Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
There you go.
Dont listen to IMEI sites, only 100% to verify is stick another sim in.
People go nuts believing those fake IMEI sites. Most are wront and some intentionally tell you its locked so you can use their unlock services.

THIS.
I know my iphone is unlocked. I tried 3 sites. All three said it was locked.

chalia

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Haven't even found unlocks for basebands 5.11.08? for almost a year now. I doubt they'll ever catch up with unlocking through gevey or redsn0w.

I have seen 2 IPSW files online. One for CDMA models and another for GSM. Do you think doing a FR and restoring on GSM ipsw would atleast release the GSM lock ?

*btw, I tried the popping the sim out and in while doing a complete restore on itunes; and for a moment it did read my tmobile sim and I was able to see my tmobile number up on itunes. (i automatically download the firmware and didnt manually load the ipsw)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have seen 2 IPSW files online. One for CDMA models and another for GSM. Do you think doing a FR and restoring on GSM ipsw would atleast release the GSM lock ?

*btw, I tried the popping the sim out and in while doing a complete restore on itunes; and for a moment it did read my tmobile sim and I was able to see my tmobile number up on itunes. (i automatically download the firmware and didnt manually load the ipsw)

No, it will never make any difference.
The ipsw has nothing to do with the unlock.
That's done on Apples activation server.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Besides the time frame I dont see what else the difference would be.
It will either be unlocked or not.
There's no better unlock than someone elses.
Perhaps. It just seems odd that the "Chronic" types are charging 25 or so and someone else will do it for $2. And both are still in business. Usually with such a disparity the higher end businesses adapt or go away...I'm speaking from NO experience here, but just wondering out loud how two hypothetical businesses could provide a different approach (they look quite different) to the same end and be so different in pricing.

newportbeach

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
A little slow here - what is the big advantage of unlocking your phone? You'll still have termination fees if you switch to another carrier so are people using more than one carrier?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
A little slow here - what is the big advantage of unlocking your phone? You'll still have termination fees if you switch to another carrier so are people using more than one carrier?

The only other advantage I knew was that unlocked phones sell for more, but who would pay more now that unlocks are as easy to get as air.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North

Travelling. You can then use a pay as you go sim from the other country and save roaming fees.

Or if you decide to sell your phone. You have a wider audience to sell to.

chalia

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Travelling. You can then use a pay as you go sim from the other country and save roaming fees.

Or if you decide to sell your phone. You have a wider audience to sell to.

no one can unlock the iphone 5 on cricket yet :(

erghh....

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
That's a surprise in Apple's scene nowadays.

Go ahead with it, gevey still useful, but not much as yesterday.

chalia

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Ladies and gentlemen, I just activated cricket iphone 5 on MTN Nigeria.

Ya it works on international sim cards

At the moment you cant get local (US) sim cards to work and no one can unlock it either..

I tried my Srilankan sim (dialog) and that works fine

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
FYI, fusion worked great for me. Just got back from 10 days in Australia, I got a $50 voda nano sim at the airport that got me 1GB of data and $1000 worth of calls ( I used 900 MB and about $200 of the call credit). I was one of those that rolled the dice after reading this thread. It was like christmas morning when the iphone 5 booted up with the foreign sim. Facetime over cellular and tethering worked perfectly.
Thanks all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.