Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jack92029

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Yes, after start up

Yes, I have black screen sometimes immediately after startup. I'm using HDMI. Doesn't happen after the computer "warms up" .

mckey

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
No problems here with my 2012 mac mini 2.6 Ghz I7. I've had it connected to two monitors so far a Viewsonic VX2453MH via the HMDI cable .

And now have it hooked up to my older dell 2209wa monitor with the apple HMDI to DVI adaptor no problem........

sean barry

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Belding, MI
My new mini running thru HDMI to HDMI 32" Samsung TV was washed out to the point of not seeing the scroll bars. tweaking the TV and the Mini has fixed the problem.
Has anyone contacted Apple? The more complaints the quicker the fix?

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I've not seen any yet.

I've been running on a mixture of MDP to DVI-D and HDMI but I'm waiting until I get several hours of uninterrupted HDMI use before I relax completely. Given the prevalence of the reports, I am half expecting to see the issue.

It has been reported to Apple, according to the other thread and there are similar issues being raised on the Intel forums about it as well, so hopefully, whatever is causing it for so many people, it can be fixed with a software update.

I'm running an i7 2.3 with 4gb over HDMI to a Samsung LED HDTV.

Last edited:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
2012 server - been running DVI and not a single issue. Put the hdmi-dvi adaptor in last night and today a black screen that went to static. swapped the dvi plug from the hdmi adapter to the miniDP one and all is back well.

I guess there is an issue somewhere

on a side note: with the hdmi straight to my screen the picture is lousy (colours washy/burned and text not crisp). - using hdmi-DVI and picture is as good as the miniDP-DVI.

Groovesquad

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
I am having this issue with a stock 2.3 i7 Mac mini connected via the supplied hdmi->dvi converter to a Samsung P2450. Blackouts occur about every 2 hours and usually last for half a second. Sometimes the monitor looses sync after the blackout and displays static. I then need to power cycle the monitor.

Using a direct hdmi connection, I do get washed out whites and an overall crappy picture quality. Not sure if the blackouts happen with this connection.

I am really disappointed with this behavior. Not sure if I should change it for another model.

pup

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
OK, so I've been up and running for three or four days now with two monitors, a DVI Apple Cinema Display (1920 x 1200) and a DVI Wacom Cintiq 21UX (1600 x 1200). I'm using both the supplied HDMI/DVI converter and a Monoprice MiniDisplayPort/DVI converter. I'm also using an Analog to Digital DVI convertor for the Cintiq.

So far I've had no problems at all. I've tried both monitors on each converter for at least a day each and haven't seen anything strange. I'm running 16GB, which gives me 768MB of memory for the HD Graphics 4000, so that might make a difference.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
2012 server - been running DVI and not a single issue. Put the hdmi-dvi adaptor in last night and today a black screen that went to static. swapped the dvi plug from the hdmi adapter to the miniDP one and all is back well.

What do you mean by: "that went to static"??

DitteVilladsen

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
2.6 i7 16 GB Fusion

In the very beginning I had the snow screen once. Nothing since. I started with the Mac mini's converter plugged into a Dell dual VGA cable, then switched to an HDMI cable, and finally, to get 2640x1440, to a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. No black screens, not snow except that one time (on VGA).

Black screens are characteristic of digital cables I think, where the data just runs out and there's nothing to show. That could happen when something is slowing the flow down. Not sure what that would be in the mini.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Do we know if this is a hardware issue that will warrant replacement, or something a firmware update could solve?

It's making me hesitant to buy the mini now. I have an Apple Cinema Display HD 23", and I was planning to use the HDMI->DVI adapter. Was planning to use the Thunderbolt port as well, so I'm not sure how well a mini-DisplayPort->DVI adapter will work when daisy-chained.

JayChou

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Mini 2012 intel 2.6 GHz i7 stock ram 4G + dual daisy chained 27" Thunderbolt Displays, only not response after Computer Sleep (not Display sleep). No blackout, No flickering.

After replace stock ram with Transcend #TS8GAP1600S 16G (pulled from my Mini 2011 AMD), the primary display will blackout and not response when there are no activity going on but the daisy chained displays will randomly flicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.