Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Did Google Voice ever leave "in approbation" limbo ?

Was there for months, and we never really heard about it again (I'm still waiting for the official Canadian release of the service though, thanks CRTC !).

While the CRTC sucks, the Canadian release of the service is being restricted in part by Google themselves. Google doesn't want to build in e911 into their service. Dell Voice, which is similar to Google Voice but not nearly as good, works in Canada and isn't blocked by the CRTC precisely because they register your number with e911 services. It doesn't seem to me to involve too much so I don't see why Google just wouldn't comply with the terms. But whatever. Hopefully at some point in the future Google Voice will exist in Canada. In the mean time there is always Dell Voice which is good enough for me (I don't need to own a home phone or cell plan, data only is the way to go).

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Apple,

Update your map for transit options, as soon as possible. That's how the bulk of New Yorkers get around. That's why we prefer Google, at the moment. Thanks.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Imagine if it has turn-by-turn directions. That would be an huge slap in the face of Apple :D

Not having turn-by-turn directions was one of the chief reasons Apple got rid of Google Maps. Google refused to provide the same functionality as in its Android app. Google was using its market power to damage Apple. Now the haters say Apple has no right to respond in kind.

Since the majority of MacRumors users are Apple haters these days you can completely dismiss their trolling about the Apple maps app. Survey after survey confirms most users are not concerned about the maps app. Apple may or may not approve any new Google Maps app but if it does not include turn-by-turn it almost certainly will NOT get approved. Apple is calling Google's bluff.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I have noticed some improvement to Apple Maps, especially with POIs getting better for where I live. I just need public transit now, and the 3rd party public transit apps don't work as well for where I live. Hopefully a future update to Apple Maps will include public transit. At least the maps is showing some improvements though

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I can't believe how immature Apple has become. Sue everyone who make similar hardware, and block everyone who make better software.

Dude, read the article before commenting! Apple hasn't rejected anything.

:rolleyes: :confused:

----------

Imagine if it has turn-by-turn directions. That would be an huge slap in the face of Apple :D

Of course google maps on ios will have turn by turn directions, as it does on Android. This was one of the reasons that Apple dropped google maps, because google refused to add turn by turn to the app. Apple wanted it to be equal, and when google wasn't going to do it, Apple dropped them.

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
If you ask me, this is nonsense. Obviously the application will get approved, it just sounds like Google doesn't actually want to release their Google Maps for iOS devices. Why? Because arguably google maps is the only main feature Android phones have over iPhone 5. So they might want to keep it Android exclusive and market how the iPhone doesn't have street view or interior maps, etc.

All this article shows is that while Apple will approve the application (as Google mentions other mapping applications that utilize google maps are on the iPhone) they just aren't going to advertise that everyone use them. With good reason, Apple doesn't want everyone to ditch their mapping software otherwise everything they have worked for would have been for naught.

This is untrue on every level! Apple made technical suicide with their Maps program. Hence the releasing of the main iOS developer. Maps isn't the only main feature Android phones have over iphone 5. There's photosphere, there's NFC, there's widgets, there's openness, and there's a ton more if you would like me to name off more.

This is why Apple fanatics are just so wrong and have so many misconceptions on the android device. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Do me a favor next time, research very very well before posting fanboyish answers.

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
I can't believe how immature Apple has become. Sue everyone who make similar hardware, and block everyone who make better software.

Then you probably have not read Steve Jobs bio. He said he will use all profits Apple made to correct the wrongs Google did to Apple.

TheReadyPrompt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Tim, Eddy, and Company: stop futzing around with this kindergarten contretemps. Grow up and let a mapping expert compete in your ecosystem. Thanks.

Last edited:

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
If their Maps app doesn't have Malware, then they have to submit to find out. Apple has other Google apps on the Apple App Store, so why not?

What's Google afraid of? That it might have Malware or some code that Apple doesn't want them getting access to like personal information?

I think Google is trying to get our sympathy. Pathetic attempt at it since I didn't buy their little plea of sympathy. Freaking children and their little games they play.

Get some fresh air.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
That's what we need...less choice.

I can understand Apple wanting to remove Google from the iPhone in favor of their own mapping solution, but the way they are going about it is how a 5 year old child would.

Personally, I have yet to have any problems with Apple Maps, but since so many people are having issues, Apple should have prepared (which Tim Cook is famous for doing) and had Maps ready to go at launch. Only then would this child-like behavior "seem" warranted, but right now it's just pathetic.

I still think that if google comes up with a maps app that they will be approved.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If this is true and Apple maps hasn't improved by the time I buy my next phone, I'll be purchasing something that allows google maps. Outside of calls, texts and email, the map is by far my most used app, and Apple maps is very nearly completely useless.

Agreed. Unless Apple includes certain features in Apple maps, like the locations of subway stations then I'm not getting an iPhone 5 this time around.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Google has the better Maps app. The better voice search app. The better mobile OS. Yeesh. Step your game up, Apple.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
My gut tells me Apple will try to keep it out

And the only evidence I have of that is the fact that they are now banning emoji apps and the letters they are sending out states that "apps that provide duplicated functionality to what's already offered in the OS will not be allowed..."

Wouldn't Google Maps be seen as providing duplicate functionality?? I really hope they allow it. If they dont I think it opens a big can of worms as far as antitrust issues are concerned.

Sensa

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
PR spin & Pot Stirring 101

geeze...can't you people see a good old fashioned pot stirring, muck raking PR release when you see one...Google let this be "known" just to cause apple grief, attempt to play into the "closed" apple eco-system nonsense and try to steal a few customers in the process.

It's all a bunch of BS because of the very well-known antitrust implications that would come into play and the lengthy legal implications and congressional /European Union scrutiny that would inevitably occur as a result of attempting to block such a widespread product aka the Microsoft / Netscape battle.

and, oh by the way, Google is spending all that time and effort because it won't get approved...yeah right...more likely they are just trying to cover up for the fact that they haven't put that much energy or effort into getting it done faster

P.t barnum said there are suckers born every minute and you have all been sucked in by Google, yet again, who continually try to portray themselves as open etc., etc., while data-mining your life away for their own benefit.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The iPhone empire was built with google services...
I want to keep google services on my iPhone.
Will I ever get to upgrade beyond iOS 5.1.1 (or get a new device)?
Your move apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.