Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I wonder if Google really does have an app in the works, or if they're just trying to give Apple some bad PR. It is possible to deploy apps OTA. If nothing pops up by the end of the year, I guess we'll have our answer.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
The terms weren't that bad. Basically, instead of "Find my Friends", Google asked Apple use Google Lattitude (same kind of service) and more prominent branding of the maps as belonging to Google.

It's not like they asked for 3 Quadrilion dollars and sharks with laser beams attached to their heads. :rolleyes:

Do we know that? We do know Google got real proud of their maps when they significantly raised the pricing on apps that used the tiniest fraction of their maps APIs.

readwrite.com/2011/10/26/google_maps_api_paid_no_longer_free

Yes, Google did eventually relent somewhat on their exorbitant pricing, but I'm sure Apple identified their integration with Google Maps as a huge strategic risk the day that came to light, if not before.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I am just not that into having google maps on IOS.

For me and my family we don't miss Google maps at all and I can't see wasting time trying to force Apple to have google maps.

I am into having google maps on IOS.

For me and my family we miss Google maps and I can see me wasting my time trying to force Apple to have google maps.

^ See what I did there.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Did you all look at the two apps mentioned? Not that impressive. I get the point of the issue on google data but if those apps are are not directly marketed by Apple not really a great loss.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I'm sure Apple would approve an official Google Maps app.

But... I think they will really take their time in doing so...

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We were never going to get it because Apple would not agree to Google's terms to get access to the APIs required to fix their own native App (Maps on iOS always was made by Apple, Google only provided the tiles through their API).

Like google didn't know that apple wouldn't agree to their terms. Google what perfectly fine with Android having more functionality with Google maps.

The terms weren't that bad. Basically, instead of "Find my Friends", Google asked Apple use Google Lattitude (same kind of service) and more prominent branding of the maps as belonging to Google.

Interesting information, but I can understand Apple wanting to retain control. I am sure if Google knew what was happening, they would have altered their terms in order to remain as the Map provider for iOS (It seemed like they were blind sided by the Apple Maps announcement from the articles I read).

As far as a native app is concerned, I wouldn't want a third party developing it either. That way, if there are problems with it, it is actually my fault (if I were Apple). And, if there is a problem, I can address it as quickly as I see fit, without depending on the third party to address it the issue quickly, especially if that third party in my #1 OS competitor.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
It was on the front page of MacRumors. Since you have a negative bias against Google though, feel free to not reply to me on this subject. I don't want to get into an endless flamewar about your personnal Google vendetta.

Look, I'm sure arn is a good guy and all, but just because it makes the front page of MacRumors doesn't necessarily make it true. Didn't we all discern that the sources on that original story had to be from Google?

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
If you ask me, this is nonsense. Obviously the application will get approved, it just sounds like Google doesn't actually want to release their Google Maps for iOS devices. Why? Because arguably google maps is the only main feature Android phones have over iPhone 5. So they might want to keep it Android exclusive and market how the iPhone doesn't have street view or interior maps, etc.

All this article shows is that while Apple will approve the application (as Google mentions other mapping applications that utilize google maps are on the iPhone) they just aren't going to advertise that everyone use them. With good reason, Apple doesn't want everyone to ditch their mapping software otherwise everything they have worked for would have been for naught.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Apple would be stupid not approving Google maps.
When they get their own maps app fixed, people will start using it since it will be preinstalled on any iOS device with GPS.
Even if not, I don´t think it hurts Apple that much when I buy an iPhone and use a most likely free app from Google.
Still better than not having the best maps app available so far on their devices.
Btw I haven´t more or less problems with Apple´s maps than I had with Google´s.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
This is just so stupid on Apple's part. Shows complete disregard for the end user experience.

What about this, exactly, is "on Apple's part" at all? :confused:

What we have here is an article which *speculates* about the possibility of a future event based exclusively on the supposition of an unnamed Google employee. :rolleyes:

Apple isn't even *involved* in this article! :eek:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Look, I'm sure arn is a good guy and all, but just because it makes the front page of MacRumors doesn't necessarily make it true. Didn't we all discern that the sources on that original story had to be from Google?

Nope, we didn't, Mr. Personal vendetta. The source was an article in some online newspaper MacRumors always uses like the WSJ or some such. I'm not wasting time looking it up again, especially not for you.

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
I wonder what kind of "poison pill" that Google is planning to slip into the app, making it non compliant with the App Store policies. They could do that just to get the disapproval so Google can wave the disapproval in the air to show how mean Apple is.

It is possible that is Googles plan. if people think Apple can be petty, so can Google.

ultrasg

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
After the howls that came from Google Voice to the point where members of Congress were sending letters to Apple, I don't think they can really block Google Maps without good reason.

Totally agree. Further, because Google Maps lived on the iPhone and iPad since its inception, under what legal guise would they not approve it. Seems like a legal slam dunk for Google to force Apple to approve the app.

If not, someone will (or likely has) prepare a class action suit against Apple.

I know many people haven't had any problems, but MANY of us have. Living in NYC I rely on a Map App daily and the Apple Maps App is so terrible, that I'd honestly only be able to recommend an iOS device to someone with a caveat. Since 1984, I've never done such a thing!

Apple will approve or a Court will force it.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Just as much as Apple was blind sided by Android. Geez, all the acquisitions both sides were in the news.

I just personally would not want a third party to have control of a native app for my device. So I agree with Apple's decision there. But, you were right, they probably could have found agreeable terms. I am sure it is not easy negotiating with a competitor, look at Samsung and Apple.

Apple would be stupid not approving Google maps.
When they get their own maps app fixed, people will start using it since it will be preinstalled on any iOS device with GPS.

You have a point there.. And if it isn't a free app, Then Apple and Google would benefit from it. Although, they would probably not be able to improve their native app as quickly because so many people are loyal to Google Maps and would download the Google App, even if you had to pay for it.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006

It's not like they asked for 3 Quadrilion dollars and sharks with laser beams attached to their heads. :rolleyes:

You were there at the contract negotiations, and you're breaking your NDA to speak publicly about it? :eek:

Or are you just speculating?

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
customers will have the final word...

Google Maps will be back one day

now that Cook apologized for Forstall's mistakes and fired him

Cook wants what is best for us

ok then, give us back Google Maps :D

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I don't think Apple will deny approval. Why would Apple do so? They have approved Google search, which competes with Siri, Gmail, Chrome, etc. Apple has never denied approval of Google apps mimicking features Apple already offers. Why do so now?
Apple originally rejected the Google Voice app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.