iPad. Go to youtube.com. in Safari look for the icon box with arrow. Click on it and you will see the option to "Add to Home Screen".

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Jasmine is alright. It is still missing a lot of functionality (like the ability to sort search results) but unfortunately there aren't many other options. I have found that the YouTube website is usually pretty good except I can't fin any way to actually play videos full screen.

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Jasmine is the only one I've found so far that doesn't irritate me so it gets my vote.

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
Another vote for Jasmine. It works pretty well but I'll switch to Google's YouTube app the second it's available for iPad and updated for iPhone 5.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Do youtube links open into these apps? That is the main thing I miss, hitting a link from Twitter and going to the mobile site where you can't fullscreen a video all the way.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
McTube is a Godsend on my iPad 4. It supports 1080p HD video! I watched several 1080 videos where I could clearly see pores on people's faces. The clarity is stunning. McTube should be the default iPad app because its excellent

This... much better than Jasmine imo, I have both, the layout is just like the old one/original Youtube app, and much easier to navigate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.